Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:05AM (Unverified) said

I feel bad for those affected by this intrusion but it hasn't really shaken my faith in MMO companies.Besides,when entering personal information i use fake names and such most of the time anyways.Call me crazy.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 10:01AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I actually do the same. For most FTP/Betas that try or for any website that I won't be making a transaction with, I just use one of a few aliases that I keep handy. Maybe it's not needed, but it has kept me safe so far.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:07AM xBludx said

No. Not before either.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:14AM Dumac said

@xBludx
exactly

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:29AM Arkanaloth said

@xBludx

ditto..

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:13AM Pewpdaddy said

The internet is a risk, plain and simple. Using credit cards on the net opens you to the "possibility" of having your private data compromised. And really if you believe that the IRS or any other entity with a presence on the net is much safer I'm afraid your sadly mistaken.

On the other hand I think the PSN could have handled this much better. Once an intrusion was detected and personal data recognized as compromised. Any and all parties affected should have been notified immediately.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:25AM Irem said

It hasn't really changed anything for me. Companies are made up of humans and nothing made by humans has ever been infallible.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:32AM koehler83 said

It's a stark reminder that we can't leave our security up to third parties in any event.

Trust is mistake #1.

Complacency is mistake #2.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:32AM The Ogre said

Even though I have a real credit card, MMO companies don't get anywhere near it - I use game time cards and VISA gift cards (despite the $3.95 to buy one) for buying stuff from 'em.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 10:25AM KvanCetre said

@The Ogre
I have to ask... Why?

Even if the rare occurance happens that your credit card is compromised, you're not liable for the activity.

You spend 5 minutes on the phone with the bank, sign your name on the paper they send you, all funds are restored. (and with almost every bank, you'll have the money back on the card after the phone call)

The customer doesn't pay for fraud. Either the bank eats it or the merchant does.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 11:59AM Space Cobra said

@KvanCetre

It depends on the bank and it depends on your due-dilegence. Some banks are nice and tell you of weird transactions, but not so much others.

It's all on your shoulders.

Really, even though I can pick up a phone and call, why? I'd just as well keep things separate in easy-to-see segments.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:33AM Rayne26 said

We trust noone

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 11:00AM Valius said

It'd be completely silly not to, what happened to Sony could've happened to any other company it's just Sony were the targets.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:34AM Feefait said

I trust MMO companies as much as any other company online. I re-signed up for WoW a couple years ago for a school anthropology project and within a week my account had been hacked. When i talked to Blizzard CS they said that it happens all the time and wasn't anything to worry about. Either way i cancelled my sub and associated card. It was the nonchalant way they approached it that bothered me more than anything.

Fee

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:53AM Ecto said

@Feefait

And I'm willing to bet you used a weak password that any amateur hacker could have figured out. It's also entirely possible that your computer or another web account of yours was already compromised and they got the info that way.

I'm certainly not saying Blizzard is perfect but people need to stop and ask themselves if they did everything possible to protect their info before slamming companies. It's not Blizzard's fault if your account gets hacked because your password is 1234 and you use it for every single one of your web accounts.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:46AM Bramen said

No trust.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:51AM Ryn said

A top hacking group or individual who really knows what they are doing will almost certainly get through to their target. After that, it's the access they gain that makes the news or not. In this case, could SONY have had better security? I think so.

Nothing on the internet is safe. Any site you give your information too is a risk you take. We all take this risk.

To this point, it seems some organizations take a more serious tone than others regarding your information. People need to make the choice for themselves. The companies that take it seriously and act accordingly to any breach of information will stay afloat. If I was SONY, I would be worried about the comments I am reading here and on other sites. Some of their customers are gone forever because of this.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 8:52AM Yellowdancer said

I trust other MMO companies. I never trusted SCEA.

Gotta wonder...what will this do to DCUO. I'm not sure they can just change their CC# for that game. I think they have to cancel and resub which would negate their Legends($10/month) subscriptions.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:00AM Nidrew said

Bad things happen in the internet world, especially when someone is out to get you. So I'll just sit back and play on my PC until the PSN comes back up and things will go back to normal....gaming time split between console and PC again.
No trust lost here, Just another reason to dislike hackers.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:17AM JadeCurtiss said

• 1 heart
I trust the companies but I donĀ“t trust the hackers stop blaming the companies and blame the idiot who does the illegal stuff. NO one told the hacker to hack PSN still he did it not Sony's fault that a hacker deiced to be a a bloody attention whore.

Choose My Adventure: Firefall as it stands