Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:02PM (Unverified) said

This really just sounds like a online version of "Marvel Ultimate Aliiance".

Anyone that's played COH or CO knows the character customization and freedom of power choice is a major appeal to those games. Half the gamers there are aspiring comic book artists and other creative types, with tons of alts and costumes.

I don't think this game will steal any of the current audience of super hero games. It sounds much more consol based, small vision, short term profits.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:35PM Germaximus said

lol Im in.

You guys are crazy. People go out of their way to make their characters look like comic book characters in CO, CoH and DCUO but when a game says theyre just gonna let you play your favorite characters theyre like "ew nah."
Funny.

All this sounds amazing. Free to play is the only thing that scares me but we'll see.
Gaziiiion seems to be working at gettin a name for themselves.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:40PM Utakata said

Free to Play as in Advance by Wallet, and not in the game actually being truely free. And super heroes don't pay their way to be super, they earn it.

That plus "slip into the spandex of iconic Marvel characters" equals not interested. I would want to play my own.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 12:48PM JuliusSeizure said

@Utakata

"The game will be free-to-play, designed F2P from the ground up. David Brevik noted that he hates being "nickel-and-dimed" by the sorts of F2P MMOs that are really just five-minute demos to get you to pony up for the rest of the game. The team isn't ready to talk about the kinds of microtransaction content that will fund the game, but we were assured that it will nevertheless by playably F2P."

Did you even read?

And seriously, what's the big deal with the create your own character thing? YOU HAVE PLENTY OF OPTIONS FOR GAMES THAT LET YOU DO THAT. This offers a different experience, that of filling the actual shoes of actual Marvel superheroes. Not just to use their powers to fight bad guys, but to make choices as those characters and see how that plays out.

But no! It's different, so it must be bad or someone would have done it already!!!!!!!!1111one

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 1:05PM Utakata said

@JuliusSeizure

The game should sell by getting the person to read beyond the first few sentences in it's introductions. If it can't get me to go beyond that...then I am not interested.

Especially when the first lines are red flags for me. That is, a dubious business model I don't trust. And a feature, not matter what apologist arguement is thrown at me about it, is a no sell to me. As always though, I'll keep an open mind when further and/or changed details are released. But for now, meh.

Posted: May 26th 2011 3:20AM Metatron said

@Utakata Wow, that analogy was truly awful. Super Heroes don't pay to advance? Really? So they pay a monthly fee for their powers then?

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 1:36PM Sente said

That were a lot of strong opinions of a game where they haven't yet made up their mind on a number of details.

And a lot of it seems to be extrapolating from a little bit of information into something bigger with a lot of assumptions on the way.

Relax people; start getting upset or cheer for the game when there are a lot more solid information avilable instead - i.e. close to release.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 1:36PM Elikal said

Sigh, as much as I love Captain America, Spiderman or Wolverine... I'd not want to play them. I mean... I am me. I want to make my own hero rather than be with 120 WOlverines and 200 Captain Americas. :/

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 2:15PM druzeltheimp said

Wow, this sounds awfull. It sounds like an online action game which is cool for those who are interested in that kind of thing, but I was hoping for a real mmorpg. FTP? You can't make your own charecters? No thanks.

I was really looking forward to this one. :( Oh well, there are plenty of other promising MMO's in development.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 2:52PM Degu said

What a revoltin' development!

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 3:50PM (Unverified) said

This is horrible news, I have been waiting for this MMO for years now and they fuck it up with F2P and making us play Marvel characters....well here is to waiting another 10 years for them to actually do one right....*sigh* in the words of Tony Stark...I need a drink

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 3:53PM NeoWolfen said

I'm curious to know two things.

1) how the plan on rationalising a 1000 iron man all in the same game etc... from a game standpoint. Especially when Individuality in an MMO is a huge thing.

also

2) How they plan to handle advancement/progression when dealing with existing heroes most of whom have been fairly static in what they can do for decades.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:17PM Brianna Royce said

@NeoWolfen Me too! I wish they were willing to talk about those details, but I can understand that things are changing all the time and they don't want to lock themselves into anything this early.

*IF* they take a page from SHSO's book -- and this is pure speculation here -- then perhaps we'd be differentiated by costume-swapping and power-selection, i.e., I'm wearing Storm's purple outfit rather than her black leotard, and I'm using lightning spell A rather than stormcloud spell B.

It *could* work out in the end. I've certainly seen no end of grumping about how players don't really appreciate being the lapdogs of Aragorn and Elrond in LotRO. And since none of the other AAA superhero games do it quite like this, maybe MUO will find its own niche.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 5:33PM NeoWolfen said

@Brianna Royce

Costumes is certainly a plausible option for distinguishing but when your dealing with the number of players you deal with in an MMO, no individual hero/villain is going to have enough costume variations to make individuality "that" noticeable.

With them saying it will be a triple A MMO offering all that any triple A mmo would progression and advancement are going to have to take some form and with abilities for known heroes being fairly static thats going to be tough to workaround without say assuming Iron Man is back to day 1 and the players will grow and advance into what he can currently do in its entirety earning back all thier known abilities over time. Or possibly starting with know abilities but the effectiveness and power stunts they can dow ith them being how people progress a la the Marvel alliance type games.

Its a tough one and details are definitely far too light on the ground to form much of any opinion as to how it will turn out. But being a MARVEL fan I shall be watching for more news on it closely.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:19PM Zuljundwumn said

Hum... We can't say yet it is a bad decision, since some people enjoy the idea. But when you have such a big license, and the money to make a huge game... You don't want to make mistakes, since there will be no MUO2 before long...

But going free to play from start and forcing player to play existing characters... It's taking too much risk in my opinion, they are ruining the game's name before it is even released.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:42PM Yukon Sam said

I might check it out... for free. But I'm not going to be investing much into a character I didn't create.

Hrmmmm.... unless I can play Howard the Duck. Then I might reconsider.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 4:55PM rockman0 said

At first I was like, Oh my God! A real Marvel MMO!

Then, after reading the article, I was like, "This is going to suck."

Like everyone else said, I'd rather create my own hero and maybe fight alongside the famous heroes. The best part of an MMO is creating the hero. I don't even look at an MMO if the customization sucks.

I most likely won't be playing if you have to choose a preexisting hero. I'll just stick with CoH/CoV.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 5:57PM Jef Reahard said

Pretty disappointing news, imo. This seems like another example of simplifying (and really stretching the definition of an MMORPG) just for the sake of expanding the audience. Granted, it's early, but ask yourself this:

If this game didn't have the Marvel license, would you play it? Would it even get made?

I can't get excited about titles that purport to be MMOs yet intentionally leave off cool features and functionality that were standard 10 years ago. And here I thought DCUO's claim to MMO status was pretty dubious, lol.

/sadface

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 10:19PM AnathemaOne said

@Jef Reahard

I think you're correct. DCUO is a horrible MMO, but even it is far better than how this concept sounds.

Just because you have the money to make an MMO doesn't mean you should. This announcement illustrates to me that Gazillion knows they can't really make a solid MMORPG. If they know they can't compete, they shouldn't bother making the game.

Some game companies simply do not know what makes a good MMORPG. Gazillion appears to be one.

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 2:06AM Larry Everett said

@Jef Reahard

Pure speculation here, but if I were to guess, I'd say that the game will more like a DoTA or battle-arena game. I don't think it will be much of an MMO, similar to SHSO. However, it is multiplayer; it is online; there will be a bunch of people playing on the same server together; but it depends on how you define massively

(I was hoping for a more traditional MMO, too, but I'm certainly willing to give this a shot.)