Posted: Apr 20th 2011 1:45PM Sonoran said

It's been a while since I was in POTBS, but unless things have changed dramatically the Pirate path through the game is significantly different than the experience that Nationals (British, French, Spanish) have. Nationals are much more concerned with RvR and working as a team to supply resources control ports and bring home the win for the team. Pirates are more independent and society centric (rather than considering the whole nation).
When I played it was the French and Spanish that are the most into RvR. The British tended to attract many more players many of whom were more casual players. Of the careers it was the Naval Officer who was the most committed to RvR and had the prime role in port battles.
I'd suggest you consider rolling a Spanish or French Naval Officer if you want to get a taste of that side of the game.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 1:53PM Danteeeee said

Rule Britannia! I'll be reading this, it looks interesting (:

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 2:32PM Saker said

I'll be curious to read this also, have been curious about this game since it was in development. Really need to give it a look. I'll go with pirate, sounds too good to resist!

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 3:45PM DeadlyAccurate said

I just started this game with my husband about two weeks ago as a Spanish Freetrader, and I'm having a lot of fun. I love the ship combat, and the economy and production systems are very well done. My biggest disappointment is the lack of shared warehouse space (which is supposed to be coming). Makes it very hard to help providing fittings for friends, and makes me uninterested in creating or joining a society. (The initial main reason I created a corp in EVE was to share stuff with my husband).

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 7:04PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
@DeadlyAccurate

Warehouse concerns among hundreds of other things that were addressed when this poor title came out, and the majority still hasnt been implemented.

I think this title is one of those games they forgot is running in the back closet, the janitor may yet pull the power plug.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 4:40PM PaterFrog said

@Graill440 Just not true.
And before you ask me to show you proof, I ask you to prove the validity of your stance.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 7:13AM Space Cobra said

I am looking forward to this review. I haven't been on PotBS since launch. I enjoyed it then, but never really returned.

Make sure you see how the community is and server pops.

I may try this again out if the review is good. :)

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 10:17AM Tom in VA said

I am just a wee bit curious about this game. I have avoided it due to the bad press it's received, but more than that because I have heard that its ground combat is crummy, although the ship-to-ship combat is pretty fun (so I've heard).

In other words, it suffers from the same fate as STO, another game I really wanted to like. The content I generally prefer (ground combat and missions) is poor compared to the content I am less interested in (ship combat and missions).

I will be paying particular attention to the soloability of PotBS, since that's the MMO make-or-break issue for me these days. It isn't that I don't like like MMO grouping and/or features, it's more that I want those features to be "a la carte optional" rather than forced on me every time I turn around.

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 2:40PM Karen Bryan said

Just a reminder, I'll be on tonight (Friday) at 9 PM, EDT. Stop by the Antigua server and say hi to me (Arienne Sauvage). I've even created the "Massively Mateys" society, and all are welcome to join!