Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 6:39PM Lenn said

@Mynsc I won't argue against your opinion, because that's useless. You like WoW, you don't like Rift. That's fine. Contrary to popular belief, you will not be hit by the lightning of some angry MMO god when you profess your love for one game over another. I used to love WoW. Now I don't anymore and play Rift.

See? I'm still alive.

But you seem hell-bent on proving Rift is a dying game. What are you trying to gain from this? You don't even like the game. Just ignore it and any articles about it and get on with whatever you like playing instead.

Are you a WoW player? Because I'm seeing this a lot currently, all over the Internet. It's as if the popularity of any game that isn't WoW is somehow a clear and present danger to WoW players, and it really makes me wonder what the hell is going on in their minds.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 6:43PM Mynsc said

• 1 heart
@Hawtsauce

3 quick things:

- you realize you are defending (and also encouraging) the practice of being lied to by people that want to sell you stuff, right ?. I want to see you stick by this rule the next time someone rings at your door and tries to sell you a useless shit that he describes as the answer to everything.

"Awesome try sir, you are a credit to the marketing industry, you almost had me there hehe. Cmon in, have a drink, its the least I can do for your trouble of trying to sell me this useless expensive pos". :D

- You insult me for an entire paragraph just to agree with me at the end ? I think they put something extra in your coke (or pepsi ofc )

- forgot the 3rd

have a nice day, mister "i can carry an intelligent dialogue even if I completely disagree with the other person... oh wait, I cant"

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 6:51PM Mynsc said

• 1 heart
@Lenn

I cancelled my WoW sub a few weeks ago and dont plan on ever renewing it (unless somehow they change the entire game in the next expansion :D ).

I dont have a Rift bashing agenda, I just expressed my opinion which got a lot of answers and having a lot of holiday free time I responded to most of them which lead to this long exchange. :D

I will say tho that I was dissapointed by the game and even more by the trend of making expensive MMOs that bring less and less new stuff to the table. And if we get used to this and start to accept it (which is what is happening with a lot of Rift players), we only open the road for even more "clones".

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 7:03PM Lenn said

@Mynsc Then why not come out and say that, instead of coming up with all sorts of convoluted numbers and lists? The worst that could happen is that someone downvotes you, or insults your parents. :) Nothing life-threatening, really.

You made it seem as though you had some personal vendetta.

It's all so silly, this whole "my game has a bigger

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 7:20PM Hawtsauce said

@Mynsc I am just raging at you because I do not rage/troll often...so im getting it all out of the way and I feel much better now. Thanks.

I do not care if marketers lie to me, and I disagree that Trion has ever lied to me. When I saw the "we're not in Azeroth anymore" i just thought..."well Trion just tossed in a WoW reference, way to give Blizzard free advertising" and then it totally left my mind until the internet trolls dredged it back up to give their idiotic perspectives validity.

A) I am intelligent enough that marketing does not work on me unless its something I need/want really badly, and only then only very novel marketing would get through my filter.

B) I insulted you because you represent a segment of the world population that bothers the hell out of me personally. Also because you are using marketing text to justify your perspective. Marketing has nothing to do with the quality/content/fun of a game. I find it pathetic that you base your perception of the game based on 2 lines of marketing text.

I just cannot fathom having the available mental resources to devote so much time and energy to commenting and tracking the stats of an MMO you clearly do not like. I would like it very much if you (and your ilk) go back to the caves that you dwell in and remain there, your stench offends normal people.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 7:58PM Rengar said

@Mynsc

I don't necessary think that players are accepting of lack of originality more then we haven't been present with a an original title that is also a fun solid game. The 2 most original titles of the year, APB and Final Fantasy XIV were dismal failures. (You think people are raging against Rift, check out the First month of posts from those games. Egads!).

It's always easier to take an existing formula and try to improve upon it then to design something solid from scratch. It's been proven over and over again in the MMO world.

Originality is hard and very expensive. You take a huge risk that you targeted market won't like your game. Final Fantasy XIV tried to be as far from a WoW clone as possible and still be a fantasy MMO, and the game had boring uninspired gameplay, shallow story, boring classes, grindy uninteresting crafting and a completely broken economy. In the face of releases like this it's underrstandable why componies would prefer to take safer more proven route in game design.

I think Rift has a solid base to stand on, what they need now is to prove then can come upon with original relevant content to keep people happy and garner new subscribers. Adding more varied types of Rifts if a good start. More varied types of PVP would be a bonus as well. This won't happen overnight, but as long as the game a visably making progress I'll be happy even if those who are less patient than I won't be.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2011 2:20AM (Unverified) said

@Mynsc : "artifacts (WoW's archeology, just a lot more primitive)"

To be fair, the artifact system is actually an identical clone of EQ2's collection system, not a partial clone of WoW's archaeology.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2011 9:48AM Irem said

@Mynsc
I'm sorry that the game doesn't cater to your tastes. I'm equally sorry that the people who really like it aren't willing to boycott it on those grounds. That must be difficult for you.

Posted: Apr 23rd 2011 2:34PM Daelen said

@Mynsc
Esh you some kind of special. Rift has more at launch than any MMO released since WoW. Rift has a list of "nowhere else" features which makes its claim to next-gen true. Rift has brought in huge numbers, continues to grow and to date its only fault is the completely free world event they didn't need to do went by too fast. Which is QQ for its was fun, why did you end it QQ.

Meanwhile WoW is still working on 4.1 which is rehash content 5? months after launch. Also when asked if WoW would do things Rift does... devs said it costs too much. You bring is 150 mill per month and can't bring in features Rift was able to using a smaller budget to build a whole game. Ugh now I need to rewatch that BlizBlues =P

Posted: Apr 23rd 2011 2:38PM socialenemy2007 said

@Hawtsauce "Lots of people do not want to play WoW because they do not want to be associated with people that play WoW, like me. "

Are you serious right now? LAWL.

Your argument is now null and void.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:18PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@Lenn. Well on my server either you stand around for hrs trying to form a party for an instance, or you use the LFG tool and get one in 10 min.

Everyone is so antisocial since WoW added across realm grouping, it's really hard to find people willing to group up when they can just use the tool and not have to talk to anyone.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:35PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
For a company that plasters "we are not in azaroth anymore" all over the web really is copying them to the letter.

So it should really "we are not in azeroth anymore, but you might aswell be"

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:39PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Also about populations on servers, alot of people on servers that say they are at medium or even high are saying there servers are actually pretty damn dead.

Who knows what trion thinks is a high server, but from what ive been told its must be pretty damn low.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:42PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
I'm on a high pop server and there are people everywhere. Keep in mind that a person's perception of how "dead" their server is might have a lot to do with their playtime; I see a VERY large uptick in players at around 7pm, while someone who plays primarily during the day might be stuck wondering where the hell everyone is.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:43PM Lenn said

@Irem Also, the population is a lot more spread out now. Two months ago the starting zones were top heavy. But just going into Sanctum, you can see populations are far from declining.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 6:42PM Joshinu said

@(Unverified)
Also the server pop titles (Full/High/Medium etc.) may have been fluctuating due to Trion upping server caps during the event. A "Full" server would no longer be full but high or even medium and some people may be re-rolling on other servers that are lower pop to even things out a bit.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:40PM Irem said

Weeeelll, maybe I'll go ahead and play for one more month. >_>

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:47PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart

Most MMORPGs (including WAR and AoC didn't decrease this quickly in price) - actually neither did Tabula Rasa, the only ones i can think of are both "auto assault", "Archlord" and "RF Online",

Doesn't go quite well for a young MMORPG... considering they attempted to create a world event quickly (which pretty much failed) in the same respect as WAR's thinking when it was launched (more events than any new content) - it probably doesn't seem favourable.

Lets not forget the lack of PvP warfronts and pretty much anything to do with the current trends on that front. Seems to be a mostly PvE game with a better PQ system than WAR. That's it.

Pretty graphics don't make for success - see Age of Conan
PvE doesn't seem to make for a successful game - Lord of the Rings Online is even free to play, as the current sub method wasn't working (and this is a game with housing and so many PvE goodies, Rift can't possibly compete with.

There is a lot wrong with this game, but it does do many things right.... game is mostly empty on EU (the new servers at launch were a bad idea here, Riptalon is quiet, i mean defiant level is so low i got to level 50 (galahad, got quite a lot of firsts) - mostly because there was only 9 people on at a time.

Hoping since Gameplay has sold out with the £14.99 more are incoming for at least a month... but.... if another MMORPG comes along or a couple, this game is dead.. and burried. May take a year or two... but yeah...

when you have to patch the water camera 4 times since open beta (last beta event) and it just NOW works... it doesn't show well for testing.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:49PM Lenn said

@(Unverified) "Gameplay in the UK has already reduced the price for this game at £14.99 (considering it was originally £30-40 and it's quite recent it doesn't bode well)."

That might very well be the result of the digital copies selling so well.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 6:20PM Rialle said

@(Unverified)

I saw an unsold copy of the WoW: Cataclysm collector's edition in GameStop the other day! It is a clear sign WoW is dying!!!11one