Posted: Apr 25th 2011 5:29PM Sladden said

This week has been really nice! :)

When we get closer to the release, it makes me worried, since I do not know anything about the lore at all....

How is the best way to be "ready" for GW2? Even if I have played Guild Wars and all the expansions, I still don't know anything about the lore, even if I love everything with it.

Will the lore in GW2 be something new and fresh, or do they have anything in common. If yes, how do I learn the Guild Wars 1 "story" in a fast and easy way?

I want to make the time in GW2 so enjoyable as possible and one of the most important thing is the lore!

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 5:44PM Irem said

@Sladden
The Guild Wars Wiki will give you an in-depth look at GW1's lore. :D For how it ties into GW2, which takes place in the same world 250 years later, check out this piece: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_of_the_world

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 5:59PM Sladden said

@Irem Thanks! :)

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 5:33PM Chef Kiyo said

I've really enjoyed catching up on Charr week, and reading everything in one huge bulk! I'm still waiting for Asuran week, and hopefully it's the next one! It's my favorite race and all...

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 6:07PM Dirame said

Lol, hope you turn off chat in RA, it can be quite annoying and frustrating.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 9:21PM DevilSei said

One of my favorite things about the Charr of GW 2 is they present a very differing view of technological advancement compared to the Asura.

The Asuran technology is sleek, it can be large but the Asuran egotism shows through the fancier and more meticulous designs (Edge of Destiny had 2 examples) thats not exactly function over appearance. And it all reeks of magic as the centerpiece. They also seem to tend towards the bright side of colors.

Yet Charr technology is sheer functionality, with bits of appearance whenever they have the time to fit it in. The designs are dark, jagged and rough. Its brutal in appearance just as the Charr are, and while the Asuran rely on magic, Charr technology relies on cold steel and fire.

which makes me look forward to see Asuran week, which is hopefully next, as I want to see how their technology has developed in style and more in the past 250 years.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 9:38PM Seldra said

I have to say I'm totally with you Rubi on that Northern Wall mission. My first character was a warrior and GW was my first real taste of MMOs. Having played solo console games I was like I'm a warrior I can take these suckers out, then the group was like "JUST RUN!" but I ended up fighting the horde myself to keep them off the team. That was fun and even to this day I still run that mission on my now turned alt warrior.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 11:08PM Locus said

Well, there's a few simple tips about FA/JB.

1) Depending on the day, one side usually dominates. Recently, more often than not, this would be the Kurzicks, because the majority of newer guilds that recruit random newbies in !All happen to be Luxon. This is probably because of the Gaile Grey factor (She once said she preferred Luxon because "everyone loves pirates", although the caveat is if you want to be a pirate, at least try not to be the ones with hideous elite armour and general fashion sense)

2) Thanks to the balancing in FA, it is very very difficult to lose if you if you are playing on the Kurzick side, unless your team is hopelessly incompetent.

3) Expect smiting monks. It is nearly impossible to have a FA or JB game without at least two smiting monks. They will always bring the exact same build with RoJ, Bane and Castigation signet and patient spirit - and are hilarious to torment if you have a ranger or a mesmer. If you want to torment them as a monk, bring Healing Seed (to save shrines) and Smite Enchantments, as they invariably use Patient Spirit to heal.

4) If you simply wish to annoy everyone on the map, bring a bar with nothing but Primal Echoes, Nature's Renewal, Fertile Season, Muddy Terrain, Symbiosis, Roaring Winds, Quickening Zephyr and Quicksand. This is nearly guaranteed to annoy everyone despite the fact that the effects are symmetrical and can potentially force ragequits. Take screenshots.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 8:29AM Tom in VA said

" These days Bonfaaz Burntfur looks mostly like an angry Pomeranian in a cloth diaper to me...."

Rubi, I LOVE writing like this. Thanks. :)

The Northern Wall mission won me to Guild Wars in many ways as well. Indeed, the very idea of "missions" and "cutscenes" in an MMO was new to me. ArenaNet really hit the spot for me in this MMO in ways WoW couldn't touch (though WoW has of late updated their game to incorporate cool stuff like this).

I also loved the general solo-friendliness of this game. Wish more MMOs would take this to heart. I doubt even GW2 is going to be a solo friendly as GW1 was...