Posted: Apr 30th 2011 8:22AM Dril said

Not really, the only things I'm really afraid of (apart from, you know, dying, but MMOs tend to avoid that) are being concious but totally paralysed, or being in a coma for most of my life, and neither of those really manifest in an MMO.

I suppose you could say I don't like having no control over myself, and crappy, stun-based classes in PvP really grind my gears, but I wouldn't say they play on my fears per se.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 8:28AM (Unverified) said

@Dril I assume this has more to do with the fact that stun-locking is an idiotic mechanic, rather than putting your character in a coma.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 8:34AM Dril said

@(Unverified)

Yeah, that's what I meant. It doesn't unhinge me or whatever, I just get really annoyed when I die because there was absolutely no way for me to fight back..

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 8:45AM pcgneurotic said

Not that I can recall. Probably the closest thing so far was the first time WoW did that Orphan's Day thing; my first child had just been born and I got quite over-emotional running around trying to make this little Stormwind boy happy. Heh.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 8:49AM faralorn said

Yes. Heights make me feel uncomfortable and I really didn't like the run back to BRD after a wipe. I did it anyway, gritting my teeth all the way down the chain.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 6:12PM Averice said

@faralorn

You were supposed to jump down to the ledge, not run down the chain each time you wipe.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 1:52AM PaterFrog said

@Averice
Mate. Jumping down would be even worse, wouldn't it?

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:03AM mysecretid said

I don't have any phobias in the true, clinical sense, but as far as things which make me uneasy go, I sometimes find that MMORPGs can help me with them.

How? Well, part of my brain knows I'm absolutely safe, sitting at my desk in my chair, so I can engage these "immersive simulations" of things which unnerve me, and I've found that this sort of "practice" can help build up my resistance to the effects in real life.

I know. It surprised me too.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:05AM Borick said

It's only happened once, back in EverQuest.

There was a zone in the Luclin expansion with an invisible bridge spanning the zone. We had half an hour of comedy trying to get the whole guild across. Several of us were reporting vertigo.

Hasn't ever happened since then.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:05AM Irem said

Deep water. I love huge bodies of water and I'm fascinated by sea life, but I've also read a lot of Lovecraft. >_> That and for some reason the idea of encountering something huge in the water is more terrifying than the thought of encountering it on land. I'm both excited and nervous for GW2's underwater content; at the end of the Manifesto video, when the HUGE fish swims up next to the sylvari underwater, I go "AUGHHH" internally every single time.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:08AM Irem said

To add: This is more "horror movie" fear than a real-life one, where I end up actively courting it. When information on the underwater zones for WoW's Cataclysm expansion were coming out, I was all over that huge kraken thing. "LOOK AT THAT, HOLY CRAP. Oh man, I hope I don't see it in game. But I hope I do. LOOK AT IT."

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:15AM DarkWalker said

I have yet to see a game capable of scaring me for the last 20 years or so.
But I think this is mostly because I instinctively rationalize any part of any fictional work (such as games) that makes me uncomfortable. If I see something that would scare me in real life, I immediately break the suspension of disbelief needed to feel like I'm in my character's shoes, thus (at least in my case) removing any fear or anxiety I could feel based on the game.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 1:36PM firestem4 said

@DarkWalker

Play Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Considered by many to be the scariest game ever made. :)

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:15AM Dumac said

I am really afraid of bees/wasps. They're just scary. It's hilarious when i get "attacked" by one in public, i twitch and jump away like a crazy person on drugs.

But in most cases virtual bees are just fine. Pretty, even. With the exception of the bees in Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. Those were just dreadful, but really added to the experience and why the game is one of my all time favorites.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:25AM beskar said

• Half a heart
Real world fears? Sure, I understand people have them. But when that extends to being scared of a spider, for example, that only exists as pixels on a screen, I think that's pretty bad. People like that need help, because that's too much of a mental problem than can be overlooked.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:45AM mysecretid said

@beskar

Real phobias are like that, though. I know a woman with severe claustrophobia; she can't even watch someone crawl through a tunnel on TV, she has to look away.

Genuine phobias, by definition, are irrational, but I don't know if therapy can actually cure them.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:59AM Irem said

@beskar
It's actually pretty common. Therapy can help someone with a -crippling- phobia, but "getting help" isn't necessary for someone who isn't so negatively impacted by their fear that they're unable to cope. Hell, the reason we -have- stuff like that in games is because they're scary. The thing following my character down the hall in a horror game is just pixels on my screen, too. Terokkarantula in WoW is a spider the size of a hillside, and you bet your ass that gave me the creeps every time its legs came into view and it was clear just how big it was. It was supposed to do that.

Being creeped out is fine. Being scared is fine, too. Being so scared that you have to look away or run by whatever's scaring you onscreen is fine, too, as long as it's not making you miserable. Being so scared that you can't visit certain areas, you're having panic attacks, and you don't want to turn on the game--THAT would be the time to get help coping with it, because at that point it's impacting quality of life.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:47AM xBludx said

Maybe if they added stalkers -- crazy people who obsess and follow you everywhere and you know, what stalkers do.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 10:01AM Irem said

@xBludx
Unfortunately, when those DO show up in MMOs, they're usually not an intended feature. :/

Posted: May 2nd 2011 10:59AM Djinn said

@Irem LOL good one.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM