Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:42AM (Unverified) said

Aahh f...
There goes my character names.

Well, at least it can't possibly get any worse.
In Warhammer I've had to go through several name changes, leading to an ever decreasing sense of commitment to my characters. They're no longer who I made them out to be.

What's in a name? - A heck of a lot of personality when it comes to MMO characters!

Posted: May 2nd 2011 11:38AM Quarlo said

The game is a fun, energetic MMO that make great use of iconic DC characters. The instances/dungeons make good use of cutscenes and known voice talent to immerse you in the DC Universe.

But the game has some pretty glaring flaws that are driving players away in droves. The UI, the chat fiaso and (for me) the superquick progression to max level really were all the things that eventually spoiled the game for me.

I subbed for an extra month but then let it go.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 2:40PM Daemodand said

Another falls to City of Heroes. Next challenger: Marvel Universe Online. So far, not looking like much of a competitor.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 7:20PM PixelAvenger said

Wow, this is some of the worst reporting I've ever seen. This is not a server merge. Calling these "Super Servers" is not "spin." It's their terminology for an equivalent of WoW's Battlegroups.

There will be one Super Server per platform per region, meaning US PC, US PS3, EU PC, and EU PS3. Servers will remain separate and will not be merged.

Honestly this whole entry should be redacted, it's so egregiously inaccurate.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:10PM TheGreatMachine said

@PixelAvenger I agree but we actually don't know for sure either way. SOE have been purposefully vague. I got the impression it was battle groups personally.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:52PM PixelAvenger said

@TheGreatMachine People say they've been vague, but I don't think that is true. The only thing that is unclear are the exact details of how their battlegroup system will work. There really is no other reading of the announcement.

Everyone is on their own server, but when they queue they get thrown in the pool with people from their super server, hence the name. The word "merge" does not appear anywhere in the announcement. Not for PR reasons, but because it simply isn't happening, as this blog is falsely reporting.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 2:32AM Space Cobra said

@PixelAvenger

Well, that is good to know. I was wondering the weird wording of "Super Servers"; one could say that is PR spin, but I sorta sensed it was something else.

Still, same question about naming. Even on a "Super Battleground Server", how will they handle names when we get teamed up with or go against someone who happens to have the same name?

IMO, it should NOT be a problem, really, because such PvP arenas are fast and there is hardly any RP, but could make some confusing tactical manuvering. And in duos, it's probably less a problem.

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM