Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:13PM Saker said

I just don't find the rifts enjoyable. I was online during this thing it just seems like major popping of npc mobs all over and that's about it, ok you're supposed to defend different things, etc, but I just haven't been able to see what the big deal is. Ironically other then the rifts I think the games ok, but I just don't care for the rifts at all. I ended up signing off during this as the region I was in was, the map was just covered in rifts and spawns of the events, I couldn't do any organized questing - it was just chaos. (constant gold-farming adverts, also very annoying) For those who enjoy it, more power to them.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 6:34AM Pitt said

I didn't have any server connection problems playing from australia on the most populated server Wolfsbane.

Yeah the event was a bit anti-climatic, but who cares? they gave everyone the reward, and they learnt a bit about hosting the world events in the process.

Too many trolls and whiners need to htfu

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:13PM Yog said

This is actually one of the reasons why I never bought the game after the closed beta. The only truly dynamic part of the game are these big events (rifts and invasions are simply random static events) but the way they were implemented is just horrible because you either have too many or too few people doing it so there's either no challenge or no chance.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:15PM MtthwRddl said

How many other million account plus games has Trion produced?

This isn't Sony, NCSoft, or Mythic, this is a fairly new company, at least to the world of MMOs. So what if they messed up their first big event? One of the reasons why the event encountered so many problems is because there were a ton of subscribers and a ton of people playing with the free trial. Even with RIFT's 10+ NA servers. I think that makes a bigger point than Trion's mistakes.

The basic design of RIFT thinks outside the box with the class/soul system, and I wouldn't put it past Trion to think outside the box and really improve future events and make sure these problems don't happen, at least not as badly.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:36PM DancingCow said

@MtthwRddl

I agree.

This one sounds like a debacle but they're trying something new. There may be teething problems on the way to getting it right but when they do, they'll have added something very worthwhile to the genre.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 1:57AM Furdinand said

@MtthwRddl It's not like the people are MMO rookies though, many of them worked at the companies you mention. I don't think the mess up is due to a lack of experience, I think it is due to the alchemical nature of MMOs. You make a racing game, players are going to drive around a track. You make an MMO, you don't know what aspects players are going to latch onto and which ones they will ignore. MMO's are such a moving target it is inevitable that mistakes will be made. The important thing is how they address them.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 3:20AM DancingCow said

@Furdinand

I agree, and I think WoW's rocky launch is a good example.

The server crashes were nigh constant. But Blizzard responded really well with good communication and fair compensation for players.

Just as TRION seem to be doing now.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:16PM Averice said

I found that the event was surprisingly short. I assumed that the 2nd phase of the event would last at least a week, and that maybe we would get different bosses during the large invasions, or that there would be a rarer kind of invasion on a count down timer for every 4-6 hours.

I was in game for it, though mostly by luck, and the event itself was fun. Gathering into a really large group and taking down bosses that would have been hard to do without so many people online.

The rewards did feel kind of non existent though. Even for those of us who participated. Besides the achievements and a good boost in event currency I don't know of anyone getting anything exceptionally special.

Another problem I hope they fix, the limit on raid size. 40 people is a decent number, but when you have 80+ people killing a boss, it feels strange not knowing if you're gaining anything for it because your group didn't tag the boss. It would have been nice if a few epic items had dropped after each event, and everyone who had participated could have rolled on them. Just BoE epics that you might get from normal fighting.

Along with my last point, during world events, they shouldn't allow private groups to tag bosses and reap the rewards. They should have a separate system set up where grouping becomes proximity based not opt-in based. Or maybe it already works that way and the raid scheme is just a visual limitation, idk.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:18PM Averice said

@Averice I'd like to add. Compared to other one off world events I've participated in, mainly in WoW, it all actually went a lot smoother for me.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:20PM Nenene said

Half the servers were totally full today. I was trying it out on my friend's account.

I guess it was more popular than they expected?

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:24PM PaperSpeaks said

What can I say?
It was a lackluster event that was built up too much.
I personally thought they would have delivered, given the extra time they had permitted themselves with the NA Phase 2 and 3... But no, it was really too quick, kicking people out prior to the event then the queue....
I felt guilty when half the guild members were in vent questioning what the hell was going on.
Then half the guildies missed the achievement, and boom, it's over.
Yeah, a very strange way to design this event... Having it's event outside of prime time (given that it's the weekend I guess this is somewhat forgivable), the collision with the trial members, the queue.
I just don't know... Just very bitter about this.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:27PM donweel said

I was trying to sneak in to confront the hag and there was a server announcement for the event and about the time it took to wonder about how I was going to get there it was gone. Cashed in my stones for the trinket. Better luck next time i suppose.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:32PM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
As flawed as the game is, I hope Trion can do something to prevent the impending mass exodus of the game, there is a lot of potential there and this is a very critical time for the company.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 11:17PM Dunraven said

@Puremallace Yes impending exodus just look at it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJiqDBT4xE I mean that was horrible.......this is the game folks are raving about? No frills tank and spanks with really really atrocious dialog? How can anyone in their right mind this this is worth 14.99 a month? The sad thing is a lot of the game does have promise but the need to hire a Raid developer, and writer who actually you know can write.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 12:50AM Sean D said

@Puremallace

What end-game raid content? The grind for gear with larger numbers? Is that what 'end-game raid content' means?

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 1:44AM Baromega said

@Puremallace Umm...

Isn't EA/Bioware handling SWTOR?

And NCSoft knows that when they let ANet completely handle GW1, it became successful, and ANet has assured us that all NCSoft has said is "make the game, we'll back you all the way".

And if Blizzard make a new MMO for this gen, I'd play it in the heart beat. Who has more fame, experience and money than Blizz? They can literally make the best MMO money can buy.

Honestly man, you're just being silly with your company loyalties and distrust.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 2:36AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Puremallace

Yes, exodus. I got in and participated in phases 2 and 3. But while I love the game, I'd have dropped it like a hot rock if I couldn't have gotten in.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 2:38AM C Rose said

@Puremallace

Would you please just SHUT UP???

Every time there's a Rift article you're on here stirring the pot and trying to pick a fight. And quit with all the GW2/SWTOR bull$*&% too!

I mean no one even mentioned them in these comments except for YOU.
I played the trial again this weekend and gave it a real go around for a few hours. The game is not for me. It's not that innovative like you'd have everyone believe. And it's not that well crafted or stable either.

Hey I'm wishing Trion good luck with their game and whoever likes it then I'm happy for you and I hope you get tons of fun from it. But Puremallace you're an annoying instigator who jumps on anyone for having an opinion of this game that differs from you're own. You also are viewing this game through rose-colored glasses and it's ONLY because of you're clear disdain for other games and not for the quality of Rift itself. Grow up and more importantly SHUT UP!

I'm looking forward to your two favorite "targets" (GW2/SWTOR) because I LOVE the companies behind them, BUT I don't infect every other article's comments with my cynicism and hatred of the games I don't like.

Defend Rift if you really want to, but also let others share their valid opinions too.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 10:47AM Weiji said

@Puremallace The servers only had a queue because of the special event. If you look at them today you will find that no servers have a queue.

The game is not growing, sorry.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 2:31PM Baromega said

@Puremallace

Again, you're talking about games that are NOT ANet developed, and that's what saves GW and GW2. Yes, there is no denying that NCSoft has messed up in the past, but they kept their promise with not messing with ANet and GW1 turned out great. It is absolutely illogical and dumbfounded to believe they would suddenly choose to mess with them now that they're on a winning streak.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014