Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:05AM Bramen said

I was in the beta. Be careful on this one. It's not bad, but it is not cutting edge either. It feels like every game I have played since 2003. But it has it's charms too.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 10:05AM awitelintsta said

@Bramen

Seconding your comments. It's definitely an old game. I think they're insane to charge $50 for it, and even more insane to charge a subscription. That doesn't mean that it's a bad game, though; it's definitely charming and interesting and just different enough to make its own niche. It would probably flourish under a different payment model.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:27AM Nyan said

They are still going with a P2P model for this game? Wow...

As the person above said it has it's charms but it's nowhere near the current generation of MMOs graphics or mechanic wise. There isn't anything there to justify the price.

Who would actually buy this game?

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:44AM macscarfe said

@Nyan They asked the beta testers what payment method they thought was best, and if i remember rightly, and they overwhelmingly said subscription.

Personally i though F2P was a better idea because as people are saying it has it's moments, but for me just not enough of them to warrent a monthly sub.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:57AM Alarie said

I will probably buy it. I enjoyed the beta what time I had to play it.
It's Romans, who doesn't like Romans and mythology?

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 12:18PM Daemodand said

@Alarie Two words: Roma Victor.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 10:45AM Rengar said

Unfortunately, with 10 year old graphics G&H will struggle as a P2P game. I'll probably wait to see the meat of the gameplay, (like the minion system) before I make a judgment on that. The graphics make my eyes bleed though.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 10:58AM Valentina said

Have they upgraded the running animations? They were horrendous when I last tested the game.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 11:44AM Space Cobra said

Well, I don't mind the $50 to support a small studio, but I don't know about a running sub.

Hope they have game-time cards, because I only see myself popping on every-so-often and not long-term; it's a fun game and I am glad there is player housing, but it needs more..."oomph".

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 12:20PM Daemodand said

IBTF2P

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 12:31PM Plastic said

I'm a fan of the game, and the team behind it, but in all honesty the $50 asking price is a little bit shocking. Once PvP and other features are implemented I could see myself plopping down $20 and a $5-$10/month sub, but premium pricing for the game in its current form just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 12:41PM Heraclea said

I have always wanted an MMO set in a classical, as opposed to a medieval, fantasy world.

This one, though, just didn't have all that exciting game play or graphics, and felt like WoW with some Guild Wars features (collectable minions) added on. Needs at minimum more customization and better writing to give it an epic feel.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 12:51PM madeleen said

I like this game. Some of the features are a little wonky (animations) but the detail that went into the cities is fantastic. Rome looks gorgeous in this game.

I'm not a big fan of F2P so the pay options don't bother me. If the game can get enough supportive fans to finance further development that would be good. It doesn't need to be a huge game like some others.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 1:56PM socialenemy2007 said

Way too early Heatwave. The graphics are like eq1 Luclin's "updated" graphics and the combat animations are just as jerky.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 2:27PM syklonis said

Agreed with everyone's thoughts as well. Been in and out of the beta since last year and this game is no where near the quality of a p2p game. They most likely are trying to recoop money and will be forced into f2p eventually. Just not enough strong aspects to warrant a monthly fee, from me anyways...

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 11:32PM RedWolf said

Love the setting, could not get past how poor the graphics are.

Posted: Apr 29th 2011 6:24AM (Unverified) said

I think Heatwave must be desperate for revenue, and has probably run out of investment capital. After having beta tested for nearly 6 months, I can quite assuredly say that the game will not be worth spending $50.

Since I began testing, Heatwave has also failed to meet a single deadline they've set. So when you sit down to play your $50 game on June 14, be prepared for it to be the same buggy early-beta quality crap we've been dealing with for months now.

Unless you love the setting so much that you're willing to pay $50 to beta test the game's half-implemented systems, save your money and wait a few months after launch to see if anything has improved.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 9:50AM Mikkhail said

no PvP, no crafting/harvesting, no auction house ... Is there even a mail system?

^^^ the minion system seems kinda cool since I like pet classes ... and the estate system (housing) is cool ... but seems to be missing a lot of really core things.

I will keep half an eye on it ... but pass for now ... better chance to get a look from me if it goes free to play.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM