Posted: Apr 20th 2011 7:40PM ActiveNick said

Now if only they gave us more character slots, I would be able to transfer characters from 3 secondary (dormant) accounts to my main account. I do not play it much anymore, but my main account has Station Access, so I'd then be able to get access to all my prior toons.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 7:58PM Yellowdancer said

This is an odd story. They've been doing free server transfers for quite a while now. I guess they're just trying to get the word out there.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 6:17PM (Unverified) said

@Yellowdancer

The free transfers were meant to be a "silent" thing, according to my friends still playing SWG. You had to petition for it claiming your server was too empty and rumor had it if it became too public this was happening, they would end the practice.

I guess it worked out well enough SOE decided to make it truly official.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 8:35PM Lateris said

I hope SWG survives,

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 9:51PM smg77 said

@Lateris

Why? The game is so horrible now. Shut it down, burn the servers and salt the earth so that the NGE won't rise again to ruin another game.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 9:56PM DiscordSK said

@Lateris
I'm honestly surprised SWG is still viable, I've seen podunk towns with more people.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 9:57PM Yellowdancer said

@smg77

Despite the troll here...

Most people are shocked to see a lot of stuff that NGE took away, back in the game in a less broken state. I played it. Had fun but couldn't keep the sub. I didn't like SWG pre-NGE anyway. It was a collection of bad ideas.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 10:14PM Hookan91 said

@Yellowdancer I'm playing and the game is way better now than Pre-NGE.

That guy trolls in all SWG news.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 10:29PM LordBeefy said

Apparently there's about 40k guilded toons across all servers and you get two toons per server (some have three) and there's definitely still people running more than one account.

So it's not exactly dead yet but free transfers is their answer to some people being stuck on relatively empty servers.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 1:26AM uberman3000 said

How about a Free to Play sever?? Its a good game IMO, just not worth paying a sub for.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 3:09AM Zantom said

SWG is still a great game. The damage the NGE did has mostly been undone. There isn't a better sandbox MMO on the market than SWG. The free transfer service is a good way to allow the community to handle server load balance issues. The dead servers will die and the super loaded servers will reach normal high levels. That is why this is news.

For those considering SWG, don't listen to the trolls...

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 4:02AM jslim419 said

@Zantom

they didn't undo much of the NGE really. they gave spec choices, and armor is unrestricted. that is about it.

the best part is that a majority of bugs that were in the game at launch are still there... oh nostalgia. without you there would be no SWG at all.... well without that and hording useless deco items to clutter your crap house up with.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 4:42AM smg77 said

@Zantom

For those considering SWG just go play the free trial...just make sure you play beyond the tutorial for a while because the tutorial isn't indicative of actual gameplay in any way, shape or form. It's all academic, though, because SWG is too old and too broken to attract a bunch of new players.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 6:32AM FrostPaw said

"Servers can feel awfully restrictive when you're on Server A and your friends are all on Server B."

I see this a lot whenever the mention of server transfers comes up on a game....seriously just how friendly are you with these people that you manage to join different servers and then decide its better to play apart rather than both reroll alts to play together?

I tend to have two types of friends, those I make in the game or those I already speak to who know where I am playing already. If you are really unsusre of which server to pick on a brand new game and you don't yet know the names just use a number....server 2nd from top, 3rd PvE server, 1st PvP server, one at the bottom etc, its not rocket science.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 10:49AM Integral said

• 1 heart
People still play this game?

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 2:56PM RogueJedi86 said

@Integral

Hahahahahahah, that line has been said in every SWG related topic on Massively and it hasn't been funny since the first time someone thought to say it. Yes the game is alive. Just because you don't play it or know anyone who plays it doesn't mean no one does. I never knew anyone who played Second Life, didn't mean no one played it. Neither I nor any of my friends play WoW right now, does that mean no one plays it?

Yes people play SWG, they aren't making the new content or doing free server transfers for the only guy left playing. The game has thousands of players left, even if it's in the low thousands.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 11:19AM Starry said

The most populated server by far is Starsider and it is NOT a destination server for the free transfers. Flurry is a distant second population-wise, so I am sure many characters that gave been held hostage on the dead servers (majority of remaining servers) will migrate there.

No matter what content or 'shinies' have been bolted onto the NGE version of SWG, it is still the NGE . The closed, dead and dying servers are a testament to the Fail the NGE is.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 3:15PM RogueJedi86 said

@Starry

The only people calling it dead are the people who left long ago. When I came back around Christmas'09, Mos Eisley was full of people, as was Theed and other places. Granted I was on Starsider, but for a dead game I sure saw a lot of people.

If by chance you were playing recently, why? You still hate the NGE after 5 1/2 years(which is longer than the game's 2 1/2 year pre-NGE lifespan by double), so why would you ever play that NGE? The bugs in the NGE have all been kinked out, and if the NGE was reverted(very unlikely) you'd have heard about it, so need to come back even to look since it would obviously be the NGE that you say has killed the game(despite the aforementioned remark on thousands playing easily).

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 4:11PM smg77 said

• 1 heart
@RogueJedi86

You seem to be the only person here defending the great NGE. If there are so many happy customers why do you have to fight the good fight by yourself?

Or maybe you're not really a player and yet another "guerrilla marketer" hired by SOE to prop up their dying company

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 7:46PM RogueJedi86 said

@smg77

Because they're playing the game.

"Yet another guerrilla marketer hired by SOE"? Those exist? Can you name any? I'm sure not one, though I wish I could get paid just to talk good about games.

I'm just an optimist who went back to the NGE a year ago after quitting with the NGE and realized that it really wasn't so bad. All my favorite parts of the game(crafting, space, housing, decorating, roleplaying) were unchanged by the NGE, and the bugs of the NGE were all fixed.

Maybe the NGE haters are guerrilla marketers hired by Blizzard(and other MMO companies) to discount SOE at the expense of their own companies?

One Shots: Nowhere to hide