Posted: Apr 28th 2011 3:07PM DeadlyAccurate said

I recently decided to try this game out, since it was F2P and I already had a Station account. I ended up buying a lifetime sub, because during Easter week they were offering double station cash, which pretty much made the lifetime sub $17.

I believe MMO developers can learn a lot from trying out all the different offerings on the market. One thing this game does extraordinarily well is reward exploration. There's always something to see, something to find, something to do just around the corner. I find quest-givers everywhere; I'll never find them all. And the game is so bright and cheerful and full of life and stylish.

The mini-games range from meh to lots of fun. The trading card game is a slightly simpler version of Legends of Norrath (and the SWG version), but still strategic and fun. I used some of my excess station cash points to buy another booster pack (you don't want to know how many packs I bought for LoN).

Only real complaint I have is that the game hustles you pretty heavily as a F2P player. For me it was just annoying, but I'm not sure I'd want my child to have that much advertising shoved in her face.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 3:08PM Pingles said

While most certainly aimed at kids this game has more than enough to do to keep an adult busy for quite a while. I subscribed right after Beta and loved it, with several characters at max level.

I quit in frustration when they changed their F2P model dramatically. Originally a free player could have a max level character but only in a few jobs. They changed it so free players could play EVERY job, but only to level 5 meaning no free players in groups or even some zones. Changed the games dynamic pretty drastically.

I also got tired of waiting for the new zones that have said "Coming Soon" on the game map since Beta.

I get the feeling that they are getting enough new players on a regular basis that keeping them is not a priority.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 3:39PM Yarr said

The combat nerf was a major change... for the worse. And the producer has confirmed they have no intention of opening those new areas or continuing the quest story line with Chapter 2. So I have no intention of buying any more station cash. I used to recommend this game, but now advise people to either pick up a lifetime sub during double SC events (and never expect any real new content) or just stay away entirely. My first and last SOE game. Shame, because it is a quality game, but all SOE wants to do is milk the cash shop with a constant turnover of new players, as old ones quickly get fed up and leave.

Very bittersweet birthday for FR, a fun game but with the staff gutted (and even the birthday quest line is now broken, guess they fired most of the devs too) and no future areas or quests, this game is about 1 level above Vanguard as far as having a future.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 3:48PM ultimateq said

@Yarr I agree with you. On almost all points. Not my first SoE game, and hasn't been my last. But I certainly have no intention of playing FR again, nor would I recommend it to anyone new.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 3:42PM Space Cobra said

I need to try it out again, but I try to pop in from time to time. Still have yet to see the PS3 version of things (and have to have a new account there; no transferring).

It's a fun game to play in small stints. I also got a lifetime because it is relatively cheap, even without discounts (something like $49.99 for lifetime; the price of a normal in-store game).

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:41PM (Unverified) said

After the Free Realms Combat "Upgrade" I started looking for a new game that had the same warm fuzzy feeling and started playing the Allods Online closed beta. That was going to be my new home, but we know how that went. As Yarr mentioned...all they care about now is the churn of new players. I guess that business model must be working for them, but I am done spending money on any SOE games.

The Stream Team: Dota 2's 6.82 madness