Posted: Apr 18th 2011 3:30PM DevilSei said

Good luck with the PvP tryouts Rubi, and yeah the Kurzick waiting time is just ungodly...

It's actually rather ironic that the best way to gain Kurzick points during a JQ/whatever zaishen quest is to play on the Luxon side. You queue up, you pretty much get right in within seconds. Plus, free Luxon points!

Random bit of info, but I enjoy the JQ if only for the Siphon Life necro elite skill. Nothing like hitting like 5-6+ NPCs and players with it and become a veritable god of undying... until it wears off.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 4:08PM Tom in VA said

One of the nice things about Guild Wars, as opposed to most other MMOs, is that the campaigns have a beginning, middle, and an end. Yes, an END. And that's OK.

ArenaNet doesn't mind if you go play other games once you're done; they have all the money they're going to get from you anyway, so it's cool. They don't have to come up with artificial and lame ways to keep players subscribing to their game.

Other MMOs, however, have to come up with tired (and imo unappealing) ways to keep player playing -- and PAYING. And so you have raids and heroic dungeons and reputation and armor grinds and PvP and inane seasonal activities, none of which interests me at all.

I wish more MMOs used the Guild Wars design and business model, which basically allows players to play, complete the story or campaign, and then move on, coming back only when new content is added.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 4:41PM Wurm said

Of JQ/FA/AB I think FA is most fun and I think its the kind of PvP that is closest to WvW in GW2. Sadly you get most points in JQ.
Good luck with GvG if you are going to try that as well.
The problem with GvG is that too few non-hardcore PvP'er plays is.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 5:44PM mysecretid said

Rubi,

Your reason for avoiding PvP in general mirrors my own: I don't mind losing, even losing badly, but I can't stand the a**hole factor.

I get enough of that kind of crap in real life; I'm not bloody well going to pay to hear it.

Beyond this, I just don't get much out of winning. It doesn't feed my ego. It's just like "Oh. We won. That's nice. What's next?"

I /have/ found WAR's PvP unexpectedly fun (and, by default, enemy players can't communicate, so that takes away the STFU factor), but even though I like WAR's PvP best, I only play it rarely.

Good luck on your adventures, you hardcore!

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 6:07PM Graill440 said

While i have no RL friends playing GW i do take precautions as you alluded to. Turn chat off, completely. Unless your a social butterfly and crave the attention just leave them off, this goes without saying in any pvp oriented setting.

If your curious as to whats going on in local then turn it back on when your taking a break to enjoy the humorous absurdity of faceless typing and folks thinking there is no consequence being behind a monitor.

Alot of content to get caught up on in this title, going to keep me busy for a while.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 8:26PM C Rose said

Rubi I feel exactly like you do at the moment I'm afraid. While I still fondly love my MMO's, I am getting totally burned out with them all. I can't even stomach logging on to WoW anymore. Not that it's the fault of the game, but that I've just been playing for too many years in the same old scenery.

I currently play a large variety of MMO's and they all seem to give me the same feeling of boredom and apathy. I have been eagerly awaiting SWTOR and GW2 for years now and I'm hoping that they will reignite my passion for the genre, however I often times try to temper my enthusiasm so as not to get my expectations to an unreasonable level.

Although the Star Wars IP itself along with my trust in Bioware and the fact that it's Sci-Fi and not the same old Fantasy realm gives me hope. Also what Arena Net is doing with GW2 seems exciting and innovative too and I really feel they will pull off something quite new and impressive as well. But what do I do til then is the question?

Nice article and hope our future in MMO's is bright.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 3:42AM Locus said

Honestly speaking, you should start with FA and JB. They're actually more PvE than anything - Just don't bring in traditional PvE builds.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 10:56AM apoguita said

this FA and JB are nonsense to me, those are not truly pvp, they are lame excuses of pvp to pve centered ppl, just go to RA, Ta then venture to HA and GVG, nothing gets better than that, and yeah, yopu encounter tons of jerks sometimes even in your own team, just ignore em and play along

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 11:22AM epilepticemu said

@apoguita

I was really interested in learning about Guild Wars, but then I see a sea of acronyms like this and have absolutely no idea what's being said.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 11:23AM Rubi said

@epilepticemu Hey Emu! This one was a little more advanced than some of what I write, but let me direct you to Flameseeker Chronicles from two weeks back: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/21/flameseeker-chronicles-lets-review/

Hopefully that will help you out some -- enjoy!

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 11:54AM epilepticemu said

@Rubi

Thanks for the input! Your post was beautifully written and I think I got most of it. I meant that @apoguita used too much lingo for me to get :)

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 2:30PM cforciea said

@apoguita

I think Fort Aspenwood, Jade Quarry, and Alliance Battles are probably going to be the template for World vs. World in GW2 more than anything, and with good reason. One of the main problems with drawing PVE players to PVP is that it can be pretty high stress. Dropping into even Random Arena with a team of 4 strangers can feel pretty terrible when you let your teammates down and even worse when they start shouting at you in chat. In the larger, more casual, objective-based matches, not only are you less likely to be a primary cause of your team's failure, but also you can contribute even if you are not yet experienced enough to take on players in direct combat by mixing it up in larger fights, kiting people to make them waste time, or completing objectives away from the main battle.

In other words, these battles aren't necessarily designed for avid pvp fans (like you sound like you are). The do, however, help you in the end by providing a bridge for people like Rubi to test the waters and maybe eventually get into the competitive e-sport side of it, thus increasing the pvp player base.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014