Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:09PM Interitus said

Unless he has play it extensively, that is a very big claim to make. There are many different types of players and being able to sustain 1 million is a delicate balancing act. I have no doubt they will sell a million units, but keeping that many is a whole different story.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:23PM BrouCO said

Can easily be "1 million suckers who buy the box and don't get sold on it on the first month."

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:42PM (Unverified) said

The "Old Republic" part bothers me...is that time period really that popular?

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 9:29PM Vgk said

@(Unverified)
If I'm not mistaken Bioware did it so they wouldn't have any cannon/lore issues with the movies, and that way they end up having more freedom and avoid the whole "But Vader was in X at 6:25:12(S) at Y day" ordeal that could arise from having it set at the timeframe of the movies

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 9:36PM The Ogre said

@(Unverified)

With Bioware and KotOR fans, perhaps. Most Star Wars fans, on the other hand, want stuff and characters from the movies, even the (UGH! *SPIT*!) horrible prequel trilogy. Stuff they recognize.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 11:05PM (Unverified) said

@The Ogre

Agreed. It would have been better to even set it a thousand years after the trilogy. Then at least you can reference the movies.

I know it's a bit odd but I have problems playing games that go back in time because in the back of my mind I know the future is set. Yes, I know this has no effect on my characters but it still deflates my sense of wonder.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:49PM (Unverified) said

@ JanChel ...summer breeze?

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 9:43PM Seldra said

Uh...duh?

It's pretty obvious for anyone that SWToR will be garnering 1mill subs at least and more than likely 2mill, the issue really is all about retention and if they can break 3-4 mill. In my honest opinion the double whammy brand names Bioware/Lucasarts is enough to get even non-MMO gamers attention.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 10:36PM (Unverified) said

I love that they are bringing story to the forefront, maybe we will see more players get involved in there own story telling.

Posted: Apr 27th 2011 11:04AM Poordevil said

@(Unverified)

"If Bioware do it right ...I will be a long time subscriber. My largest concerns are exploration, they have limited space and have announced that there is no swimming in the game. I think that they fail to see that exploration and travel are large parts of the MMO experience. "

Really, no swimming? And the maps are rather small? I wonder if you can jump? This is starting to sound a little restrictive for an action MMORPG.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:04AM socialenemy2007 said

"1 million subscribers possible." Translation: DERP. In other news, MMO's cater to stock holders instead of gamers. Wonder why MMO's have failed to innovate...

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 12:30AM Space Cobra said

Like most comments, yeah, 1 million at launch (or more) ain't no big thang... It's holding onto long-term subs that's the key.

Actually, I think EA's own number of 500K subs are probably more right on the money, not for launch, but for sustainability of subs, at least 3-6 month's out (See? I can speculate, too!) I think, at worst, you may see a drop to 250K-300K around month 3, if the game is "so terrible"; or after month 6.

Optimistically, you will at least see 500K for a year, probably a bit more (or much more if I were really optimistic). It depends on a few factors and how most fans/players like the game and will join. While some point out wanting a new paradigm of MMO, I think many will be content with ToR and may move over to it. Again, optimistically speculating.

But yeah, go buy stock in EA/Bioware now and sell the stock after launch. Use these "crystal ball charlatans" and make your money, folks.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 1:36AM PhelimReagh said

Are there really THAT MANY people who are big Star Wars fans and who might play this game but aren't already playing some other MMO?

I really don't think that there is some huge untapped 1/2 million potential MMO subscribers out there that EA/Bioware can just pull out of the either because the right SW game hasn't come along yet.

Time will tell, but I'd be shocked if they get anywhere near 1 million box sales, unless this game is genre-breaking and pulls in MMO gamers from other games.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:42AM Zuato said

Unless I get into a beta or a free-trial of the game I am holding out. I love the Star Wars universe, but there are too many good MMOs out right now to just jump on and pay without getting to try it out first.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 9:45AM Zuato said

@Space Cobra I agree with you - this is another amusement park style MMO but set in the Star Wars universe. The initial buy-in will be good but 3+ months out is going to be tricky to speculate on.

I'm holding off on it until I can try it out for free.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 11:46AM (Unverified) said

My guesses:

1.6 million sales in the first 2 months.

400K subs after 4 months.

Motivation: Rift sold 320 K in retail in the first 6 weeks, make that double through on line purchase = 600K +

SW:TOR will make that X 3 because of the retail hype coming from EA (and that's 50% more than Warhammer).

Retention rate after 3 months is ALWAYS 30% - see WAR, AOC, AION, Rift (is at 50% after 6 weeks now).

So My guess is 1.6 million with a 25% retention rafter after the 4rd month.

For all those saying it will sell many more millions: it is strictly PC, so the market is rather small without consoles for a SW franchize (kids these days).

I think I am not off by more than 10% on this one.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 5:58PM Misterlee said

So tired of this BS 'predictions' obssesion in the games industry lately.

'Analysts' are the new astrologers.

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 3:31PM Paradigm68 said

Given the IP reaching a mil subs shouldn't be a big deal. Keeping a mil subs over time is the achievement.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 11:51PM gutenacht said

In other news, the sky is blue... sometimes.

Is this seriously an expert opinion? I love the doom-saying in this board too. I think people forget that this is essentially a continuation of KotOR IP. It will have major staying power, even without these MMO elements.

Posted: May 1st 2011 1:49AM Poordevil said

Anyone seen this preview? Gamers impression after playing the game for 2 days...