Posted: Apr 30th 2011 2:21AM Cavadus said

• 1 heart
ROFL, Fallen Earth's crafting system is neither robust nor complex. You gather materials from kills or nodes, meet the requirements of the recipe, and push a button.

Tada!

Crafting like every other horribly lame crafting system every other loot based themepark MMO in the world uses.

But hey, at least you can queue it and do other stuff!

/rollseyes

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 3:09AM Dril said

@Cavadus

"loot based themepark MMO in the world uses."

This adequately and totally describes Fallen Earth.

In other news: you're an idiot. I'd suggest asking your local medical professional for a recommendation into a specialist hospital to see if you're actually a danger to the rest of humanity. You can at least type (not very succinctly or correctly, mind) so you might just be above double-digits when it comes to IQ.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 4:42AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Dril
so you want to tell us (in a way quite not adequate to a site like massively - head over to mmorpg.com for your childish rants) that FE's crafting system is exciting and fun? meh, at a second glance, i got no idea what you wanna tell us ... anyway, Cavadus is right :)

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 7:36AM Cavadus said

Fallen Earth *is* a themepark, sorry. Or at best a "faux sandbox".

I played it for six months.

The real "idiots" are people who confuse large game worlds with sandboxes. FE has a large game world, I'll give it that, but it's a very boring one populated with the same tired and generic quests every other MMO uses.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 1:50PM Dril said

@(Unverified)

Hey, if you can't read or interpret written words that's your problem. not mine. Just don't try and make it somehow my fault, mmmkay?

@Cavadus:

Oh sorry, I just thought having a fair bit player-driven, free-choice gameplay was fairly sandboxy. My bad, I guess only Minecraft will fulfil your requirements.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 11:39AM Yukon Sam said

Players want to be able to make things that are unique, customizable, and allow them to express their creativity and ingenuity.

Fallen Earth falls short of the mark. But by the same token, so does every other MMO on the market (to various degrees).

Within the admittedly tired paradigm of "gather ingredients, push button", Fallen Earth IS a robust example. You can craft almost any piece of gear that you can use, from a steak knife to a muscle car. You can level up solely through crafting, if you wish. And the ability to queue up items to complete while you're offline gives the creation of large and complex gear a satisfying element of delayed gratification missing from the overly casual crop of current MMO offerings.

But if you're a game designer that wants a REAL crafting system, look at what Second Life is doing with mesh imports, and also at the Spore creature, building and vehicle editors. The former requires technical expertise in 3D modeling, the latter is less versitile but fast and fun, but the aim of both is to enable players to create items that are visually different than the creations of any other player in the game.

A system like that on top of a system that allows you to balance and tweak stats, equals crafters that are helping you build the virtual environment, rather than just cluttering the databases with worthless grindcraft.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 5:15PM Greymantle said

The biggest issues I had with FE crafting was one chracter could do everything and be self sufficient. This is what killed the game for me and I quit after two months. I admit I have not played in over a year so I have no idea if this has changed.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM