Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:02PM aurickle said

@Zantom
It's in http://www.soe.com/securityupdate/pressrelease.vm

Unfortunately, it appears to be part of the previous section which means it's easy to miss.

"SOE will grant customers 30 days of additional time on their subscriptions, in addition to compensating them one day for each day the system is down. It is also in the process of outlining a "make good" plan for its PlayStation®3 MMOs (DC Universe Online and Free Realms). More information will be released this week."

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:38PM Zantom said

@aurickle

Ah thanks! I looked around but missed it.

Well thats good at least. I hope they extend the double XP weekend SWG had going on :(

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:08PM dudes said

Er, think I'll stick with Blizzard and hope they don't get breached anytime soon. And try and use gamecards only if I can help it.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 11:31PM aurickle said

@dudes
FYI, game cards would not have helped in this case for the vast majority of people affected. For most of us, our credit card info was not compromised; what was compromised was all the other info -- much of which you have to give out with a game card as well.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 8:19PM laelgon said

I realize that no security system is perfect, but this seems like a case of not enough security being in place. I'm not trying to bash Sony, but no other network I've been a part of has experienced such a large breach of security, or at least not been as publicized.

While I'm glad to hear that my CC info is safe, there's still a lot of damage a person can do with all of the other personal information. Frankly, I expect Sony will be doing damage control on this intrusion for a very long time.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:01PM Syesta said

@laelgon
Hope you don't bank with Bank of America. My card got replaced a week before the Sony hack went public because they got compromised. It's a vicious cycle.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:06PM Fakeassname said

@laelgon

shit like this happen all the time to banks and government agencies, it's just that they don't have an entertainment network attached to them so no one notices when they sudden'y shut off their servers for a week.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:22PM (Unverified) said

@Fakeassname

The big difference is, if my bank gets hacked my money is insured.

Sony gets hacked, it's not.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 1:26AM Fakeassname said

@(Unverified)

your still safe because #1 it's not your fault if someone opens up an account with your information due to #2 the bank should have been more careful with ensuring the actual identity of the individual they started that line of credit for.

it can take time to sort out but unless the credit card company has got refutable proof that you opened that line of credit and authorized those purchases, your a victim of their fuck up and you WILL be getting your money back + legal fess (if it comes to that).

Posted: May 3rd 2011 1:29AM Fakeassname said

@Fakeassname

(legal fees)

Posted: May 5th 2011 1:28PM watchawatch said

@(Unverified)
actually more so. Bank of America gets hacked - you don't have your address and other information vulnerable. Why? Because that information is accessible through another database. It would require certain privledges and is traceable.
Sony? Nope. Devs could access ANYTHING from their database. Why would developers need access to all the information? They didn't. It was just easier for them to set it up this way. Sony knew it. Saw a gaping hole in the security and did nothing about it. People posted on their forums that they were downloading games for free using a cracked PS3 with dev privileges after the last update. They did nothing. They didn't move fast enough on their lack of security and moved even slower in giving out the information that they were hacked, due to trying to figure out the best PR move to take. They didn't release that SOE was compromised until a week later. This wasn't a separate attack. This was the same attack. Why would it take a company so long to figure all this out? Easy answer. It didn't. They just needed to know the extent to figure out what they have to tell their customers to do the most optimum damage control.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:48PM JoolaPrime said

This makes Trion's [now fixed] security hole seem a lot smaller than ppl made it out to be.

Posted: May 5th 2011 1:32PM watchawatch said

@JoolaPrime
People just like to hate on Trion because it dared challenge 'the one.'
And it's a success - which puts Anet in competition with them for the most awesome game company that has ever existed since the dawn of the computer.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:25PM (Unverified) said

... Just when I had resubbed to Vanguard this happens. Guess it's back to DDO.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:25PM (Unverified) said

Again, SOE does things half way, cutting corners at every turn.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:27PM (Unverified) said

Quick question though, if your information was tampered with, will SOE notify you via email or should you just cancel all cards used in SOE-based transactions?

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:34PM (Unverified) said

Has anyone else thought "recently unemployed former SOE employee"?

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:54PM Zantom said

@(Unverified)

I would be surprised if these hacks didn't have some kind of inside connection.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:46PM werewood said

Well its easy - for now - no Sony accounts for me.
This is too much data about me which is stolen. I pay to be served. And this is a red line crossed. So long. I may return for EQ next in a few years. If they are not dried by then. I suspect I am not alone. The station is now a crack station ;) !!!

Posted: May 2nd 2011 11:49PM Furdinand said

It's like SOE is deathly allergic to money and success