Posted: Apr 30th 2011 11:46PM ElfLove said

I really don't think some of you kids realize just how serious identity theft can be....and how deeply it can affect someones life, and quality of life.

This is not a minor thing...this is serious kids...it may not affect 'you' because you don't have a credit rating yet, but it will affect perhaps your family or your friends.

77 million people did NOT deserve this ok?

They didn't....

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 11:55PM ElfLove said

Well I guess in retrospect we do live in a world were a victim can be blamed for her own rape...a man sent to jail for defending himself in his own home.

Yep I guess this kinda mentally is...as they say....'par for the course'.

Sad sad world...

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:46AM DiscordSK said

@ElfLove
You are missing the forrest for the trees man.

We're not siding with anyone here BUT the customers.

Both Sony and the hackers are equally at fault here, and trying to shift blame squarely from one to the other will do little but give the company a free pass for, what I would call, criminal ineptitude. I for one would like to see Sony nailed to the wall as an example to other companies that their customers come first, the bottom line comes second.

Sadly, THAT will never happen, because as you said this is the world we live in and someone else will take all the blame.

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:53AM (Unverified) said

@DiscordSK

I can understand the passion...a bit....but still dude...

Calm down please.

I have friends affected by this whole mess and they are mad at Sony as well as the hackers.

It's a shared blame. Though I do wish sometimes that hackers would use that brilliance that they have for good instead of evil. *sigh*

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:54AM (Unverified) said

I mean Elf not you DiscordSK....bloody lack of edit buttons. Arrgh!

Posted: May 1st 2011 5:12AM DiscordSK said

@(Unverified)
I was gonna say, nailed to the wall is a figure of speech.. I didn't mean literly nail the guy to the wall.. hehe.

No harm done ;)

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:02AM Kaoss said

you guys are using completely irrelevant analogy's. Sony is a Bank, you PAY them to protect your money. The Bank then gets hacked (unfortunate but in life these things happen, sometimes nothing you can do about it), then said Bank DENIES that there is a problem, completely lying and looking the other way (This is avoidable and should not EVER EVER HAPPEN) and then eventually admits there was a stuff up.

Sony wasn't this poor little guy sitting in a house that gets broken into by a bunch of robbers (that's you guys). Sony is a big ass corporation that YOU GUYS PAY AND EXPECT/TRUST to protect the information you give them, they fail at that and then respond terribly.

The hackers deserve every bit of blame they get, as do Sony.

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:49AM (Unverified) said

@Kaoss

Damn straight.

My bank gets hacked, the FDIC covers my money. Sony gets hacked, the most I'll get is a "Sorry. Here, have a discount on your next purchase!".

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:49AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Yea hell everyone ought to get millions of SC points and free games for this.

It's the least they could do.

o_O

Posted: May 1st 2011 6:58AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I don't want a damn thing from Sony. As I've already said in other threads, my PSN account is being deleted as soon as the network goes back online and only barebones games ( no DLC or anything else from PSN ) will be played on my PS3 anymore. Game makers are the ones who will be getting my dime, Sony will get nothing.

My point was that all the defenders seem to use the "banks get hacked too herp-a-derp" argument without thinking about the difference between the protections (FDIC) provided banks compared to the protections (none) provided by Sony.

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:43AM Syesta said

Just get PSN back up so I can play Arcana Heart online and put this behind me.

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:01AM Araxes said

I'm really, really glad you chose the wording you did for this headline, Jef. Just wanted to put that out there.

;)

Posted: May 1st 2011 4:42AM pcgneurotic said

So do they actually know whodunnit? Have they identified the hacker or whatever?

Posted: May 1st 2011 7:25AM Ragemaster9999 said

@pcgneurotic

im interested in this as well. Who could pull off such a feat? surely not some basement dwelling script kiddie.

Im gonna guess it was someone far away outside USA jurisdiction..and we wont be able to bring them to justice because they live in RUSSIA/IRAN/CHINA/

Posted: May 1st 2011 11:46AM bobfish said

@Ragemaster9999

I don't think any criminal organisations are stupid enough to do anything on this scale. It is far more likely to be some rogue members of Anonymous who are still angry at Sony going after GeoHotz.

Whether they figure out who it is or not remains to be seen, but my money is definitely on it being an American. Too much of a coincidence for it to not be related to all the previous crap.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 3:11AM pcgneurotic said

Yeah, that's what I was thinking (although I couldn't remember the dude's name) - it's a follow-up to the GeoHotz affair.

Posted: May 1st 2011 4:38PM winterborn said

The idea and effect is to show $oE customers that they are now unsafe as well as greedy bastards. They dont care about you or thier product quality they ONLY care about your money.

I wish the hackers would do the same to all the wallstreet banksters.

Better this reaction than carving NGE in Smedly's forehead with a spoon ?
And yes that was a joke for all you forum Nazi's.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 3:13AM pcgneurotic said

@winterborn

You should clarify the phrasing of your first sentence, lest us happy SOE customers get the wrong impression... ;)

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM