Posted: Apr 17th 2011 2:26PM Macabre 13 said

• 1 heart
Wait... are you serious?

You never even left the freakin' tutorial and you make a recommendation about what people should play instead?

I understand you had trouble getting out of the tutorial, and that alone would be off-putting to many, but at least get to the *actual* game before passing judgment in such a definitive manner...

I never consider Massively to be upheld to any journalism standards, it's just a blog after all, but a tad of responsibility wouldn't kill you...

PS: I'm not defending CrimeCraft here, never played it. I just find this article extremely lame and unfair to the game.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 2:52PM Pingles said

@Macabre 13

Actually, I think what he's saying is that he tries a game every week. And in the week he had he never got out of the tutorial area.

I think he made that clear.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 3:55PM alucard3000 said

@Pingles I got out of the tutorial the 1st day it isnt that hard unless they have changed it recently.
@Beau as far as the "it looks like APB" thing I think the comparison should be the other way around because CrimeCraft was released and playable before APB at least the RTW version.I dont know if it was playable when it was under Webzen before RTW got it so if that is what you are refering to ignore this comment.
And as far as Third person shooters go I enjoy the actual shooter aspect of it a hell of alot more than APB.If it had the better lobby with the driving aspect in the lobby like APB has I wouldnt even log into APB.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:26PM KDolo said

@alucard3000

APB began development in 2001.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:48PM alucard3000 said

@KDolo Still doesnt change my point,APB didnt create the genre GTA did so if anything they both are copying that.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 7:19PM Macabre 13 said

• 1 heart
@Pingles

Riiiiight, I'm sure he spent a week on the game...

Sounds more like he played for a few hours, lacked the skill to play through a *tutorial*, and then proceeded to compose this diatribe against FPS games in general.

If FPS games aren't his thing, no problem at all, but then why is he bothering with a review of a game in a genre he obviously has little interest in?

I mean, lets get real here, if you can't detect his bias against not only FPS games in general, but also against FPS gamers, then we must be reading entirely different articles...

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 7:56PM Beau Hindman said

@Macabre 13 It's sort of strange that you think I might hate FPSs, when in fact I have always enjoyed the genre. I bought APB as soon as it was released (and of course was angry when it closed down,) have enjoyed many hours in Global Agenda (I even have personalized Massively armor! :) ) and have tried, bought, returned and disliked many of the games from the genre.

It's out of this exposure to the genre that I can make a lot of the calls that I did. Just because I am saying that the genre is...rough...doesn't mean that I hate it.

I will be the first to point out the problems with any genre. Especially considering how much exposure I have to some of them.

Beau

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 12:13AM Macabre 13 said

• 1 heart
@Beau Hindman

You have an odd way of expressing your opinion then, I guess...

My bad, it just sounded like a typical fantasy mmo junky trashing another FPS pseudo-mmo, which they wouldn't like by default no matter how good it might be...

Reading through the comments here, I'm not the only one who interpreted your article in such a manner, but regardless, my apologies.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 2:28PM Bhagpuss said

I really liked Minions of Mirth when I played it a few years back. Looking forward to seeing your take on it.

It's really amazing how long some of the less well-known MMOs have been around. I'm not sure how they justify the tag "Minions of Mirthâ„¢ is the top cult hit indie MMORPG in the world today" though. Is there a chart somewhere?

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 2:30PM Skyydragonn said

Not to dig on your article but your derision of FPS games is pretty evident in the article. A "typical FPS" game....is pretty overused here.. and holds about as much water as your opening statements regarding "everyone hates the skill system..."

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 3:03PM pcgneurotic said

@Skyydragonn

Agreed, he paints his FPS picture far too broadly, but his statements about the way in which excitable loudmouths tend to over-use collective pronouns is totally on the money. Read the forums for any game, in any genre, for 3 minutes, and you will have a handful of examples. It's just the way people are.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 3:24PM Ryn said

@pcgneurotic LOL "excitable loudmouths tend to over-use collective pronouns " Hilarious lol. But very true. I don't get the whole FPS thing, and do horribly in any game like that. Fallen Earth is pretty much a FPS with a little twist. I love everything about it except the combat, but then I figured I have to take the plunge sometime and learn because I think a lot of MMO games will go FPS in the future, or a hybrid thereof.

As for Crime Craft, if a new player with little skill and experience cant get past the tutorial, then the game has a definite problem on its hands and needs to address it. This will only drive new players away. I bet Beau isn't the only one that has gotten stuck at that point.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 3:25PM Slayblaze said

@Skyydragonn

I agree with you as a huge shooter fan myself I found myself feeling a bit insulted by the interjections of negativity towards FPS gaming in general, but it's obviously just his opinion. At least he came right out and said it instead of trying to pretend he was a fan of the genre. I agree with Beau in the fact that CrimeCraft is sure not a very good representative of what makes a good Shooter, it is certainly flawed although maybe not quite as badly as presented here.

Also CC really belongs in the sub-genre of Third Person Shooters which might seem only a subtle difference to the untrained eye, but it is a vastly different type of playstyle than a FPS. The problem with CrimeCraft is that when you compare the tightness of its core TPS gameplay it falls far short of other comparable TPS's such as S4 League for example or even H.A.V.E (MicroVolts in the West). I've been around CC since the CB (which was waaaay before APB btw) and gave it a fair shake and it just didn't hold up in the actual shooting gameplay department.

But I agree in general that Beau really seems to dislike shooters a little bit. Still commendable for at least giving it a try!

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:31PM Fakeassname said

@Skyydragonn

I like shooters but most of what he said was true, except for the stuff praising Global Agenda ... "everyone" hates that game and thinks it's bland, overhyped, and fundamentally offers nothing that "everyone" couldn't get from another UE3 based shooter ... so that part was way off.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:21PM Kaoy said

Please, please, please, for the love of the gods man, let us know what realm you are joining on your twitter or something. I am actually quite inclined to hop in and try it with you, since this has been on my 'maybe' list for a couple years now.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:31PM Kaoy said

@Kaoy Just to clarify, I am referring to Minions of Mirth.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 12:35PM Beau Hindman said

@Kaoy It looks like I am on the free server, my characters name is BeauHind. I am a hafling.

Unfortunately many of these games either do not provide me with decent information or I do not quite know which server I will be playing on right away. Also, sometimes it changes if I roll something that literally does not work for me. But yeh, watching my Twitter is the because generally I announce it on there.

Beau

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:37PM Darkmoone said

I'm not sure who this writer is but he doesn't seem well informed. APB is NOT like CrimeCraft. CrimeCraft is a FPS with a lobby that's it. APB was vastly different and superior. While the theme was the same that's where it stops as far as comparison goes.

Considering this writer didn't make it out the tutorial and felt compelled a need to recommend this game to people is laughable.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:53PM alucard3000 said

@Darkmoone lol APB is still a game with a lobby-just you get to drive around in it with very short matches which you cant even pick what types you want to play based on the kind you enjoy.Far from superior and the driving and customization are the only thing that APB has going for it.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:40PM Utakata said

The irony is in the history of this game. Where many here poo-poo'd this game to fail, it was APB that imploded not CrimeCraft, which is still plugging along. /shrug