Posted: Apr 21st 2011 9:02PM cowboyhugbees said

"Chat Police". I hate that one.

Yeah, you smarmy bastard, I HAVE to police it, because YOU keep spamming the Regional channel with "why i likk ths game betr thn WOW" or because YOU don't know how to use an auction house or a trade channel properly!!!

...guhhh. I need to take a breather.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 9:37PM lucas42 said

I would have added "broken" to the list.

And Justin, for posts like this when you're going to get a lot of obligatory obvious joke comments, let me recommend GKP's solution: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2683

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 9:54PM Aardvarkk said

U no ur right, k. ikr, there making $ome crazi OP stuff, i meen rly,

It's not one or two phrases, it's the people that talk like above and expect people to comprehend them.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 2:15AM TehKlute said

"dumbed down"

Used when the casuals are all gettin welfare epics in ez mode... or something like that. Fortunately I dont think ive seen it used much outside of wow.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 10:37PM Laephis said

"First" is a carry over from Slashdot's "First Post" meme. It's a long-standing tradition that goes back well over a decade.

Also, those of you complaining about "u mad" are a victim of it's brilliance. AFAIK, it originated (like many great MMO memes) in EVE Online, particularly with GoonFleet. It was designed to highlight a person's obsession with something trivial (video games) and push their buttons in the process. The fact that you get upset with it makes it even more effective. As soon as you stop taking Internet [spaceships/MMOs] so seriously is the minute "u mad" loses all it's power.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 1:09AM Zyrusticae said

@Laephis

Actually, the origin of "U mad?" is...

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 1:41PM StClair said

@Laephis :
So you're claiming "U Mad" is yet another product of SA and/or EVE's toxic culture(s)? Figures.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 2:16AM Floodland said

'Fail' only stopped being funny to me the moment "the mainstream" (TV, mostly) got a hold of it. Yes, I know I'm being slightly ridiculous here, but Jesus Christ, man, 'epic fail' doesn't even mean anything any more. Especially not now that hipsters and small children are spouting it off like someone who even 4chan didn't want.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 5:42AM Budukahn said

Personally, I hate it when people can't see beyond their own personal e-peens and need to lord it over their fellow players. The PVP forums of any game tend to be the worst culprit but any part of the game where a distinction can be made between a self perceived "best" and the scrub masses seem to devolve into fetid cesspits of hatred best avoided by anyone who would like to believe they are having a reasonable discussion with adults.

That said though, I do think customer forums are essential to an MMO. They may be full of bile, but I really miss them when they're gone and I feel they are essential both for helping to build the first basic communities essential to the longer term growth of a game, and for direct customer service issues.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 1:17PM Scarecrowe said

...

Is my (least) favorite. I tend to respond to it as though someone was asking me to fill in the blanks for their lack of a reply. And if they don't like the words I substitute, then they probably should have used some of their own.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 1:33PM Angn said

I'm disappointed "viable" and "broken" didn't make it to the top 10. "Can I have your stuff" and "Sir"... srsly?

Posted: Apr 23rd 2011 7:06AM Xilmar said

man you people are offended too easy.

on the forums you don't need to make every post have 4+ paragraphs.
and if you do, at least try to pretend you're civilized and add a tl;dr at the end. that's one use for the #1 of the list and i'm extremely surprised that Justin doesn't know about this usage. Then again he might just be trollin...

imo stuff like 1.tl;dr, 2.cb/hater/fanboy, 3.fail, 7.sir, 8.balanced/unbalanced (not wow related) are just expressing different opinions and should be accepted by everyone who's posting. no reason to rage about em.

tl;dr: tl;dr

Posted: Apr 23rd 2011 2:19PM mattwo said

These are just ten you think are most used right? Fairly certain there's plenty more some of which I think would be better suited to be on this list that I cannot think of off the top of my head. (Remember though that is what I think, this article is what you think etc)

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 8:19AM Snichy said

People that use /shrug at the end of a comment, or say "I could care less" when of course they mean "I couldn't care less" should be removed from the internet...!

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 2:30PM Technomancer8 said

Almost invariably such articles, topics, and rants are made by people who have studied English for a considerable amount of time, obsessively it would seem for some, even to an unhealthy extent. These are a way of either flaunting their supposed mastery of a given thing, or one would hope, an effort to share their "hard earned knowledge". What one must understand is that society follows certain trends, and those trends do not end when a few individuals feel they should because of some overinflated sense of self worth. "It's not cliche' if you've never seen it before." I being versed in many cultures and languages must respond to you by saying.... LOL U MAD!!!

Posted: Apr 26th 2011 2:35PM Amaxe said

This article is a total slap in the face!