Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:27AM Sorphius said

When I played Darkfall (the first 6 months or so of release -- before the NA-EU server split), there was an EU-based clan that used to come into our city every morning and put the place on lockdown for about 3-4 hours. They'd farm our resources, gank anyone who missed them pinging the local defense system, smash up our buildings with siege hammers, then use our vault to bank their goodies.

Since we (and most of our alliance) were all NA players, we didn't have enough people online to fight them off at 7:30 in the morning, so all we could do was sit there and take it until enough allies logged in (usually around 11am-noon) to drive them out.

Worst part was, since they didn't have a holding of their own, there was nothing we could do to exact our revenge unless we happened to catch them out in the wilderness during our prime time.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:57AM thebillyman said

@Sorphius That's not griefing. That's just part of that game. It's what you are supposed to do.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 10:52AM Djinn said

@thebillyman

Thanks for the warning :P

And people in FFA PvP games wonder why more people don't want to play them...

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 1:20PM Titan1 said

@Sorphius
So because your guild couldn't get it's act together in a FFA PvP game with a skill named "Gank", to protect their own stuff (castle or town?) from a band of off peak players, you call it griefing?

I would think a better name would be "prey"

You should read up on how things worked in ancient civilizations. You might better understand how freedom based game mechanics work and what they try to achieve in an open world environment.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 6:03PM DiscordSK said

@Titan1
Actually, I think this is just a perfect example of terrible game design. No guild/clan/whatever, can keep people online 24/7. There are peek hours, and down hours, so in a better designed game there would exist lockout timers that you could set to when your guild was actually playing.

Otherwise you are faced with an excercise in futility, as you can never hope to combat the other side since they are from an entirely different continent with different time zones.

Also, another rather shitty design flaw is allowing guilds with no keep to attack keeps at all. Both of these things end up creating a game that just begs for griefing.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:27AM PrimeSynergy said

DON'T I HAVE A STORY FOR YOU

It was back in my Maplestory years (I was like 14-15 don't judge me lol). I'll forget this fools name: lgnore.

I was just minding my business questing and what not and homeboy started stealing my kills for no reason. So i move to a new area and he follows me. He starts doing the same thing again. So I move and guess what? Yup, he's there again.

So, I ask him why he's doing it and he just says he thinks it's funny that I can't do anything about it. Well, luckily I had a life so I was able to sign off and find something else to entertain me for the time being. I signed back on a few hours later. I check to see if he's on and he is, but he's like on the other side of the freaking game world. I thought I was fine, but guess what? Yep. He teleports to where I am and begins the griefing process all over again.

For about a week or two, it was literally impossible for me to get anything done because he would ALWAYS follow me around.

I tried to reason with him, but he was beyond f'd up in the head. Like he genuinely took pleasure in other people's suffering or something. As much as I liked the game, I wasn't attached to it enough to deal with people like that. I quit the game for a year or so and I never heard from him again.

I should try and see if the forum post I made back on the forums is still there. I asked the community to help me ban this guy and everything lol.

I don't hold any ill will towards Nexon or Maplestory though. I had my fun with that game, but is sucks that someone had to come along and ruin and fun I probably would have had.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:36AM PrimeSynergy said

@PrimeSynergy oops thats supposed to say "i'll never forget..."

and lookie what I found - http://forums.mapletip.com/index.php?/topic/67520-the-dumbest-guy-ever-to-play-maplestory/

lol, ah the good ol days

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:35AM DeadlyAccurate said

@PrimeSynergy Now that's genuine griefing.

I don't have anything that sticks out, though I did have an EVE corpmate who turned out to be completely psycho that I had to kick from the corp. He threatened to hire a merc corp to come after our POS, get friends to move into our system and attack us (mainly me as the CEO) whenever we tried to do anything, and told the neighboring pirate corp who went blue with us that he didn't think we could be trusted to hold to the non-aggression treaty without him there (::eyeroll::). In the end, though, I think he left the game entirely and never did anything.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:31AM stealthrider said

I'll spare mention of the mother-of-all grief games, APB. (Though it's much better in its current version, without the dumptruck kills)

Being an RPer in most games I've played, griefing seems to follow me like a plague. The worst experience I've had though would have to be this time an RP event in SWG many years ago was disrupted in more ways than one.

Aside from a massive group of douchebags on speederbikes swooping all over us, spamming chat and causing a ruckus, a sizable part of them managed to get access to our Ventrilo channel, where they proceeded to join/spamnoise/leave for a full half an hour. It turned out later that it was one of our guild's newer members that invited the griefing--he'd joined us specifically to get this to happen. Supposedly, he was banned sometime later, though he could have just stopped playing or rolled a new character.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:32AM (Unverified) said

I have never been grieved, luckily I have always played on PvE servers only.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:03AM Apakal said

@(Unverified)

Likewise. Griefing is exactly why I avoid and detest PvP In it's entirety.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 4:16PM stealthrider said

@Apakal

So why don't you avoid and detest PvE, too? Just as much griefing goes on on th ePvE side, if not more.

People train mobs.
Steal loot.
Farm open world bosses/loot drops and prevent others from having a chance.
Spam messages.
Grief RP in various ways.
Leeroy in raids.
And all sorts of other different douchebaggeries.

If you hate griefing so much that it causes you to avoid and detest PvP, why do you still PvE?

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:45AM Nandini said

Despite playing anywhere from several to a few dozen hours a week for almost 7 years now, I've never been horribly griefed in any of the open PvP MMOs I've played. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe I'm more tolerant of behavior that others would see as "griefing".

(My friends and coworkers often chide me for being too patient and forgiving, as if that were a bad thing!)

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:48AM OmegaDestroyer said

I've had it pretty good as far as actual griefing goes. The only memorable experience I've had was way back in Everquest. I was playing a bard, running through a low-level zone and was paralyzed by a player. He demanded all my items or he would train monsters on me. I thought it was pretty pathetic, sat down, and exited the game.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:54AM (Unverified) said

Once I was playing my rogue alt in Duskwood in world of warcraft. A level 70 Warlock, hunter, and druid came in and griefed the low levels even in the crypts that day. I was so infuriated that I couldnt leave that I logged on my Warrior, found them together and while wearing my full set of pvp gear I farmed the 3 of them for several hours. They literally did NOT know how to CC, so at first they tried to all wake up together and take me, they tried to get up and distract me until the others were full health, eventually they all tried to separate, and still after a couple hours I farmed 2 of them, and then 1 of them, until he logged off.

Dont you EVER FORGET ME, I WAS KAAMOS on WILDHAMMER >:O

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 11:02AM Djinn said

@(Unverified)

Good for you! Nice to see some wankers get their due.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:08AM cowboyhugbees said

One time, this guy joined our fellowship and did the typical "draw mob train then drop". Immediately afterwards, he sent me a tell asking if I wanted to RP (because I had my flag on).

The rage was palpable

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:33AM Heraclea said

I used to love it in City of Heroes when the courtyard of Portal Corps was where all the powerlevellers went. It used to be possible to lure giant Devouring Earth monsters from distant islands, and get them to follow you into the courtyard. There they would usually kill a handful of lowbies with one of their AoE attacks.

This kind of mob training gave rise to emergent play; the high level characters in the zone all went to beat on the giant monsters. Since then, the monsters have been put on a short leash, and police drones kill any stray monsters in the area, and nobody goes there for power levelling much anyways.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 3:12PM lighttech said

@Heraclea

yep I caught a guy trying this one out one day and told him in personal chat to him to stop--when he came back with "its too fun" I then told him in public broadcast said same and that i was screen shot-ing him and logging chat for the dev CS team to ban him for later --he stopped

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:38AM (Unverified) said

Nothing really ever beat the original Ultima Online (before the PvP/PvE world split) for being able to grief or be griefed.

I had been out adventuring with some random guy who, after we'd just killed some tough monsters and I was really hurt, turned to me and started throwing purple explosive potions at me, and his buddy swept in from the woods to finish me off.

They stole my house key and my bag of runes, teleported back to my house and looted it. They were inside it trashing it when I got back and chased me off, but I was finally able to get back in and change the locks.

Nothing like a nice mugging and home invasion to put you in the Britannian spirit.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014