Posted: May 1st 2011 3:32PM BaronJuJu said

I always disliked Kashyyyk in SWG. Paths in linear tubes made the world seem boring and constrained.

Posted: May 1st 2011 4:13PM (Unverified) said

LoTRO - Angmar (especially prior to MoM). Moria is terrible in spots but Angmar is terrible.

WoW - Vashj'ir -. Beautiful but painful to do more than once.

EQ2 - Greater Faydark. Frustrating new player experience. Everything is crammed in some nook and cranny, up and down a tree, bloody tedious to start in.

EVE - Hi-Sec Caldari space. Overcrowded and nearly useless for anything but missionrunning.

Posted: May 1st 2011 4:40PM (Unverified) said

Oh and in Rift, how could I forget Gloamwood. That place has nearly killed the game for me and I really haven't had it in me to log in since.

Posted: May 1st 2011 5:05PM darrenkitlor said

Two of my least favorite zones come from WoW, oddly enough.

Aesthetics: Uldum (WOW). It's like the taking the most basic and generic parts from other zones.

Layout: Orgrimmar (WOW). Horde knows what I'm talking about.

Content: Andoria or Risa (STO). There's little no mission content, pvp functionality, or story purpose but they've had it in-game since launch.

Posted: May 1st 2011 8:40PM (Unverified) said

@darrenkitlor I love how Orgrimmar is now.

Posted: May 1st 2011 5:14PM Miffy said

EQ2 on a whole comes to mind, it's such a mess of a game. Just so many useless and broken zones thanks to new expansions, so they tried to update older zones and just... it's all over the place. Every single Zone in the original game was just a crap generic boring mess.

Now all the new zones are dotted around the map and the population is spread out so thinly, it's so poorly designed.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:54AM Lewa said

Spiral staircase in any game (courtesy of my friend explaining horrible WoW moments). The Shadow Shard, as someone mentioned already, and cave missions in CoX. Those caves made it very hard for Granite tanks.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:59AM Tom in VA said

I don't mind large zones, provided decent travel systems are in place. WoW has done a lot to fix this problem in its revamp of Pre-Cataclysm Azeroth. Other games should take note.

One of the most irritating zones I ever encountered was Angmar in LotRO, where you'd explore/battle your way to a quest hub/stablemaster -- only to discover you couldn't actually use the travel waypoint until you'd gained x amt of rep and/or completed x number of quests, etc. I really hate -- HATE -- that kind of conditional travel mechanic. This was a real turnoff to playing LotRO.

At least in WoW (and other games), once you reach a flight path/travel hub, you then unlock it for future use. Poor travel mechanisms plague a lot of MMOs, imo. Just thinking of "Sector Space" in STO (slow as molasses in January!), for example, squashes any interest I might have in going back to that game.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM