Posted: May 1st 2011 12:25PM Jef Reahard said

@Larry Everett

For me it's less about defining massively and more about gameplay that doesn't revolve around combat. Sure we always need to have the combat and the action, but these newer "MMOs" are leaving out crafting, economics, social professions, housing, and all the other features that separate MMOs from mere online games. If they want to make a Marvel action brawler, great, but don't call it an MMO because it isn't without all of those things.

From what we've been told so far, what sets this "MMO" apart is its Marvel story. To be frank, if I wanted a pre-made Marvel story, I'd read a comic book. MMOs, to me, are for making your own stories. Kinda hard to do that if you can't even make your own character, lol.

I'm sure some will like it and I'm happy for them, but I do get really tired of action games masquerading as MMOs.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 7:47PM Darkkhorse said

this game has been rumored for years... and this is what they came up with?
Why would I want to play as existing characters... The whole point of an MMO is to play your own creation.
I guess this is another MMO that is dead on arrival that only kids will play.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 8:11PM stoyer said

So it's basically Marvel Ultimate Alliance Online. Instead of classes we choose characters and develop skills and stats.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 9:01PM tmarg said

I agree that in most MMOs, having a certain amount of "ownership" of your character is pretty important. It's understandable that Marvel wouldn't want to do things the normal way though, as they tend to be more careful with their continuity than other comic companies, and having thousands of new heroes suddenly show up out of nowhere wouldn't really fit.

I'm not sure how they plan on implementing things, but just because a game isn't what you were expecting doesn't mean that it won't be any good. Even if it turns out to not really be a true MMO, it could still be fun.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 9:53PM AnathemaOne said

Though I've been looking forward to this game for a while now, this sounds like the worst design for an MMO I've ever heard.

F2P is just bad, in my opinion. You really do get what you pay for, and no matter how much they claim that you won't be nickel and dimed, they have to make money, which means... we'll be nickel and dimed.

The inability to create your own characters will really be the downfall of this game. Just an inexcusable idea for an MMO. Yes, I love the Marvel Universe, and I believe they have the best super characters ever created. But, in an MMO, I don't want to play one. I want to create my own super, develop my own concept, and forge my own way.

Unfortunately, I believe I can see the direction they are going to attempt to take with this game. They don't believe they can compete with others in the market in creating a true MMORPG (sounds like too much work, huh?), so in the name of innovation, they are going to create a half-baked psuedo-MMO. Like many other F2P titles, and given the decision to use only iconics, I'm going to bet that this will essentially be a completely instance based lobby game (a la Vindictus). They no doubt think they've got some neat ideas for their game (and some might actually be cool) to set it apart, but it won't be an MMORPG.

Just as every other supers MMO, they will fail to capture the essence of the superhero genre. They will fail to create a living, breathing world in which our characters will act with heroism or villainy.

Hey, it appears that every major IP believes it needs to have an MMO these days, even if it's a horrible one.

I'm really disappointed. I probably would have enjoyed it even if it had just been a standard MMO with a Marvel skin on it. As it stands, I can't think of a worse concept for an MMO. I'll still follow it, but I really, REALLY hope they reconsider their entire design. Yeah, probably not going to happen.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 6:54PM Zellis said

@Tempes Magus AnathemaOne said IMO... lay off, We get it... you like the F2P Model. Quit commenting on anyone who says it sucks, These are our opinions... Nothing more, just like its your Opinion that F2P is a gift from god and that we would never be nickle and dimed by your god given awesome no name game company's. 15 bucks a month to assure a smooth and awesome game is one "Ransom" I can handle.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 1:17AM BubleFett said

This doesn't seem like an MMO. just an online game.
Deciding to leave out customization out of the game is a big let down.
What makes CO CoX and DCUO is the fact that players can
make their own super hero.

I hope they reconsider this bad decision.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 1:56AM Cirocco said

I'll definitely play this. It''s
F2P, and I get to take on the role of iconic Marvel characters, much like those console Marvel games. The dev staff is taking a path less traveled, approaching the online Marvel franchise with a different paradigm than the other spandex online ventures. It can't hurt me to take the plunge and see what the fuss is all about, when this game launches. Who knows...I may actually have a blast, playing one of the X-men during a team story-mission.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 6:08PM Accualt said

I'm with the near unanimous group of MMO players who would rather play their own characters. I'm not a DC fan but I really did enjoy my time in DCU because I could make my own character and fight next to the characters I recognized. I think that has a much higher psychological effect on me than playing as Batman in Arkham Asylum. Like others have said when you make a new character it feels like you are living out a fantasy. When you play a pre-existing character it just seems like you are playing a game.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 2:54PM Daemodand said

F2P=GOOD!
Made for PC and not console=GOOD!
Super Hero Squad for adults=BAD!

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 5:09PM (Unverified) said

I have to laugh at all the people claiming playing an iconic character is bad. After all, how many people, upon logging into DCUO, tried to make a Batman as their first character? Be serious. There's very little "originality" in DCUO as most people are creating knock-offs of existing characters, sometimes I've even seen Marvel characters in DCUO. I haven't played COH or CO so I can't comment on those, but really? That's your sticking point?

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 5:44PM Protoavis said

@(Unverified)

There's still a difference in creating a knock off and actually playing the iconic though. Big part of that being choice, choose to play a knock off or something else vs settling to play an iconic because there really isn't a lot of choice.

(not me, my first toon on beta was a kryptonite infused villian to kill supes, black and green, demonic armor mostly)

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 6:49PM Haldurson said

I have some very basic questions about the game that this article doesn't address --
Is this supposed to be more of an action game like DCUO, or a more traditional MMO like CoH and CO? What kind of platform is it being designed for -- PC or Console?

In any case, I'm also disappointed that you will be limited to playing the iconic characters. I think that most people who currently play Superhero MMOs want to be unique. If MMO players are not the target demographic, which is what it seems to me then I'm not sure this game will succeed. But I'm willing to wait and see. I prefer Marvel to DC overall, but I believe they may be heading in the wrong direction with this game.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 7:29PM Brianna Royce said

@Haldurson -- The game is just way too far away from launch, so the panelists wouldn't discuss major game systems, and that includes combat style. As for platform: "It'll definitely be a PC game; other platforms are yet to be announced."

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 10:03PM shockologist said

• 1 heart
The sad part to me is that Marvel missed the best storyline for this by about 4 years

Civil War would have made the perfect 2 faction story line.

Whatever this game is it looks like a ps2 game done mmo style in the making.

Posted: May 1st 2011 12:06AM (Unverified) said

f2p can be good if done correctly

playing cookie cutter characters thats iffy
if they have a HUGE list of them might not be so bad
because I would love to play Cable

Posted: May 1st 2011 9:21PM Scarecrowe said

I really don't want to play as an existing character. Wow, I didn't really expect DCUO to do something better than Marvel. And DCUO sucked. Oh well, I'll wait for a few more years for a decent superhero MMO.

Posted: May 1st 2011 10:16PM (Unverified) said

It does sound like it will be just a 'superhero-squad online' for older people..

I was soo looking forward to a Marvel MMO.. but have lost a lot of interest from with with the 'pre-made' charaters..

Posted: May 2nd 2011 9:51AM MtthwRddl said

I'm skeptic about not being to make your own character but I think in this case, the players may be wrong.

The players like to make their own superhero. Some of them just copy the idea of an existing hero or make it look like them. Others come up with an original character and give him all the best powers, which isn't realistic.

At least in a system with pre-made characters, the characters are equally balanced. There's no way to worry about a certain character winning the majority of the fights because of a certain skill combination.

I think players are against this because this is radically different than how all the other superhero mmos have been. But I'm sure when the first superhero mmo was previewed, there were plenty of fantasy mmo players that were against it for the same reasons.

I'm going to try it, just like I tried Marvel's Super Squad mmo. I think it could be a lot of fun if done right.

Right now, it's impossible for anyone to say if it will turn out good or not. There simply isn't any media to show that the game has even left the discussion table yet.

Posted: May 2nd 2011 4:53PM Space Cobra said

Related topic: I just saw a WHOLE bunch of PR spin in this article. Lots of "Marvel stroking", IMO. "Stan Lee created special effects?" What of the pulps and novels in one's mind's eye? And heck, it was Kirby that drew the damn things while Stan may've been on training wheels (before Marvel).!

Really, Bendis has the cushy job here: No real work, just convert stories to online play for Iconics and viola! Done. Time to golf or whatever Bendis does!

Many comments about Super Hero Squad and Marvel Ultimate Alliance and I think they are mostly all on the money (It's a Lobby Game). It may be fun, but not sure if it will last long. I see much Disney-fication of the MMO division and the F2P move. Again, nothing wrong with F2P, but I don't see many sub-based models from Disney.

Probably a game best played in small amounts...much like Ultimate Alliance.