Posted: May 1st 2011 11:02AM n3verendR said

Worst zone design...

I'd have to go with the only zone I actually tried to avoid until it was no longer possible in any game: That been said, the Human Starting area for WoW. Every time I tried to roll a Human I was assaulted by boredom that was not apparent during any other starting zone.

Posted: May 1st 2011 11:05AM Deadalon said

Moonshade Highlands in RIFT is by far the worst map design ever created. Considering its a new game - there is no excuse for it. Quests are lackluster and just stupid (blabla 5 altars in middle of a grassy empty hill with roaming mobs .. WTH ? And then huge number of quests sending you back and forth throught the same mobs... that you need to kill over and over and ... over again.

Just terrible design.

Posted: May 1st 2011 3:38PM Beltyra said

@Deadalon

Not to mention the sun going behind a cloud every 8 seconds and making my screen dim considerably then brighten WAY back up.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:05AM Haldurson said

@Deadalon
Must be different for Guardians, because I have no problem with that zone as a Defiant. For the defiant, there's only a couple of quests like what you describe, and the travel for them is fairly easy. Of course there are repeatable quests, but there's really no reason to do those quests more than once (best to finish the zone and move on). I personally find Droughtlands much more of a pain than Moonshade Highlands, which I actually like.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 1:33PM socialenemy2007 said

@Deadalon ^^This. My friends and I called that area, with the golems who die and spawn 3 shades, the gauntlet. Worst zone ever.

Posted: May 4th 2011 9:27AM Valdamar said

@Deadalon
Moonshade doesn't seem that bad to me from Defiant side (not tried it from Guardian perspective) - and at least it's fairly quick to get through.

Stonefield is a lot more boring and awkward to traverse - it's the most linear zone ever. Scarlet Gorge should have seemed even more linear as it's basically an even deeper long canyon, but Scarlet Gorge managed to be a really interesting/fun zone for Defiants while Stonefield is horribly dull (both in appearance and gameplay value) for the 5 levels it lasts, with the only interesting points being the instanced dungeon there (Deepstrike Mines is my fave dungeon in the game so far) and the un-instanced crypt below the graveyard which is lots of fun (when it's not swamped by players who have cleared it).

Stonefield seems even more dull when you realise the Guardian-equivalent zone, Gloamwood, is actually one of the most atmospheric and interesting zones in the whole game.

Posted: May 1st 2011 11:07AM Carolina said

A zone is poorly designed to me when you need to compete for mobs/quest items too much, and even before going you already know there will be stress.

Traveling difficulty is a nice challenge to me, actually. I like when a game is able to get me lost even with a map, makes the world feel big and challenging, and not just a "quest fest" with easy quest hubs and predictable events. It gets boring when after a couple of quests I already know exactly where everything is in a large zone.

Posted: May 1st 2011 11:30AM Rayko said

Scarlet Gorge in Rift is awful. Difficult to navigate and l keep forgetting where my shotgun and cowboy hat are.

Posted: May 1st 2011 11:49AM HerrohGrant said

@Rayko Absolutely agree! Plus I was insanely frustrated when trying to travel b/c there are mobs everywhere. Too spread out, too hard to navigate, too many guys getting in the way.

Posted: May 1st 2011 11:30AM Wisdomandlore said

My vote is for some of the sprawling city layouts in older games. Freemarch in Rift is a good example, but FFXI and EQ2 both come to mind. It's great for a sense of a lived in, massive city, but terrible for both new and old players. New players will be horribly confused as they try to do simple things like buy spells or leave the city. Older players have to waste tons of time getting to simple functions like the AH or vault.

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:48PM Tizmah said

@Wisdomandlore I dunno, I hate Sanctum in RIFT because of the simplified cities. It looks so make and retarded. Thankfully Guild Wars 2 will be giving us some real looking cities. Cities that actually look like people live in them.

Posted: May 1st 2011 11:35AM Bramen said

Worst zone? I would say FFXIV. Where in FFXIV you ask? Anywhere!

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:09PM cowboyhugbees said

AGAMAUR IN THE LONE LANDS IS HORRIBLE

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:24PM Budukahn said

Any zone in any game that forces you to spend a huge amount of time slowly killing your way through hordes of unnecessary and trivial mobs in order to get to where you're going in my opinion.

In Lotro's case, nearly all of Moria, where you can barely go anywhere without having to fight your way through hundred of monsters whose sole purpose in existing seems to be to waste your time.

Hellfire Peninsula in Warcraft also comes to mind, where it's impossible to walk three feet without tripping over yet another Hell Boar.

Most recently, all of Mythos seems to come to mind, with huge numbers of trashy waste of time monsters just lying around nonsensically in the games open world zones.

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:28PM aniero said

Den of Rancor in FFXI
or The Black Shroud zone in FFXIV

Posted: May 1st 2011 3:41PM Beltyra said

@aniero

Any and all areas that made me run for 30 mins through mobs I had to sneak and invis through!

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:55PM (Unverified) said

I'd go with Moria in LoTRO. Horrible design, mobs ever two feet, they take your mount off you and make you walk everywhere, all the zones in there look the same, and you spend ages walking from one quest giver to another. And then longer still upon discovering the quest giver is actually a level higher than you and you need to backtrack and fight a few dozen more mobs to get to him. Four level 50s now and I still haven't been able to get through Moria.

Posted: May 1st 2011 6:59PM Liltawen said

@(Unverified)
Moria is 'the ultimate dungeon' and all but there is 10 levels of it.It's just exhausting.

Posted: May 1st 2011 1:24PM Sean D said

I like Moria overall, except for Foundations of Stone, which I'll submit as one of the worst zones. It seems out-of-place and out-of-accordance with Tolkien's vision. I will agree, however, that Moria is entirely too populated in the open areas. Aside from the clusters of newly settled dwarven outposts, it should've been eerily quiet. There's altogether too much life in Moria.

Posted: May 1st 2011 3:24PM Utakata said

Currently, the Twilight Highlands of WoW. Boring, compartmentalized and full of Dwarves.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny