Posted: Apr 18th 2011 6:21PM (Unverified) said

As long as cash stores don't effect people's playing capiblity, (makes then stronger then a regular player) I don't care, it's just a fun extra, appearance is big for MMO players, many games tend to ignore that, Aion has the most options of anyt game currently, I'm rather impressed with that.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 6:24PM Syesta said

I wouldn't really have a problem with it if the items weren't 10 bucks a pop.
I mean, are there really strong enough sales of these to justify the price point?

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 6:31PM Germaximus said

lol Yeah i trialed Aion and its beautiful. As i browsed through the shop i was pretty shocked at how ludicrous the prices were for things.

Its very saddening knowing thats our future and its only gonna get worse.
I guess that isnt exactly news tho, things only ever get worse.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 7:17PM Nyan said

P2P + Cash shop is simply unacceptable

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 7:30PM Irem said

As it becomes more and more common for subscription games to start selling cash shop items (it's not game breaking, guys, you don't have to buy them!! I know, I know), I see less and less of a reason to support them over a really good free-to-play or buy-to-play game. At this point they're basically the same thing, only one is charging me $15 a month for the privilege of browsing their item mall.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 9:06PM kippet said

Aion's cash shop is mostly pure fluff (except storage pets, which, once bought gives extra space to all your in-game characters). If you have the money, and want more fashionable clothes/pets, you can buy it. That's all there is to it.

Some of the fluffs are available in-game if you want to work for it without paying real money. I don't see making a big deal out of this - it isn't game-changing, and none of them are "must have" purchases.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 9:15PM Utakata said

Things that are earned will always be far better than those which are paid for.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 9:24PM Nenene said

Cash shops in P2P games are completely unacceptable.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 9:24PM Nhoj1983 said

It's not a big deal to me. The game offeres a lot and if you want lightsabers... well.. you can pay... or use something already in game... it's a matter of choice and it doesn't effect the balance of the game.. so who cares? In fact.. I don't mind. I might even grab some of these if I like them.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 12:19AM Channel84 said

I'm fine with aion cash shop as it offer extreme fluff item. As they're only focusing on adding value to player who have it all and done it all. It's a way to increase a max out player uniqueness.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 2:26AM PaperSpeaks said

Fluff is fine, it offers diversity to those who wish it.
Cash Shop items that give you stat bonus or act as upgrades? Ugh, immediate alienation of a huge batch of players.
Cash Shop Lottery for the 1/999 chance of getting that one thing you need that will make your life in game easier is... well, horrible.
But still, if you look at most f2p games today, you still see those who just spray money at the horrid developers screaming, "Take whatever you want just make my e-peen longer!"
I don't know... I just don't know.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 4:45AM Forger said

Cash shops have no place in P2P games. Greedy companies milking loyal customers rather than oh idk trying to attract new ones through advertising and decent game updates.. SOE looking your way.

I really don't think fluff is ok either, because guess where they put the cool looking armour model an artist just designed, in the end game raid or in the cash shop? They should offer fluff items through crafting or as in-game rewards.

We pay monthly for the content, hence the monthly subscription.

Walk with your feet imo, I know I have.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 9:13AM Irem said

@Forger
Exactly. I know people like to argue that it doesn't make any difference because it's just "something extra" for people who want to buy it, but come on, if we have active subscriptions, we're already paying for this stuff. We're already paying the artists, the coders, and the designers for their work. The whole draw of a subscription-based game is getting the entire thing for one base price, but the more players give them permission to move even fluff items into the realm of "extra" the more the subscription price comes to mean basic access to the world, all else sold separately. Is that really worth the $10+ most games charge as a monthly fee?

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 9:38AM Lorell said

@darkogele Then, you don't know that you are talking about. Korean A-Style (Aion Cash Shop) not only sell items which are already avaidable in game (like costumes from instances / npc) but also event items - like they had event in which only 5 ppl per server get event costume for free, rest if they wanted needed to buy it from the cash shop.

So please don't tell me that Koreans get all for free. They have EVEN MORE bigger cash shop, our only sells some silly pets, costumes or dye, so it's nothing which would change your gameplay dramatically.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 12:00PM Resurge said

I'll pay for the "box".

If a game is good, i'll pay a sub.

If a f2p game is good enough, I'll spend some cash in the shop.

I will NOT do all 3 of these FOR ANY GAME. I don't care if it makes me coffee, and rubs my feet while i play, no game is worth that.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 12:28PM edgecrusherO0 said

I don't get the hate on cash shops in P2P games that only sell fluff items...You don't have to buy them? In the 6ish years I played WoW, all I payed for from their features (including the pets/mounts/server transfers ect.) was 2 gender changes for my main (granted, most of the stuff started around LK). But I didn't buy anything and didn't miss out on a damn thing.

Tons of people DID buy the pets and mounts or frequently race/gender/faction change and server transfer. Why wouldn't a company include items in a cash shop if there is a profit to be made?

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 7:40AM Deadalon said

Im a man of principles. I dont buy a game without having a chance of trying it in a FREE TRIAL. Their refer a friend system is lackluster. I expect a real trial. Until then I simply will not even consider Aion as a viable game. I might love it .... who knows ... BUt Im stubborn and will not play until free trial is out.

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best economy?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 8:00AM