Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:39PM Zantom said

I didn't know that there was going to be a Marvel MMO. I thought Champions became Champions because Microsoft cut Cryptic loose and Cryptic switched gears to Champions...

The only other mention I knew of was that little children's browser based MMO for Marvel.

Hmmm, I wonder what is going to be revealed.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 10:16PM Protoavis said

@Zantom

It was announced as happening back in mid 2009 (or at least that's when the deal about it was announced). It's being done by the same company as the kiddie browser one but a different studio of that company. There just hasn't really been any information about it thus far beyond a couple names being attached to the project.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:43PM Interitus said

Matt Fraction

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:55PM Furdinand said

Bendis, he writes everything now it seems like. Definitely seems to be spearheading the Marvel Universe's direction in general.

Is this still going to be by the guys that are doing Hero Squad?

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 10:16PM Protoavis said

@Furdinand

same company, different studio (ie different people)

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 9:22PM Yellowdancer said

Cryptic had a license for Marvel Classic comics. Zillion or whatever had the license for Super Hero squard. Rumor is, the cryptic Marvel MMO was in such a horrible state running on the Xbox that Marvel and M$ agreed to can the project...and CO was born.

Marvel then signed their classic IP over to Zillion or its parent or however their names work. Its a different team than the superhero squad game but they're under the 1 company...Like SOE with its differents incarnations/studios.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 10:21PM Protoavis said

@Yellowdancer

M$ canned it in early 2008, the Gazillion deal wasn't until a year later which is also the time Super Hero Squad Online was born. SHSO and MMO came at the same time deal wise.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 9:35PM Seldra said

As long as it's not Joe Quesada, I will never forgive him for what he did to Peter Parker's marriage.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:08AM Space Cobra said

@Seldra

Don't worry, like many "Corporate Executives" he received a handsome package from Marvel and moved onto other things.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:20AM Saker said

@Space Cobra
Don't they always, no matter what they do, how badly they screw up. Such a sad-sick-society....

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 11:01PM (Unverified) said

Gazillion has the MMO rights and are working on it. It'll probably be big budget since it's Marvel so I expect it to be watered down and derivative of previous MMOs (see Rift).

My hope is that they are willing to take a risk and understand that players are now getting jaded with the same game mechanics and do something new. Heck, just using DCUO combat mechanics with a more sandbox open world would draw tons of players and probably collapse DCUO, CoH and CO.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 7:34AM Protoavis said

@(Unverified)
They might do (risks) I know I've been emailing the studio suggestions for stuff I want to see that does not exist in any mmo I've seen thus far (eh I figured I'd get in early so if the email is read and the suggestions are liked it'll be early enough to actually change the core gameplay rather than a tacked on feature) which would be a lot more interesting than another repeat of a dozen other MMO's and honestly reflect the marvel brand a whole lot better than the cookie cutter mold of most MMO's.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 11:45PM aurickle said

I bet it's Stan Lee. I can't think of another name that would be big enough to merit an announcement about the announcement.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:22AM Yellowdancer said

@aurickle

Stan Lee won't be writing it. He's lost a lot of rep as a writer. He'll have his name attached somehow and probably do some voice work, I bet. He does have a recognizable voice.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 1:35AM uberman3000 said

@Yellowdancer
HEY! Never speak ill of Stan Lee! Hes just really really really old...

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:27PM Space Cobra said

@uberman3000

"HEY! Never speak ill of Stan Lee! Hes just really really really old... "

He never stood up for Jack Kirby and Marvel screwed Kirby over.

'nuff said.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 11:52PM notmsn said

omg! I can't believe they're finally announcing ...Zzzzzzzzzz....

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:23AM Saker said

This genre needs some good shaking-up. Have no real hope that this will be that shaking up, but whatever. My only real hope these days is Archeage, and Vampire the masquerade (however long that takes to come out).

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 1:03AM Degu said

I wish they'd get some of the older greats together- Simsonson, Lee, Englehart and such. I doubt if that would happen. Can't stand any of these newer guys and what's being done with the characters in recent years. Perhaps the writer won't matter for me, though, as I click past quest texts and cutscenes fast as possible.

I just hope the gameplay will hold my attention longer than CO and DCU (1-2 days in both cases). I'm really looking for something besides the usual themeparky stuff, but nothing new I try ever seems to cut it.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 1:24AM Space Cobra said

@Degu

See, that's troubling. I mean, I like DCU well enough (in small bites), but I remember hearing Gazillion promoting the idea of you playing Iconics. While we have this in Super-Herro Squad, will we get this in the new title and if so, exactly how will they handle it?

I can't see them doing away with customizable player characters, but I can see them perhaps watering it down a bit, so, in essence, you are playing Marvel Alliance 3 Online or somesuch.

Gazillion has done some great things with their kiddie MMOs, but they don't seem to have much experience with older-aged MMOs that I can think of. This is not a "bad" thing, but I wonder if they will follow an "Action MMO" model or some derivative of what they already have out there (LEGO, Super-Hero Squad)?

I have always warned (per DCU) that this type of MMO needs to be "deeper" in terms of character development (And yes, crafting adds to "depth" and the variety of things to do online instead of just fighting).

Basically, I need more info, but, to quote Han Solo, "I have a bad feeling about this." And, to add Obi-Wan in a mangled paraphrased quote, "This may not be the MMO you are looking for (to replace CoH)."