Posted: Apr 29th 2011 3:14PM NeoWolfen said

Previously their tendency has been to reward players with some nice incentive for anniversaries, this time round they threw a humungous grind at us to celebrate it, which was imo FAr from being fun as LOTRO is already massively grind heavy in places already and they REALLy need to start breaking that mindset not keep building on it.

As a result I had ZERO interest in this anniversary, which is a shame as it should have been a celebration. But they had just sucked the fun out of it TOO much.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 3:22PM cowboyhugbees said

Lesson #2 is huge.

I didn't mind grinding for spring leaves during the Spring Festival at the hedge maze, because a) it was beautifully detailed and 2) it felt like a real change of pace to my normal gameplay.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 3:24PM cowboyhugbees said

@cowboyhugbees a) 2) iii)

/facepalm

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:19PM madcartoonist said

@cowboyhugbees

I also haven't minded the grind before because we always had lots of options. the spring festival had the hedge maze, horse race, shrew stomping, and a bunch of fetch quests. I had no problem getting all the items I wanted.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:07PM Sean D said

I started working toward the mount reward near the beginning of the anniversary, but decided to let it go when it became apparent through the multitude of posts on the subject that I wouldn't achieve it for lack of necessary time.

I reacted similarly during the winter festival when I realized the coins had been quartered in value.

I don't know what Turbine is trying to do here. The festivals worked well before, in my opinion. I wonder if it's their goal to make rewards only barely achievable through in-game processes in order to sell them to players later via the store.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:11PM DancingTaco said

The token/barter system has had some other failings besides the festival.. There is nice long thread (20+ pages) on The OD barter system.. However in comparison this anniversary thread had many many more pages.. I think fluff is more to the average Lotro player than raiding, but only judging by a thread count is not very scientific...

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:12PM aurickle said

I think the beer and food races from previous festivals are a perfect example of Turbine having a great base idea which they then proceeded to flub.

The random outcomes for these races were awesome. Standing around for five minutes with your thumb up your behind while waiting to find out what the result was... was decidedly not awesome.

But imagine if you had ways that you could influence the results. For example, imagine if you could buy (or win) an item that you could use to spike the food or drink. The only catch is that you don't know which racer is going to grab the particular item you spiked, so you may accidentally hurt the one you're rooting for. Or a prod to poke them when they start wimping out. Or a bag of marbles to "accidentally" drop ahead of the leader if that happens to be one you don't want.

Take those sorts of things and add in the effects of multiple people with bets on the same race. The result could be mayhem, and a lot of fun. You would have a chance of helping your favorite win, something interesting to do during the race to keep you interested, and even a bit of strategy to outwit your fellow players. The race would be over before you know it, you'd have had fun whether you won or lost, and you'd be more interested in being there for the next race.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:25PM Chris Atlas said

It was disappointing when compared to the well crafted and enjoyable Winter and Spring festivals. I only started playing in 2010 so hadn’t seen the beer fight before. It could have been fun if it was one of a number of methods of getting tokens (and available in more than one city), but instead it forced me to keep alts stationed at Thorins Hall and it felt like a massive grind. What made it worse was that when Turbine realized there was a problem, they solved it by giving away large stacks of tokens in a random lottery. One lucky player could get 10 tokens by winning one lottery, 10 tokens that somebody else had to spend an evening of grind to get.

I’m assuming that this was a temporary aberration however, as I can’t say enough about how much I enjoyed the Spring and Winter festivals. They were both beautifully designed and executed. They also struck just the right balance between making you work for the rewards and it being a grind. I for one am really looking forward to the Summer festival.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:29PM Plastic said

I agree that the more disconcerting aspect of the anniversary festival was Turbine's refusal to admit their mistake and take simple steps to improve the situation. The only good news about this event, sadly, is that the rewards weren't exactly must-haves, so it was easy to just bow out of the festivities.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 5:07PM taconight said

I havent done a single thing for the Anniversary Festival...aside from entering the lotteries on my.lotro.com. LOL. One of my characters has enough coins to get the mount, but I think the mount looks horrible. So I guess its one or two of the housing items for me :P

Unless I forget. lol.

I agree with the article though. If the Festivals are fun, I dont mind the grind. I loved the Winterhome stuff. Frostbluff Theater was awesome.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 5:55PM Graill440 said

I wont say i told you so, thats spite, i will say this, another fine event brought to you by Orion and his team.

It will be a tossup whether Orions huge ego gets in the way of the next festival, so it can say, "I make the rules, you subs follow them, like it or not."

*Chuckle*

So much good in this title, but even more bad, just ruins it.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 6:11PM cowboyhugbees said

Another issue - having round-the-clock festivals takes away from their novelty... I don't want christmas every other week, you know?

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 8:43PM jastani said

I liked the double xp thing for the folks who were leveling up. This simple act encouraged new players and the folks who had alts. In fact I think Turbine should ditch these festivals and instead do limited time "doubling up" events like the xp, drops, etc to show their appreciation. Anything that kills the grindfest would be a real celebration.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 9:15PM WeirdJedi said

Completionist and obsessive-compulsive people will want to get every festive holiday for decorating measure because it is both rare and unique. The problem comes in when collecting even one item requires roughly 5 hours of game play in the same event. There was no water to fish, no additional quest to work on in between battles, no participation reward as mentioned above, or even alternate means of obtaining tokens.

I think they did this as an experiment to get people participating in the event all the time, as if they thought someone would come down and have no one to battle with. Instead, it distracted many players from coming down to the event in the first place.

Posted: May 1st 2011 1:46AM Leitchy said

I believe the problem wasn't the grind-fest or the amount of reward tokens. I believe the problem was the lack of variety of ways to obtain the tokens that was the problem. Those who didn't like the beer brawl had no other way of earning the tokens; THAT is the failure, I believe.

BTW, I had a ball in the beer brawl. I failed a few times, but it was a blast to knock other players around the arena (although not out, if I could help it), and to be knocked around! I failed a few times, but mostly I had a great time, especially when my kinnies all turned up and we could all chat at the same time via TS. :)

Posted: May 3rd 2011 3:27AM Wayshuba said

Good advise and I think another lesson, especially for Turbine, can be added here: Lesson No. 7: Admit and learn from your miscues.

A good portion of the outrage over the Grindaversary was because it came on the heels of another over-the-top (even for MMO standards) grind in the newest instance and raid cluster. At top end, these instances clustered under the In Their Absence chain have a grind so bad that is attached that players are giving up on playing the content altogther. When a grind causes that effect, it should be even more alarming but, as you stated in their article, Turbine's stance lately has appeared to many players (especially long term ones such as myself) as coming off extremely aloof and arrogant - like players are privelaged to play their game.

As an example of NOT learning from these lessons, Update 3 is just around the corner and, while they upped the token drop in these raid clusters, it still has players baffled - like they just don't get it.

So, your Lesson 1 is the most important one and we can only hope that they wake up soon because end game is becoming a dead zone with the way the grind has been designed.

Posted: May 4th 2011 5:17AM Deztal said

Being a F2P premium player and only having played the game for 6 months, I have to admit I enjoyed the Spring Festival for its range of activites and new mounts. I didn't participate much in the Anniversary Festival (ie the brawl, but did the horse race).

I was able to purchase some of the house furnishings (wall maps). This was achieved by putting in Lottery entries every day they were available, which avoided the grind for lots of tokens. I did do the horse race 3 times which was enough if i so choose to get the Anniversay Mount (which I too admit looked silly and chose to avoid it).

The random token gift drops were also cool little bonuses.