Posted: Apr 29th 2011 11:51AM Tom in VA said

Hmmm....

They really don't cough up much information about this game in development, do they? They are calling it an MMORPG (rather than an MMOFPS), which gives me some hope, however.

I have to say I'm curious about this game. :)

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:31PM Germaximus said

@Tom in VA Makes sense they wouldnt just go throwing out screenshots and videos for a beta. Its obviously not intended to be a cash shop beta.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:13PM Plastic said

The game, as provided for testing purposes, is in pre-pre-alpha form; basically only allowing you to run around nekid in a medium-sized map. But, it looks gorgeous, and I'm definitely sold on that Hero engine. Can't wait to see what this game shapes up to be.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:30PM Germaximus said

lol I found out about this on mmorpg.com and people were replying saying it could be a scam.
It could be, glad its not. I read about the company and everything looked cool.

I like what theyve written about the game so i had signed up.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:51PM Dumac said

Never heard of the studio, zero info on the game apart from sci fi setting... This is actually great. It could be anything! And it could come soon. Isn't that exciting?

The Hero engine is .. Well, ive been dabbling a bit in Faxion Online that also uses it. Client performance is pretty terrible. It maxes a single cpu core and hardly touches the other. I don't know how much of that is the fault of the engine or the developers. Either way, as long as its not another Unreal engine 3 game...

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 1:03PM Saker said

@Dumac
Yes Faxion deeply unimpressive, but on the other hand BioWare using it so... I was very interested in Hero's Journey for a long time, seems strange that they dropped (apparently) that, but now are working on something new. Wouldn't it have made sense to follow through on what you'd been developing for X-number of years rather then start from scratch something else? Human psychology is endlessly fascinating. It's the true original motivating force behind -everything- even the issues people fool themselves into believing are purely scientific, rational endeavors.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 1:40PM Plastic said

@Dumac

The issue with maxing only a single core was present in this MMO as well, so I'm going to assume it's an issue with the engine. I can't imagine it not being rectified eventually though.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 2:50PM paterah said

@Dumac Nothing wrong with Unreal Engine 3 don't blame the engine for the incompetence of specific companies.

Posted: May 3rd 2011 3:13AM Space Cobra said

@Saker

I remember Simutronics and Hero's Journey.

Really, they've been working on that game for "forever"; I think since Diablo 1 and while I've seen some updated graphics, there can only be so much of that while you are still working on a game that never comes out. Basically, I wrote off Hero's Journey because it's like....10+ years (probably closer to 15-18) since I first heard about it. So, you are on a constant treadmill to not only update graphics and the game, but your engine.

I think, out of some deperation, Simutronics finally decided to license the engine out and that has been their saving grace. I think they turned more of their limited resources, even back then, to creating such a graphic engine rather than a game.

It's basically a case, IMO, of they having moved on without realizing it. I am pretty sure they may still think about releasing Hero's Journey at some time in the future, but they have to complete it and I think their focus is elsewhere. So, for the foreseeable future, I think it won't get released. This is more a project that slowly/silently evaporated while they focused on just the game tool.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:00PM Lateris said

Since they are a local studio for me and I would love to see more Sci Fi games- I am really interested!

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 5:46PM (Unverified) said

Just signed up, looks very interesting

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 6:38PM Gaugamela said

Does this MMO has anything to do with the movie Pitch Black, the first movie of the Chronicles of Riddick?

That was the only decent movie of Vin Diesel.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 2:26AM Cavadus said

Vin Deisel was in Saving Private Ryan. Babylon A.D. wasn't half bad either.

But no, this game has nothing to do with the Riddick franchise.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 2:57PM Bramen said

I signed up. Hopefully I get accepted =D

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM