Posted: Apr 26th 2011 11:50AM Rayko said

They make crappy arcade style games they don't/barely qualify as a MMO but whatever.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 11:53AM Elikal said

350 MILLION DOLLAR? For... for this trash they make? Good riddance.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 11:59AM Space Cobra said

Umm...urgh...."yeah...."

Normally I try to look for something upbeat or more detailed, but what Rayko says is true. Just click the link. They have a game suggesting "Ultima" in that Ultima font, but it ain't Ultima ("Lord of Ultima").

I think the biggest game is probably "Battlestar Galactica".

Probably this is inline with yesterday's news of an Asian company investing in a browser game-system. They probably bring browser gaming to the table, but just what TYPE of game, is dubious at best. :/

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:14PM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

Actually, if I were in the buying company's shoes, I'd either try to get some more quality games out there, alongside some of these turkeys.

I am thinking they made a mistake with the purchase, but we shall see what happens...if anything.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 2:08PM Beau Hindman said

@Space Cobra I've followed these guys for a while, and they can swallow many companies for lunch. Sea Fight and DarkOrbit are by far their largest games.

Whether any of us agree or not about the "quality" of the games does not matter -- I think there are several million who would argue. :)

Beau

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 2:11PM Rayko said

@Beau Hindman

Argumentum ad populum, Beau ? really ? =)

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:09PM Hookan91 said

I wouldn't say that their games are MMOs. They are just online games and in my opinion, the only good game they have is Battlestar Galactica Online.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 1:08PM tk421242 said

I am sure with a price of 350 million they are thinking beyond what we look at as gamers. We just see the titles they publish at the moment. Looking on their company site they are big into publishing and have an entire section for indie devs to inquire about publishing thru their company.

While they are not MMOs in the way we as MMO gamers think of them, they still have a broad market and that could mean more consumers. Look at Zynga. Annoying as Cityville is, it is not an MMO per most peoples definitions, but it sure has made a ton of cash for them quickly.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 1:30PM Sente said

I looked at their web site - it says they have over 198 million registered users and almost 900K online at the moment.

Thats the kind of numbers investors care about; not whether they have something that could be considered a decent MMO or not.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 2:09PM Rayko said

@Sente

Your missing the larger point: I come to this site to read Info about MMOs, as in Massively, as in the first M in MMO. I could give too goblin turds about a company that makes arcade style games and one half assed barely able to call itself a MMO without being laughed at ( although I laugh at it whenever it comes up).

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 3:35PM Sente said

The site is not really flooding with such posts and they do still make an MMO. They have also received an sizeable investment that you rarely see any reports of for the more "proper" MMO companies.

There is certainly a larger picture here and that includes what is happening in the fringes of what many consider the "proper" scope of MMOdom, because that affects the market for MMOs as well.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 5:12PM Rayko said

@Sente

"what many people consider(call) " is a BS argument tactic for making statements you can't back up with facts. Watch fox news much ?

Posted: May 18th 2011 3:46PM VladoBASK said

be very careful, my experience (not just mine) with bigpoint is highly negative: http://www.mydarkorbit.com