Posted: Apr 27th 2011 8:33PM Saker said

Nice article! A interesting sounding game I always have known I really need to give a try.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 9:03PM alucard3000 said

Or you could leave pvp for fate to decide and just sail thru all the red circles you find on the map ;)

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 9:07PM Sonoran said

Nice article.

A good way to get around is to leave ships at key ports, then you can visit the port (captain?), the guy who has the inventory of your ships and transport to any port that has one of your ships in it.

Saves a lot of time because travel, especially upwind, is slow in a sailing vessel :)

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 11:11PM arborhawk said

Good Article. I have forgotten my SOE password and getting a new one is not working. I would join ya if I could.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 2:05AM PaterFrog said

Does anybody know what time Karen is usually online? I'd be interested in joining her for some fleeting maybe, if she hasn't done that yet.
I live in Europe, so I'd need to know what timezone she's in, too.
Thanks :)

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 2:46AM PaterFrog said

@PaterFrog
Also, which server would she be on? I believe the Antigua server is the North American one, isn't it?

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 3:36AM PaterFrog said

@PaterFrog
Actually, ignore this whole stuff. Forgot to check twitter, sry.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 7:46AM Karen Bryan said

@PaterFrog

I'll be on tonight (Thursday) at 9 pm EDT. Since you're in Europe though, that might not work well for you. However, I can be on during the day, which probably fits your schedule. I'll tweet any time I'm on, just look for me as Arienne Sauvage on Antigua!

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 6:02PM Luk said

Karen
You should wait until you have enough skills and better and faster ship before trying PvP solo. Because the only way to get any solo PvP in PotBS is through ganking slower and weaker targets. Think Eve Online only with much less speed and smaller area of operations. Group Pvp is another matter and can be achieved through port battles and RvR. As a pirate you have quite a lot advantages Pvp wise, because your ship capture skills allow you to get ships for almost Free, while the Nationals have to pay for every ship they say one way or another. Pirates also are have a lot of skills for speed and boarding which are essential for hit and run tactics of solo, small group PvP. However, until you get higher in levels and better ships, your Pvp will be almost non existent because any higher level player will spank you easily with avatar combat (which is level based)

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 9:33PM isildur said

I strongly suggest not setting your PvP flag. I basically added that for people who are masochists, so they could abuse each other freely. All it really does, especially at low levels, and especially when solo, is mark you as a victim.

If you want to try out some PvP, I encourage you to use the Skirmish system. It's risk-free, lets you experiment with different play-styles, and is more likely to teach you how to PvP. Flagging, or hanging out in red circles, is just going to teach you how to get sunk. :)