Posted: Apr 20th 2011 9:56PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Where's the parts where she's complaining about the boss mechanics of phase 2, the 15 minute long phase 3, or the bugs of phase 2 and 3? Oh wait, she didn't, because she wasn't there. Where's the part where she complains about the queue and the fact that the last phases were a one time only thing? In the section titled "Don't Blink" because she experienced that. She never once specifically states problems about things she didn't experience in phases 2 and 3, but instead says the event as a whole was problematic. Why shouldn't she say that? She linked to Hartsman's post in which he apologizes for the problematic event. There's your fact: if the producer says it was problematic, along with the forum posts and what not, then one could easily arrive at that conclusion.

If she "wrote like she experienced the whole event first hand" she would have specifically mentioned problems in the two phases she didn't experience. She did not. She did not say anything about the bosses or the actual objectives or the RP that was phase 3 or any of that. She talked about it as a whole, where she experienced phase 1, the postponing of phases 2 and 3, and the queue, all of which are problems associated with the event.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 9:59PM (Unverified) said

And why are you acting like she is doing a disservice? Yes, she may have wrote about the event in a negative light, when it was problematic, but she spent a major part of the article either looking at other games or saying why the event doesn't mean Rift is bad. She talks about how it's still maintaining a good population, how Trion is responsive to problems, how this is one of Rift's first real problems, and how she trusts Trion to not make another event that has these problems. She's not here to bash Rift but actually to say that it's worthwhile to stick it out.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 3:03AM Haldurson said

People were most upset that they couldn't participate in the event, whether it was because of the queues, or because of how short phase 2 and 3 were.

I was one of the many people who missed phase 2 and 3 and I admit that it was disappointing. Even some of the the people who made it online in time were disappointed because the event had ended so quickly, sometimes leaving them without the ability to actually participate.

BTW, Faeblight has not been suffering from underpopulation, and I had an hour and a half wait (reported) when I first logged on for the event. Turned out it was significantly less than that, which indicates to me exactly what Trion has been saying -- that they gave priority to paying members.

IF it is in fact true that some servers have become underpopulated, I'm not exactly sure how to explain why some servers (like Faeblight) seem to still have a very high population. It may be a chain reaction, since some of the zone events and the rifts/invasions in general require some minimal local population density in order to be fun.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 4:49AM Brockobama321 said

World of Warcraft players tend to recall the opening of the gates of Gates of Ahn'Qiraj with mixed feelings.

I'm sorry what? I've never talked to a single person who didn't praise the hell out of the AQ gates...

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 10:42AM (Unverified) said

@Brockobama321 Really? No one? Not all the people from servers that opened later where oldies came in and just opened the gates without notifying the server to then transfer off 3 months later (aaah, good old transfer cooldown). Not from the people who weren't around the ONE DAY you could attend it? Nothing? Odd that.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 2:10PM Brockobama321 said

@(Unverified) BREAKING NEWS, YOU DO STUFF, YOU MISS THINGS! MY GOD I SHOULD BE OUTRAGED I MISSED THE SUPERBOWL BECAUSE I WAS TOO BUSY DOING SOMETHING ELSE! BAWWWWWWWWWWW

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 7:27AM dudes said

Oops.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 10:22AM Sharuk said

@Brockobama321 During the event and the weeks after people complained. After the fact years later we look at it with rose-tinted goggles.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 10:39AM (Unverified) said

Oddly, I am one of the lucky ones. I play WoW okay! Before you bash me with your Rift vs WoW bull crap, I care very little. I play and enjoy both games, both for their own reasons. Because I am a guildleader in WoW, my playtime in Rift is rather limited. But I desperately wanted all the pets, as well as the lvl50 trinket (even though I'm not lvl50 yet). Which meant I needed 700 of the currency. In the beginning, it looked rather bleak, but with them upping rewards, I managed to get 600 currency before the end of the event. This was done in 4 play sessions. That is not a lot, nor is it hard, so reward-wise, everyone could get their fill.

The event in itself, the first phase, was enjoyable. I was happy with the second phase being delayed, mostly for the currency, but can understand the frustration of other players. Then on Saturday, I logged in at 11 to find the event would start an hour later. LUCKY ME! Noon came, no event, it was delayed. Yay good! More currency to get in mean time! The event started and I ADORED phase 2. Tons of invasions. And yes, after nuking a raid boss for 20 minutes, I got disconnected when he was almost down, I came back to see no boss, missing out on the currency I thought. But no, he had reset. A bit annoying? Sure, but in the mean time so many people had gathered that we brought him down easily. Then came phase 3. I had never been in Stillmoor and thought the trip to perilous to attempt. After a while I changed my mind, and thought I could give it a go nonetheless. I enter Stillmoor, to find no NPC's, no mobs, nothing. I had no idea that something had crashed, I was just happy I could go wherever I wanted! I found the place where th event was supposed to be held, but nothing there, so figured it was over. I found a porticulum, but no NPC to help me. At this point I figured that either I was phased because I wasn't the correct level yet, or something was horribly wrong. I attempt to relog and constantly got stuck at 7%, like the rest of my server. I watch a bit of tv, try again, I get in. I'm in Stillmoor and event is back at phase 1. They skip over phase2 and announce phase 3 again. I WAS THERE! Second lowest level around, but I saw it!

Was it what I wanted it to be? Content wise? Very much so. I only wanted phase 3 for the lore, and that's what I got, and I thought it was awesome.

Phase 2 could have been better. I understand you can't do MAJOR invasions for a full week, but an hour is terribly short and it was very easy to miss. I can understand phase 3 being shorter but perhaps the cutscene could have been on rotation for a few hours so people got to visit the event in case they missed it earlier.

Overall, there needs to be work done, but I think for a first event, it went pretty well.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 11:53AM Scarecrowe said

I got the rewards but didn't get the Phase 2/3 event -- it only lasted about 90 minutes on my server. The week before, when Trion announced that they were going to postpone Phase 2 for stability issues, they had also announced they were going to extend the event by a week. I'm not really sure what they were thinking or how they ever could have imagined that Phase 2 *could* last that long. The rewards were fine, I suppose but I really wanted to be a part of the event. I'm hoping they've learned a lesson on this and make sure to come out with something that will last a little longer than your average comedy movie.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 4:35PM winterborn said

Are we sure Smedbucks does not run Trion as well ?