Posted: Apr 19th 2011 2:50PM WyattEarp89 said

Wow... four years! Congrats to Turbine on their four year anniversary. I have been playing since the beginning in 2007 and have been enjoying my time in Middle Earth, this is the only MMO where I have stuck around for this long.

Not sure what it is about lotro that keeps me playing, but everytime I log on I always seem to enjoy myself. I love the world that Turbine brought to life from the books that J.R.R. Tolkein wrote.

There are so many ways they could have screwed up the game, but Turbine did a good job in my opinion. Turbine has made mistakes with lotro, but I can;t think of any other company that should have made lotro.

I am looking forward to what they have planned in the future, and also I am looking forward to Isengard expansion this year!

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 2:58PM jealouspirate said

Congrats to Turbine!

I actually just bought a sub to LOTRO a few days ago after reach level 30 on F2P. It's not a perfect game, but so far there's just something about it that keeps drawing me in.

It may just be because everything is still new to me, but I think Turbine did a fantastic job of creating the world. I love the scenery, epic vistas and all the small little details. Of all the MMOs I've played LOTRO has one of the most convincingly "alive" worlds, in my opinion.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 3:11PM cowboyhugbees said

There goes my weekend.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 6:54PM Ryn said

@cowboyhugbees Your weekend and mine BOTH! I found a great Kinship in LOTRO recently and am loving it! See you in Middle earth.

Jealous Pirate is right, the world Turbine has made is one of if not the most scenic I have ever seen.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 3:51PM ScottishViking said

Double XP on monster kills? Yep. It's alt-leveling time. *runs to skirmishes*

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 3:57PM Stuxatte said

Haven't played LotRO since before it went F2P, but that's a great screenshot that reminds me of how atmospheric that game is!

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 6:12PM aurickle said

That anniversary mount (shown on the Casual Stroll guide, not the picture above) looks like a horse in a dress.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 7:11PM Deadalon said

And still ppl have nothing to control the mounts!!!
Magic .... In Middle earth ... for everyone.... what a freaking joke

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 7:19PM Space Cobra said

I was actually hoping for a shipment of double beer, but I was my alcoholic taste buds were cruelly tricked by the headline.

Although I am more into stronger drinks and foreign/specialized beers.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 2:11PM Vancali said

Double exp is great. The festival is not. Be prepared for a grindfest. It is 3 hrs and 20 minutes of whomping people to grind enough tokens to purchase one item. Those items are basically a robe, cape, dress, and maps to mount on your wall. The horse is another 50% more tokens. I'm sorry, but I have better things to do than grind tokens for a "thank you" event for the customers.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 2:48PM AlbinoViking said

FYI, this is a little long but a breakdown of how to get the swag from LOTROs 4th Anniversary event.

Right now if you want to acquire the new Anniversary mount, aptly nicknamed "Wedding-cake-throwup-horse", you need 30 "Anniversary Tokens" (ATs), 3 Horse Race tokens and 1 Deed of Ownership (relatively small amount of in-game gold). This horse does not provide any hp or speed bonus above other horses. You can run two horse races per day for the 14 days of this anniversary to acquire 25 ATs and the 3 Race Tokens (since you can't double choose the rewards). Total time to swift travel, slow travel and complete both races for me is around 6 minutes. Total time so far for 25 tokens and 3 race tokens over the 14 days is 84 minutes. To get the last 5 tokens you either need to win the lottery, which comes from their my.lotro website, or earn them by playing the Battle for Glorious Beer pvp mini game. This runs once every 10 minutes and IF you survive not getting knocked out of the playing area and acquire one of the handful of "giant beers" then you receive 1 ATs. Minimum time, 50 minutes, more realistic time for most players 60-100 minutes depending on your 'luck' in the Beer pvp mini game. Overall, the new Wedding-cake-throwup-horse takes at least 134 minutes, more likely 144-184 minutes for most people. For every horse race that you miss, 2 per day for 14 total days, you need to spend at least 10 minutes per token in wait time.

Also, there are two new housing items, 3 new cosmetic items and 8 new cosmetic wall maps for your house. All of these are 20 ATs each. Which brings the total ATs needed for all the new swag to 260. Since we used all of our race tokens over the 14 days to get the steed we need to win 260 from lotteries and the Beer pvp mini game that runs once every ten minutes. Assuming you win the Beer pvp mini game every time (win rates are 10-100%), over the 14 days you need to play that one pvp mini game for 2600 minutes (43.333 hours) so you can acquire 13 new pieces of swag. Oh yeah, the 8 new maps also come with a new deed too, which requires 5 more yet un-released maps. This can be all off-set by how many times you login to my.lotro and win the ATs lottery, each win nets 5 tokens which is at least 50 minutes of Beer pvp mini game time.

Apologies if my math is off, but I did double check it :)

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 4:13PM Daerin said

I am so torn by this game lately. I'm pleased to see the fourth anniversary, and like others, I have absolutely no idea how it's been that long already. During this time, I've had a ton of fun, and I still hope to stand before the gates of Mordor one day with my kin and friends.

On the flip side, Turbine itself has been sliding in a bad direction since before F2P. When LotRO started, I was impressed by the respect they seemed to have when dealing with their players. Now I really miss it.

There's a supercilious CM on the forums who apparently doesn't think the job is done right unless people are treated with contempt and condescension. The forums themselves are part of a forced live beta that came out simultaneously with F2P in an excess of poor planning, and which still don't work half as well as the old site. A once vibrant player blogging scene is now dead, and Turbine won't condescend to give updates on when it all might actually work.

In game, there are poorly planned events like the current anniversary. There's nothing like having a mind-numbing drudge grind to celebrate. And the game itself is becoming more about number crunching in terms of finding the lowest common denominator to attract the most people rather than focusing on solid gameplay or exploring the wonders of Middle-earth.

Most frustrating of all, and very well illustrated by the current uproar about the anniversary token grind, is the fact that Turbine itself rarely acknowledges making any mistakes. They have insisted that the current event is working as intended, yet they've upped the amount of token lotteries in an effort to provide more tokens. (Having a working lottery system would help there, but that's another point.) Apparently, upping the cost of festival items while greatly decreasing the mechanisms of gaining the needed tokens made sense to Turbine. Creating such a poor system, not seeing that it would greatly annoy/frustrate players, and still insisting it's correct when the majority of players revolt is pretty much an example of Turbine these days. (There are, to be fair, a few rare positive posts. They will undoubtedly be trumpted as proof the players *love* everything they're "given".)

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 6:37PM JoeH42 said

I enjoy going Clubbing and getting some Beer.