Posted: Apr 30th 2011 1:17PM DarkWalker said

Off-topic, but you might want to drop a note about the latest RadarX announcements:

Basically, seems like either some kind of big server merge, or either cross-server queues, is coming, and the test server in on the works.

(Well, if it's a big merge, it will matter for all leagues/legions too, since it will open the whole player base for recruitment, and enable players to apply for any league/legion.)

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 5:05PM Krystalle Voecks said

@DarkWalker: I saw the posting. That's one of the problems with columns: This was written and set before RadarX's post on the new servers was posted. Still, it's very good news! Not only will we be seeing some type of consolidations, but a test server. Those are both fabulous additions to the game. Still, a good league is something worth hunting for -- it just might require a little less server research in future!

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:51PM DarkWalker said

@Krystalle Voecks
If it's a mass consolidation of servers, it will mean any player can apply for any league; a HUGE improvement. I would be of a mind to join Massively Overpowered myself :)
If that's the case, I'm curious to see the size of the largest leagues after the consolidation. I expect them to become freaking huge :)

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 1:47PM (Unverified) said

Yes same problem for me. I had a great time till 30 then just found it too much of a grind. The sad thing is that I would love to see more of the raids, end game content but I simply do not have the time to wait around, be active in League affairs, etc. Unsubscribed a month or so ago.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 2:34PM Budokan said

"or any of a number of other cool DC Universe-based games are readily available."
Ummmm..... such as?

Arkham Asylum was fantastic, but it's the only DC based game in recent history (that I can think of).

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 4:17PM Krystalle Voecks said

@Budokan There are a number of titles based on DC comics. While they're not all gritty comic-style, or even story-driven, there are options.

Personally, I really liked LEGO Batman. ;)

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 8:35PM jslim419 said

"It's ultimately all about getting a chance to play the game with other people. If you're only interested in a single-player game, Batman: Arkham Asylum or any of a number of other cool DC Universe-based games are readily available. Better yet, they don't require a subscription fee."

this sounds too much like you are telling people "get out of my game if you do not want to play with me, or play the way i want you to play". the rest of the article was great. just that bit at the beginning sounded like you were patronizing people that are not super-extroverted while leveling.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 9:18PM Furdinand said

@jslim419 guess it depends. In a vacuum your playstyle doesn't really affect me. However, when it comes to what developers are prioritizing for updates, which can only include a limited amount of content, it matters whether the push is to do more solo content rather than more group content.

Posted: May 1st 2011 1:41AM JuliusSeizure said

@jslim419

I think Krystalle was just offering friendly advice. Not everyone has ulterior motives.

Posted: May 1st 2011 4:18AM jslim419 said

@Furdinand

or they can push both. the problem is that players on both sides (solo, and group/raiding players) whine and complain when the content that is being pushed is not 100% of their playstyle choice.

raiders will complain when 5% of a patch isn't about raiding, and solo players will complain when raiders get shiney goodies in their dungeons. it's patronizing for a group oriented player to tell solo players to go play a single player offline game, and it's just as patronizing for solo players to tell a grouper/raider to go play a harder game if they want everything to be group/raid content.

Posted: May 1st 2011 4:23AM jslim419 said

@JuliusSeizure

and i pointed that out. it's the part before the friendly advice where he basically told everyone that doesn't like to group 24/7 to go play a single player game that made me wince.

unless he is the executive producer of DCUO he has no place telling other people how to enjoy the game. i could go on a civilized rant to give my opinion why he, and others would make such a comment. but it's late, i just got off work, and there is not enough advil in the world to make my fingers want to try and type it out.

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:04PM JuliusSeizure said

@jslim419

You still don't get it. She wasn't saying "don't play this like a single player game, that makes you a bad." She was saying "sure, this is a fun game even solo, but there's better games out there for that sort of experience."

There's a world of difference in there.

Posted: May 1st 2011 1:05PM Krystalle Voecks said

@jslim419

I'm sorry if you felt I was being patronizing. That wasn't how it was intended at all. I'm merely basing the statement I made on my experience with MMOs, single-player titles, and as a hardcore raider and soloist within MMOs.

Really, it comes down to this: When you purchase a single-player only game, you pay for the box copy. In return, all of the content for the game is open to you without any restriction. There might be eventual DLC, depending on the title, but it's all content you can experience solo.

For subscription-based MMOs like DC Universe Online, there's the initial cost of the box and then an additional monthly payment, as we all know. The problem for soloists in MMOs is that you're effectively paying a great deal more versus a single-player title simply to be denied a lot of the game's content.

Now, that's not saying you can't have fun doing the solo content in DCUO, nor that you aren't welcome to do so. That's *your* gaming dollar, and I'm not pretentious enough to tell you that you're wrong to spend it wherever you feel you'll enjoy it most. For me, I expect to be able to see all the content in a game I purchase. Since I like grouping, MMOs are a good value for me. If I hated grouping, I wouldn't purchase MMOs because I know I'd be blocked from seeing all the Arenas, Legends, and raid content. It wouldn't be a good value for my gaming dollar.

So, please don't take it as my saying that you're not welcome to play whatever you'd like to, however you'd like. That's a choice only you and your wallet can make. I wrote that because I think there are some better (and more cost-effective) choices out there for solo-only players versus having to be excluded from large chunks of the overall storyline while paying a subscription to continue being able to access the solo content.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 6:24AM jslim419 said

@JuliusSeizure

what i got from it was she was saying people that prefer not to play in groups should play single player games. her statement is the same statement that many anti-solo MMO players use when trying to justify their arguments that solo players do not deserve to play MMO's. which is why i responded the way i did.

maybe she wasn't bashing solo players, but she didn't state that she wasn't either. so it is open to Interpretation.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 6:37AM jslim419 said

@jslim419

and since massively did not load her rebuttal before i posted my last reply i see that she has stated that she was not bashing solo players. so my bad :D

as a reply to her rebuttal tho. i think you would be surprised to know how many super casual solo orientated players are happy with playing their chosen MMO's with the knowledge that they will never see raid content without investing a lot more of their time, and scheduling their gaming life around other people's schedules.

as i'm sure you know if you buy and MMO you are not required to pay anything extra for your first 30 days of game time. of which in many MMO's a casual player would be hard pressed to experience all of the solo friendly content there in. which far outstretches most single player games life span's (not including multiplayer). so the value is very much there, and it is still a player's choice whether or not they wish to pay for a few more months to see everything they can.

just because they will more than likely not see the most hardcore of the endgame content with a casual solo mindset does not mean that buying the game will be a waste for them.. it might be for you, but since we are all beautiful unique snowflakes not everyone has the same views or values systems. nor should we.

Posted: May 1st 2011 2:46AM JasonX22 said

Ive been playing and its extremely hard to find a league! I play on the Brave and the Bold and I ask in shout can I join in on raids or can I join a league and I get no response at all! :(

Posted: May 1st 2011 4:09AM Dirame said

@JasonX22

Don't go around shouting, just ask specific people that are in already in a league.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 6:44PM JasonX22 said

Ty for the advice! will try it.

Posted: May 1st 2011 1:33PM Yukon Sam said

I've been playing DCUO solo since beta. The majority of content is accessible as a single player. Most of the rest can be completed by queuing for pickup groups (and Legends/Arena, if you give a flying fadoodle about PvP).

There's only three or four missions that require an equipped and coordinated raid group.

Soloists play MMOs for a variety of reasons. I like regular content updates and the OPTION (not the necessity) to team with other people. I also am not adverse to hitting a Legends arena now and then. And even if I'm just doing the solo content, it's nice to chat with other people.

But the bottom line is that the DCUO team has the data mining to show how many people are playing which missions, and they'll design to that demand no matter how many partisans speak eloquently in favor of group or solo play.

Soloists Unite! Ummm.... metaphorically, of course.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM