Posted: Apr 27th 2011 2:57PM paraLogiki said

@Deadalon You're on to something here. I played the entire game with a focus on tanking and tank gear, my good friend was my pocket healer, we've played together for over 12 years so there's plenty of trust and synergy.

I prefer to tank in a the games I play and I like shields (95% of the shields in Rift suck by the way, in terms of graphics), so I'm a Warrior.

I've been dragging my feet lately playing the game because I feel Rift has been treating Warrior tanks like poo for the most part. 1.1 totally killed my will to play as a Tank. I was on such a high for release and tier 1 was easy, starting tier 2 was going well, 1.1 hits and I found it hard to log in to the game.

Being a Warrior Tank is Rift isn't fun for me. I feel like I have no control at all on the outcome of a fight. Threat is easy, but I'm talking about things like if my Healer is stunned then it's time to call the wipe. Maybe I'm being a baby, but I've done my time in other games and I'm not feeling the love in Rift as a Tank.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 4:00PM The Minn said

@Deadalon I'm a tank! But only 21 ;)

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 2:31PM (Unverified) said

Sadly this for me is another example of RIFT becoming more WoWesque, from the BG's, Some skill tree names, and now Dungeon finder. It all leads to if you can't parse this, or have this stat or build...we don't want you in the group.

I loved the initial concept and signed up for 6 months, but will never do that again as I am quickly becoming disenchanted with the gear grind and the game is barely one month old, I have 2 50's and i am not even hard core.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 2:46PM Deadalon said

@(Unverified)

Its very hard to create a good populated server for doing 5 man content - when you have to limit the overal population based on world events. PPL playing on low populated servers are giving up on shouting /5 for an hour for a tank - that never shows. Some guilds have groups going. But atm many players do not really care about guilds while they are still progressing through xperts. So they create a 5 man group around them and thats the guild. Maybe this will change later on - but I got a feeling it wont any time soon. At least not on the low populated servers.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 4:24PM Triskelion said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified) LOL - you're just figuring this out now? That Rift is WoW'esque? But, but you're not in Azeroth anymore? Suckers.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 5:33PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) You have 2 50's and dont consider yourself hardcore?

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 3:04PM aurickle said

I couldn't be happier that this tool will be server-only rather than cross-server.

Yes, cross-server makes it faster to get groups. But I feel that is more than offset by the fact that you'll never see these people again. You have no incentive to do the best you can because even if you suck the slate will be totally wiped clean when the dungeon ends and you queue up for the next one.

Also, I think cross-server queuing was a big contributer to the rise of GearScore. When there are 50,000 other people waiting in the queue you can afford to be a snob and kick or drop group when you encounter people who aren't geared as well as you want them to be. With server-only queues, your options are a lot more limited. Not only will you be more likely to give people a chance, you also don't want to develop a snobbish reputation that would lead to you getting kicked from future groups.

Finally, the fact that queues won't be popping every few minutes means that you'll be a lot less likely to spend your day standing around the capital city. You'll be out doing world PvE and will use dungeons as another thing to do as opposed to the only thing to do. I think this will go far toward alleviating the problem mentioned in the article with the world becoming a ghost land.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 3:10PM (Unverified) said

The dungeon finder opens up dungeon running (or at least attempts to run) to a much broader group of people. This exposes people running dungeons to some players who are unwilling or even unable to form social groups the old fashioned way.

As long as you know that you may end up grouped with people who have never run a dungeon before, you may end up with people who are "socially challenged" either afraid to talk to others, or major jerks, you may end up with people who Q up in a role that they really don't know just to get in faster, you can decide how tolerant you are going to be of the groups formed by the tool.

I've used LFD in other games before, often just to fill in one or two slots for a guild group without a full 5, most often to get to a dungeon in a pre-formed group much faster. I have both hatred and admiration for the tool.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 3:13PM (Unverified) said

And if they'd simply get transfers and merges going so most servers wouldn't be empty, there wouldn't even be a need for this "tool".

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 3:58PM Brianna Royce said

@(Unverified) I'm not sure that's really the issue here, since the LFG won't initially work cross-server. Besides, WoW servers aren't empty by far, and yet the dungeon finder was deemed important for that game.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 6:32PM (Unverified) said

@Brianna Royce

Hate to tell you, but there are plenty of empty/near empty servers in WoW. Blizzard would rather charge people $25 a pop to move their characters than allow free transfers or merge servers. Not only because they like making every little dime they can, but because the last thing Blizzard wants to do now is show any outward appearance that their population is in fact shrinking.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 7:18PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

People often say this sort of thing but seldom come up with any solid facts. Do you have proof that WoW is dying? As far as I can tell, people like you have been claiming it's dying since the game launched, yet the subscription figures continue to rise.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 8:28PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Did I say WoW was "dying"? No. But it does have a lot of "dead" servers. Learn to read.

And those subscription numbers count everyone who plays on an internet cafe in China, also. WoW's biggest playerbase is not in the U.S. or E.U. anymore.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 1:52PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Fine, do you have *proof* of these dead servers? People love to claim WoW is dying/has dead servers/people are losing interest etc etc but I've yet to see any actual proof of this. Most of the time it's simply a case that someone personally has lost interest in the game and so blindly assumes the other 11,999,999 people feel the same way.

Learn to provide proof.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 3:26PM Wisdomandlore said

I could really care less about the dungeon finder. I haven't had a problem finding groups for expert dungeons.

My problem is the dungeons themselves. Almost all of the best endgame gear comes from instanced dungeons or instanced PvP. The result is that the fun, dynamic, open-world game Rift starts out as turns into the same old dungeon/BG grinding game we've played under a dozen different names. Rifts (the game's name, for god's sake) become largely irrelevant. Most players in the open world are faction grinding. I rarely ever see players in Shimmersand/Stillmoor until an event happens, and then everyone ports in. It's a complete and total shame, and I'm cancelling my sub until they shift away from instanced dungeons and warfronts. When they put more focus back on the Rifts and breathe some life into world PvP I might come back.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 6:05AM Snichy said

@Wisdomandlore. This is what it was like for me. What started as an exciting game soon degenerated into the same old type of game I have played before. I still think it is a great game and perfect for those people who want that kind of entertainment, but I am finding myself wanting something different now.

By the way, I think you meant "couldn't care less" not "could care less" :-)

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 4:10PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, I don't know if I'm in the range where few are leveling or not, but I've been having a lot of trouble finding groups for dungeons lately. Twice in a day I got a four-man group, minus a tank, and then spammed chat channels a while only to give up. I hope the dungeon finder helps, pleeease help.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 4:19PM DarkWalker said

As long as a LFG tool does not make players suffer though too much frustration, and if players have the opportunity to add other players they find while using it to their friend lists and play together again, I don't think it can really go wrong. It's just a tool to help assemble player groups to do some content, after all.

Gear and spec checks help with the first part - avoiding frustration. Unfortunately, WoW's Dungeon Finder is quite lacking in this, happily assembling groups that have no chance at all at finishing the content. I hope Rift's tool does better on this front.

The second part - making sure players that meet using the tool can play together again if they want - is about guaranteed in a same server LFG tool, although that is not the sole way to solve this problem. GW2, for exemple, will apparently allow instant and free (and, I hope, unlimited) server transfers; thus a cross-server LFG tool would not really have the same kind of issue there as WoW's LFD. Games with a single world (GW, CO, STO, etc) are also immune to this problem.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 3:55AM Jaimie said

@DarkWalker Actually, WoW's dungeon finder does have a gear and spec check. Unless you were referring to something else it is "lacking"?

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:44AM DarkWalker said

@Jaimie

WoW's LFD spec check just looks if the character's class is capable of fulfilling the role, not if any of his saved specs actually fulfill it. Someone could have a Druid with two Ranged DPS specs and still queue as Healer/Tank.

And it's gear check only checks the highest iLvl item of each slot the character have. Otherwise, it does not even check if the item can be equipped - it would happily count a plate chest when determining the medium iLvl for a Mage. It also does not care if the gear is for PvP, an gems and enchantments are not counted at all. It's so broken, players often bypass the check by accident from keeping in the bank a couple high iLvl green items they plan to put on the AH.
It, of course, also does not check which spec the gear is for. I could take my Paladin Tank, without a single piece of DPS gear, and still queue him as DPS for Heroics, despite not being even close to the stats that would be required of a DPS in Heroics.

All in all, WoW's LFD does only a token effort of keeping unready players from queuing for Heroics. It's not nearly enough, and by the 5th time I was highest or second highest DPS - as the tank, in full tank gear and spec, doing less than 6K DPS - I decided to stop playing WoW's Heroics altogether.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly