Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:12AM Ehra said

I don't see why not. Vindictus technically doesn't let you make your own "character" either; you choose a person who already has their own class and gender fixed and decided for you. They even already have a name (Vann, Eve, Fino). All the player gets to do is mess with their skin color and hair pretty much. Despite that, Vindictus seems to be considered a "MMO" around here. :)

I also don't see what the big problem is as far as MMO design being "regressed" or anything like that. These guys want their super hero MMO to be unique from others, and the way they're going to do that is by having player play iconic heroes. Not every MMO needs every feature every other MMO has. I'm sure they'll come up with ways to still customize your person.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:23AM Ehra said

@Ehra Fiona, sorry. Not sure how I managed that misspelling up there :)

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:04AM Jef Reahard said

@Ehra

That depends on who you ask, tbh. I personally put Vindictus in the same unfortunate category as MUO for the reasons you listed (and a few others).

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:12AM Birk said

Yikes...

The biggest seller for me, and indeed anyone I know in an MMO, is customization and personalization of your avatar. If I don't feel like I'm playing my own character, then it doesn't matter how cool the game mechanics and fights are...I just don't feel emotionally attached to my victories.

Spiderman, Wolverine, The Hulk...they've had their moments of glory over 25+ years of comic history. Your average MMO playing fellow? He wants his.

-Birk

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:13AM Birk said

@Birk

"Anyone I know" might have been sensational. Let me say, any of my MMO-made, or real-life friends that play MMOs.

-Birk

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:06AM (Unverified) said

@Birk You got it, bud. MMO games are, to me and most of the people I know, a chance to tell a story with others, underneath the dungeon grinds and raids. Having an avatar that you can customize is an essential element to telling that story.

It might be massively multiplayer online, but it doesn't represent what I think it at the core of the MMO(RPG) genre.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:52AM Spookimitsu said

@Birk
But they don't say you won't be able to customize the character you play as, you just have to play a Marvel Character.

Beyonder is just cheating though.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:14AM godly967 said

lets just hope its not a collection of minigames like certain other "mmos" (im looking at you star wars)

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:29AM Yellowdancer said

I don't think it is.

If they can deliver a Marvel Ultimate Alliance or X-men Lengends clone with more characters and its fun, doesn't matter if its an MMO or not.

CO, DCUO and COH are all MMO's that left most of the fun on the cutting room floor.

I'd rather have fun and not be a MMO over the alternative.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:20AM Zerogrifter said

@Yellowdancer
I really agree with this - as long as they don't market it as an MMO and instead label it a a multiplayer online game (MOG) so they manage players expectations, I think it will be fine.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:35AM PsiLAN said

If i can't play my own character and let it grow... it's not an MMO.

As if it wasn't bad enough to play a "MMO" game like DC under the shadow of the big ones (supes, bats...), where you already know you are not the main character, just a secondary.
Now you are the main character, nice, but you are anothers player character. I can tell the story of spiderman nor wolverine. Its already told.

Nice move for a standalone (arkham assylum), or even for a multiplayer game... but not for a MMO.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:12AM Sephirah said

@PsiLAN

You took the wrong part of MMORPG: if you cannot create and grow your own character, it's not a RPG, but if the game is Massively Multiplayer and Online it's still a MMO.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:34AM Lenn said

@Sephirah If you Play the Role of a character in an Online Game that is Massively Multiplayer, you're playing an MMORPG.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:53AM Ehra said

@Sephirah "if you cannot create and grow your own character, it's not a RPG"

Then what is Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy series if not RPGs?

Posted: May 2nd 2011 3:47PM Tizmah said

@Ehra You do develop your characters in both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy. However, they have a pre-set template for their characters. This makes for better storytelling because the hero doesn't have to be generic and actually have an in-depth background. Many games incorporate RPG elements now. That's why the line is spread so thin and debatable as to what an RPG is.

Posted: May 8th 2011 9:38PM joemarra052075 said

@Ehra I don't really count those as RPG's. They are stat boxes. Sorry but RPG does not mean levels and stats. It means Role Playing.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:40AM SiML said

Without customisation this is only ever going to be 'Marvel Ultimate Alliance Online' for me.
I will play it to explore the 'making your own Marvel continuity' Bendis described, I will play it for the stories, but there is absolutely no way I'm inve$ting one of Marvel's characters through microtransactions because at the end of the day I'm not going to feel personally invested.

A massive misreading of what makes the genre Superhero MMOs creative and fun, and a massive opportunity for the competition.
As far as I see it, if the competition concentrates on the story telling element of their games then they can easily counter the arrival of Marvel Universe.

Make mine Champions-Online / CoH.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:43AM Ryn said

There seems to be a huge market for A super Hero MMO, which brings me to a question...Why hasn't anyone gotten this right? Players want to make their own Super Hero without being bound to a certain look. The only game that I know of that allows this is Champions Online. It amazes me the DCUO and now Marvel have taken the missteps they have. I don't think either will survive in the long run. Both of these games have done and will do lasting damage to their respective brands.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:19AM Furdinand said

@Ryn You end up with a host of possible "looks" in DCUO. You just don't get them at level 1 for the same reason that you don't get Tier 11 Armor at character creation in WoW.
Also, Have you never heard of a game called City of Heroes/City of Villians?
One of the most distinct features of existing Superhero MMOs is little any other them are bound to specific looks when compared to other MMOs. That is what makes Marvels announcement so jarring.
As for the original question. I guess it depends on whether there is any sort of player progression. Too early to tell, but I don't like what I am hearing so far. Though maybe they will come out with an idea that no one has seen before that ends up being a hit, like Seinfeld.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:45AM Haldurson said

It's an MMO in that it allows numerous people to play roles within a massive world -- I remember playing paper and pencil rpgs where characters were distributed to the players, rather than designed from scratch. This is the same idea.

While customization and personalization is traditional in MMOs, that doesn't mean that it is a requirement. That said, it certainly is desirable, which then begs the question, is it a good idea to allow a thousand people on the same server to all be Spiderman? I personally think not.