Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:23PM Tovrin said

Yes ... Gameloft games are so often a rip off of other ideas and other games, but at least they get them working on a mobile platform, which is something that other companies couldn't be asked doing. They are fun for a diversion anyway.

I'm not sure I'd play it long enough to get past the initial 3 months anyway ... lol!

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 11:01PM badpenny said

Yes, gameloft games are so often a rip off of other ideas... Kind of like Blizzard games.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 1:53PM Dril said

@badpenny

Yeah, I know what you mean man.

I'm so glad I've started playing RIFT again. I feel so liberated from those copycat bastards at Blizzard. I hope WoW falls down a well.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 4:51PM Space Cobra said

@Dril

You need to put more sarcasm in your sarcasm! ;D

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 12:07AM TheGreatMachine said

Pretty blunt and unfriendly way to introduce an MMO to your readers.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 2:36AM Miffy said

The game is bad

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 4:36AM pcgneurotic said

"...a wide-scale beta of sorts"

I love the phrasing, it's a very British way of saying 'kinda-sorta'. I just wonder why the poor Canadians got lumbered with it first?

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 5:47AM Revolting said

The outright hostility this game is receiving is utterly mind-boggling to me.

Sure, it's an unashamedly close copy of WoW, and a somewhat primitive one at that, but the main selling point is not that it's a WoW replacement, it's that it plays on a mobile phone. A mobile phone! That's pretty amazing.

This is precisely what Gameloft set out to do, take established ideas, be it starcraft, call of duty, or in this case, world of warcraft, copy and paste all the main features, squash and crunch them down to work (as in, actually WORK) on mobile devices that you can play on trains, in the toilet, in the park, at boring meetings, and for that alone it's freaking INCREDIBLE.

Sure, it's not going to replace WoW or any other "real" MMO, any more than their other rips are going to replace Star Craft II or whatever they're shamelessly copying this time. But they're not supposed to. You can't play those PC/console titles on a mobile phone, but you can play these. That's all they've tried to achieve, and in that, they've been astoundingly successful. I'll definitely be getting this, because I can't play the real WoW on a 3 hour bus journey, and while Pocket Legends is fun, it doesn't quite hit the mark in the way that this appears to.

How long the sub fee gets paid is another matter.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 3:34PM Gaugamela said

@Revolting

WoW is the only sacred game in the gaming industry. Any heretic that has features that can be considered similar will be burnt to the ground by the bad mouthing of WoW fanboys.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 5:02PM Space Cobra said

@Revolting

I do get guilty of this, but one can look at this from a different angle; there is nothing new under the sun. People tend to say that about stories, but it is true with many things, especially if you stretch out how they arrived at ideas. Art can be copies, even great Art. I mean, if I draw from still life, IMO, that could be considered tracing, wheras someone drawing from their mind freehand, is to be envied. (Being a former artist, I've come up to this and all the philosophical debates of, "Why need an artist when you have a camera?")

It's so easy to point at something, like art, or a game and say, "You copied it!". Sometimes it is blatant but other times, maybe it's just taking a few core ideas and adding new things into a stew. I mean, really, Hanna-Barbera Studios and Marvel Comics were the Kings of stealing other people's material and creating a near-product that evolved into their own with their own spin.

And sometimes, even I become to jaded. You know the old saying, "Everything old is new again." Well, to younger folks, yes, it is, but to older ones, they can scoff (and I am guilty of it) and point out the original idea or genesis (of course, it seems like the newer generation doesn't care or doesn't see it).

It's basically taking an idea and putting it in a new place or setting is what this is. If Blizzard wants to go full-scale and make their own Mobile MMO (or develop a better app/tie-in with their existing ones), let them. But if they don't, it is an untapped and un-used market.

At least, if these folks make money, they will show/point the way for other such efforts, perhaps even more original/creative ones.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 12:48PM Jef Reahard said

Frankly I boggle at the projections of hostility or unfriendliness if they are in regard to what I wrote. Personally I think the game looks pretty interesting. I'm not a fan of iOS/Droid/PSP/DS gaming due to a preference for larger screens and traditional controls, but if I had to play a mobile MMO, I'd definitely check this one out.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 1:56PM Revolting said

@Jef Reahard

No, Jef, for my part, I was not responding to your article (which is appropriately neutral), but to a couple of the comments above mine, which are not atypical of those left by readers on articles such as this one since the appearance of the game on the canadian app store yesterday, proclaiming (based on no actual experience whatsoever) that the game as nothing but a bad WoW ripoff and why play it when you can play the real thing instead, as if it were ever even trying to compete with desktop PC MMOs.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 1:02PM Inspectah said

just bought it, and i dont care about what it looks like or who its ripping off. if its fun and for sale, im gonna try it then make my decision.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 1:13PM Beau Hindman said

Looks great so far, and I haven't even tried it on the iPad yet. 7 bucks for 3 months, and a buck after that? Not bad. Runs good on the iPhone 3GS as well.

Beau

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 3:07PM Inspectah said

So now ive been playing for 2 hours and it is the best mmorpg for ios, well... pocket legends was good, but this has everything its missing, along with that subscription. but i think i can handle that for a game that plays this well.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 5:36PM badpenny said

I haven't played wow in years, but I am enjoying this game on my ipad2.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 11:26PM Aberhams said

I saw the title and got excited thinking it was an MMO based on L.E.Modesitt's Saga of Recluse series. that would make a great MMO. too bad.