Posted: Apr 17th 2011 5:20PM Dblade said

They already are too realistic. Playing your average MMO is like working a minimum wage or factory job. You do simple, repetitive tasks either solo or with limited solo interaction for a reward that isn't worth much considering the time you spend.

The setting isn't the problem, but the gameplay. It needs to be a lot more fanciful.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 6:16PM DarkWalker said

Realism in pen & paper RPGs can work because there is a living, (hopefully) intelligent GM to make adjustments in real time according to his common sense, potentially throwing away the realistic elements his players don't care about.

The first problem with it is that there is no way to implement common sense in the game servers. Any realistic rule that calls for common sense on the part of the GM is not implementable in a MMORPG. So, MMOs often have to be quite simpler than pen & paper RPGs.

The second problem is that the game world in a MMO is shared across a large number of players. Which means time in that game world is shared. Thus, since the game can't fast-forward just a single player in a realistic way, any realism element that represent huge time sinks (realistic travel duration, for example) has to be scrapped.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 7:55PM Haldurson said

I think that some people really want realistic games, but I definitely don't. Look at The Sims: it certainly has an audience, but for me, it's just boring. Personally, I just want the good/interesting parts. Eating and sleeping in a fantasy game is hardly as entertaining as it can be in rl. I want my rpgs/mmos/games to give me fun things to do that I CAN'T do in rl,

That said, I do like environments/artwork/gameplay that immerses me in the virtual world. If the story is supposed to be post apocalyptic, then the whole game, from artwork and style, to gameplay, to crafting, to music, needs to fit and support that setting. If you want a serious adult fantasy rpg, then you have to have a serious adult design and artwork.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 11:11PM Bezza said

Hmmm it seems to me that some folks are getting "realisim" confused with "real life". The way I read it realisim, in the contect written about is more about the "laws of physics" (subject to your game world's lore).

I like fantasy and sci-fi MMO's, but in all these game worlds there is lore that equates to what is and isn't possible within the framework of that world.

realisim in this sence referres to game machanics that go beyond what is covered in lore. It seems to me that it is more a matter of what is practicable in terms of game mechanics vs. what is allowable under the games lore.

When looked at in this context nearly all MMO's have taken shortcuts in game mechanics that are not permissible under the games lore but are nessisary to make a game mechanic practical and thus playable.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 1:47AM Sean D said

The setting - the universe - that any MMO takes place in does not need to operate in accordance with the laws of our own universe, but it does need to operate in accordance with its own universal laws as they are put forth by the creators. When the system of the game contradicts the lore of the setting, immersion is interrupted. That is, if the player recognizes the paradox and chooses not to ignore it or excuse it away.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 5:59AM (Unverified) said

I do not like forced realism (your character dies if you dont eat for example), but i like mechanisms that give you small bonuses if you behave somewhat realistically. Logging out in the inn gives you xp bonus, or eatig gives you a small buff for a time.

Posted: Apr 28th 2011 11:23PM (Unverified) said

realism elements SHOULD be added, or at least optional and I don't mean going to the bathroom. I am so tired of killing 72 enemies per minute and I'm done with button mashing. How about some quality over quantity? Project Reality is an excellent multiplayer example. http://www.realitymod.com/

Games should start offering realism options or modes, perhaps different servers with different realism settings. My best example is a realism mod for Oblivion IV - instead of killing 17 dragons by myself, a battle with a single opponent was challenging. Sometimes, the opponent was too difficult and I had to run away. How much fun is it when you can ALWAYS win? No Risk, no reward.

How about some depth? Instead of mining an asteroid by press the "mine" key and waiting 20 seconds to collect minerals while a pretty laser is displayed, how about some optional realism? How about landing on the planet, opening the cargo door and then having 2 players working in tandem to place an extractor and then activate it? Same time/benefit ratio but more involved....

How about suffering wound effects when you're shot? how about having to spend time repairing a ship in the hangar when you die instead of instant respawn? Wouldn't there be more immersion if you could go to the hanger, crawl into the cockpit, fire up the engine and watch the hanger door open as you hear the go-ahead from the flight deck before you blast into space? Would it hurt to limit the ammo people can carry so they don't fire 1000 shots per minute like idiots? If you only have 2 rocket launcher missiles, you won't be so apt to waste them. More realism is more fun for some some people. It should be an option....

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014