Posted: May 3rd 2011 10:23AM Snichy said

The blog suggests that the level segregation hasn't been implemented yet but will be for OB. I wonder if this will be optional or if high-skilled players wont be allowed to play with newbies which I think would be an improvement as people of equal skill should play together, however on last look unless matchmaking has improved the high ranked people (with the better weapons) can easily kill the lowbies rendering it extremely frustrating at lower levels/ranks.

Fingers crossed it will be fun and worth a few hours of our time...!

Posted: May 3rd 2011 10:46AM jmerriex said

@Snichy We are attempting to get skill rating live by Open Beta. That may slip, so no promises but that is what we're working on as I write this. District segmentation will happen after we get skill rating live.

The basic concepts of District segmentation means that if you are highly skilled you won't be able to play in lower skilled districts. However, your friends CAN join you in higher skilled rooms. We're also considering allowing a premium free-for-all room.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 11:30AM Snichy said

@jmerriex. Thanks - sounds just what is needed.

If equally skilled/ranked players can play with each other then match-ups should be fair. Most of the negativity and ragequitting comes from low levelled people getting annihilated by high ranking players (or high players finding it too easy!) but if high rollers aren't allowed in lowbie districts, we can cruise the city safe in the knowledge any battles will be against similarly skilled people!

Posted: May 3rd 2011 1:53PM (Unverified) said

@Snichy

This is quite an ignorant post. The starter weapon is arguably one of the best guns in the game at the moment. Also the modifications offer no real advantage, only options. There is no benefit without substantial drawbacks in the current system.

Threat levels and ranks mean very little as well.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 3:11PM Snichy said

@(Unverified). Your reply might have carried more weight without the unnecessary opening sentence - are you as rude and disrespectful to people you meet face to face? Regardless, what you said was almost entirely inaccurate. The STAR weapon is nowhere near the best weapon in the game and irrespective of that, it is personal choice and everyone's opinion is different. Modifications offer no advantage? Threat and rank mean nothing? Nonsense.

Clearly the point of my post (and the game) was about matching similarly "skilled" players together regardless of rank and threat level.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 3:51PM jmerriex said

@Snichy I think that unverified is referring to the current state of the game. It is widely held by the CBT community that the Star is a strong weapon and Modifiers (upgrades) now have disadvantages that make it so you don't become horribly overpowered.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 4:52PM (Unverified) said

@Snichy

I've been in closed beta since the first wave. I hold a legitimate 11-13 threat level. I use the STAR and JOKER exclusively. The STAR is the starting gun that EVERYONE starts with, and the JOKER is unlockable within 30 minutes of play.

You clearly have no concept of the current state of APB. It is not the game that it was when it shut down.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 5:25PM Snichy said

@(Unverified). Good for you but I'm not impressed. I have been in the game since the original beta as well as this beta so your assumption that I have no concept is unsurprisingly ill-informed. However I have no interest in entering into a discussion with people who only think that their opinion is valid.

A word to the wise, everyone's opinion is different and just because you enjoy something doesn't mean someone else has to. We don't all need to play the same way to gain enjoyment out of the game.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 5:36PM (Unverified) said

@Snichy

Then you must just be bad.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 8:21PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Then you just stfu. kthnxbai

Posted: May 3rd 2011 10:35AM Fakeassname said

>.>

why oh why is everything that I want to play getting released the same week I start my compressed course summer classes that have me sitting through 4 hour long class sessions.

this is like the fourth game that has done this to me.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 12:01PM paterah said

@Fakeassname Yeah, only major release in April was Portal 2. Everything else is coming May and early June just in time for my exams lol.

Posted: May 4th 2011 5:19PM Hookan91 said

@paterah What about Mortal Kombat?

Posted: May 3rd 2011 11:00AM DaveEllis said

The game has made significant strides since the RTW release. The levelling up system is better, and much more logical. It's all explained in the menus and all quite sensible, which is the exact opposite of what RTW did.

The performance and lag still needs work though. Several of the servers are almost unplayable, whilst others give significantly better performance. My entire clan suffers from huge lag spikes, and the server FPS drops really kill things. It also should run significantly better on decent hardware.

GF have made brilliant decisions regarding game play and levelling systems, but some love needs to be given to the serious performance issues.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 12:00PM bobfish said

@DaveEllis

Whilst my rank may be significantly lower in APB:R, I have actually progressed an awful lot further than I ever did in the RTW version thanks to the changes they've made.

So nice being able to pledge to anyone you want, rather than being forced to pledge with the group leader's contact.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 12:01PM jmerriex said

@DaveEllis One of the reasons we've delayed the release of Open Beta was the East Coast data center. We hope by the 18th that will be live which should give significant relief to a number of players. We're also making many tweaks to the network and servers to continue to improve performance.

The next two weeks will be focused on polish, punkbuster and performance.

Posted: May 4th 2011 1:59AM DaveEllis said

@jmerriex I'm a Euro, playing (obviously) on the Euro servers, Obeya world. I've noticed a massive variance in how the servers in the world perform. Financial EN1 for example is quite poor, whilst EN2 is excellent. Waterfront EN2 is almost unplayable for me and my entire clan. It was the same in the RTW days as well.

Hopefully GF can get to the bottom of the issues. Great improvements have been made, hopefully these can be sorted.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 12:57PM Lyones said

• Half a heart
ANYONE WHO ALREADY HAS DECIDED TO GIVE UP WITH APB, CAN PLEASE GIVE ME HIS CBT ACCOUNT? ...I'D REALLY LOVE TO TRY IT NOW...

Posted: May 3rd 2011 5:18PM ultimateq said

I've had the pleasure of joining for the closed beta recently. The game has made significant strides forward.

A lot of bugs have been squashed. Namely:

- Crashing frequently, I haven't crashed once.
- Sound Stuttering Issue that completely killed my performance. Some people referred to it as the "Realtek bug", but it actually affected all sorts of users, not just realtek users.
- Car handling makes a bit more sense. The Vegas (old camaro style car) slides around like CRAZZZYY and is a ton of fun.

Load times are still atrocious, though.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories