Posted: Apr 27th 2011 6:07PM (Unverified) said

I checked out Allods for the sole reason of trying Astral Ships, however I soon gave up because I realized you have to perform an incredibly boring grind to end game in order to fly one.

I think this game would have been much better off, had they focused on this unique game play mechanic, and just completely scrapped the idea to make yet another wow style fantasy world. I would definitely even pay for a good game that allowed me to be in space pirate style fights with my friends.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 6:21PM (Unverified) said

"but it's one that presents a challenge"

Grind does not equal challenge.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 6:34PM meanieme said

I didn't recall this being a grind when I played it in the early beta.
I sat through the massive update, logged in and proceeded to kill some mobs my level and saw that I was getting 19xp per kill, and needed 24,000 to level.
Logged out and uninstalled.
Good grief.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 1:05AM Faction 3 said

@meanieme You dont recall it, because it was never there. I played the same time, EARLY Open Beta, before the Gipat patch, it was a goddamn masterpiece.

The patch came and completely obliterated it. Mob strength was increased, EXP required to level was raised to astronomical heights, and Reputation Raids were gone...trust me, it was great having to grind rep for gear by yourself for 6 days against mobs that were kicking your ass being 2 levels below you....fantastic...

I remember leveling my Summoner from 36 to 37 in 5 hours before the patch. Post Patch: In FOUR DAYS I didn't hit 38...I gave up right there.

I also find it HYSTERICAL that the Allods die-Hards are all claiming the game is "Healthy" and "growing"...yet to this day, it's never been, and never will be as popular and as "healthy" as it was before the doomsday patch.

And Stevie Wonder can see that one.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 6:50PM (Unverified) said

yeah i agree. i always thought that one of the most unique things about the game is at endgame. its such a shame, and i never got to truly experience astral ships. the majority of players never got to experience to astral ships. when i played. they quit when they reached the 1st true pvp zone, Asee-Teph, where the factions meet. thats more like the proving grounds. a bunch of high levels like to harass lower level players. its always a challenge to try to get help from other higher levels for defense.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 7:00PM tmarg said

I've only read one review of the game from a player who actually managed to get a ship, and from that it sounds like its not all that exciting. Which makes sense, if it's really that great a game mechanic, why aren't they putting it out up front in order to hook players? Theoption would still exist to make players grind for upgrades to expand their ship's capabilities. I have a feeling that if they did sell ships, those people who bought them would have a tendency to disappear from the world of Allods fairly quickly.

That said, I still think the cash shop is a major problem in the game, despite the changes. The thing that made me give up is the character customization. Allods has several (I think around 10?) different stats that impact characters abilities, three different talent trees (seeming standard now, for obvious reasons), plus an additional talent grid thing that unlocks more skills.

It is not immediately evident which abilities synergize with each other, so it would probably take a LOT of experimentation in order to develop a character which best suits your style of play. This could be a lot of fun, except it costs around $10 every time you want to respec and try something new.

I still don't understand how Beau can be so obsessed with "immersion" that he apparently forces his characters to stop and eat/sleep/whatever, or else the realism is ruined, and yet doesn't mind being continually asked to whip out his credit card and buy +2 Boots of Purple Taffeta.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 7:27PM Beau Hindman said

@tmarg A) I'm not continually asked in any of my games and B) I don't whip out the credit card even if I am asked.

I don't let it bother me when the sub has to be paid, either.:)

Beau

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 7:12PM GhostPhantasm said

The current mmo i play (Jade Dynasty) is a CRAZY grind fest but there's in game systems to make it a cake walk or bypass it totally... I tried Allods too and i wasn't too impressed with the pace of it

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 12:50AM Sente said

@GhostPhantasm

But it is not exactly fun to just set the character on autopilot. It may make a flawed design more bearable if you have decided to push your way through it, but nevertheless it is flawed IMHO.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 7:25PM Tribis said

I'm at level 13 right now and the grind so far has been eclipsed by solely following the quests as a guide to what to kill, but I can already tell the grind is long and tedious. I've already paid into the Cash Shop a few times and simply look at it as me paying my subscription as I go. I for sure would have liked to buy a ship or some kind of end game content as apposed to just bags and mounts.

Allods is an MMO of top quality and I truly enjoy the game and the world. Maybe this is some what off-topic, but I wish more games would be like Star Wars Galaxies before the Combat Update, because they would have more to sell to the end-user.

Imagine not just buying an Astral Ship, but maybe buying yourself a some land deeds and buildings. If there were non-combat classes as in SWGalaxies I feel there would be a balance between buying power, convenience, and avoiding a grind to a specific goal.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 7:44PM tmarg said

@Tribis
You are kind of asking it to be a completely different game. It's basically a WoW clone with some ships in it, it's still very linear, and almost entirely combat driven. That is probably another reason why they don't let people just buy ships, there simply isn't any lower level ship based content.

It's a good MMO as far as F2P is concerned, but I wouldn't call it top quality. The graphics are certainly nice, and it runs smoothly, but it is very generic, which is probably a main reason why people dislike the grind so much. It isn't that individual quests are all that bad or that it takes way too much time, but when kill 10 wolves gets followed up by kill 10 bears, followed by kill 10 boars, it gets old pretty quick.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 8:09PM (Unverified) said

@Tribis
The grind doesn't start until the 30s.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 9:20PM Tribis said

@tmarg I meant MMOs in general not Allods specifically that needs non-combat objectives.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 8:35PM Gaugamela said

If you exclude the cash shop debacle, Allods is a gem in the MMO genre. The game has great little details, the lore is terrific, the spec system is very interesting and the classes fun. I never managed to get a ship but I think it's amazing that a small company released a game that combines ship vs ship combat so perfectly with the more typical MMO gameplay.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 9:17PM Pingles said

@Gaugamela

I had my issues with the cash shop stuff but was absolutely in love with the game otherwise. I don't recall any grind whatsoever. I genuinely enjoyed my time all the way.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 2:19AM (Unverified) said

@Pingles
depends on when you played. after the gipat patch they upped the req. amount of exp needed to level so the grind got magnified. not sure if it was reduced since then because i haven't followed the game that much since that patch.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 2:04AM Doran7 said

First, let me say I like the game.. but second it is grindy.. as are most f2p mmos. My trouble with the grind in Allods is it's beastly boring. There is not enough variety in the grind to keep peoples interest... now excuse me I have to go kill 6 million pigs.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 6:43AM Budukahn said

I never got beyond level 10 in the early stages of beta, before Gpotato killed my enthusiasm for the game utterly with the cash shop implementation. I was thinking about giving it another go now that it had been "rereleased" and I have to admit Astral Ships were a big part of that.

Hearing about the grind though has just put me off it again. It seems a terrible flaw with too many MMO's that they ape the basic gameplay of Warcraft and only tuck on the awesome stuff that makes them stand out right at the end.

They should have made the whole game about the Astral Ships. Now that could have been interesting.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 7:34AM BadTrip said

If they sold you the Astral ship and you played it out they wouldn't be able to sell you junk over and over and over for the grind.

You're actually complaining about their FTP financial model, not a design flaw... at least to them.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 7:38AM BadTrip said

@BadTrip
Actually, I think "The Grind" and the resulting sales are an essential component in the ability to succeed with a FTP model. Is there a FTP game that doesn't rely heavily on it?