Posted: Apr 16th 2011 10:31PM Protoavis said

@(Unverified)

Part of the AU problem may stem from the price difference and the complete avoidance of answering why by anyone involved (ok there was a response but it didn't answer why, it'd skipped over the whole question being asked and basically said they'd add the separate AU pricing to the website). I know I personally found that whole thing dodgy so skipped out on buying all together and was previously considering lifetime.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 9:53AM Ekphrasis said

@Protoavis

Agree. The US/AU pricing disparity is disgusting - as is SOE's 'communication' on the issue. There were many threads asking the legitimate question of why AU players were being charged more for exactly the same service and they were all poorly moderated and subsequently locked. The only remaining unlocked thread (http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?&topic_id=19214) just quietly died as a result of most of the Australian players taking part in that discussion throwing up their hands in disgust and leaving at the 1 month mark. (You lose posting privileges without an active account).

My friends and I decided to leave at the end of the free month - mostly as a result of the pricing disparity. At the time of posting this, AUD$19.95 = $21.07 USD. (1 AUD = 1.05614 USD - XE.com) - which begs the question, what is the extra ~$6 USD from Australian subscribers going towards? Local servers in Australia? Nope - just lining SOE's greedy pockets...

As for the game itself? The open zones are graphically stunning - which should be expected given the development time/resources and date of release when compared to the other older superhero MMOs. Additionally, some of the story arcs and mechanics are very well thought out and implemented (travel powers are done very well in my opinion). However, the amount of content (as opposed to the quality) was barely adequate. I also felt the combat, like the character/costume creation, to be rather restrictive. While it was a novelty initially, frantically clicking to trigger combos that would boost my 'super bar' just got on my nerves after a while. The other big turnoff for me was the end-game gear grind. It wasn't even 'disguised' - from memory, when I hit level cap I think one of the NPC's in Watchtower explained raiding to acquire top tier gear. It really did feel just 'bleh.'

All that said - I'd still be happy to go back to DCUO and support the game's continued development - but only at the price that US subscribers have to pay - not at the seemingly arbitrarily determined Australian price. As it stands however, DCUO is barely worth $14.95 USD - let alone the ~$21.07 USD they extort from Australian subscribers.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 9:47PM PrimeSynergy said

I hate to ask for handouts, but anyone out there have a buddy key they feel like tossing my way? It would be much appreciated.

I'm in the mood for a super hero MMO. I tried City of Heroes this weekend and well...it's a bit janky for my taste. To their credit, it looks fine if you crank up everything to max, but a few things still look a bit fugly up close. Plus...well...it just doesn't play all that well. I played Champions for a while too, but I got tired of Cryptic trying to double dip. And it didn't play too well either.

In any case, reply if you can spare one. If not, I understand. Thanks!

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 11:54PM Paradigm68 said

Whats the point of making a persistent online game world if the intent is not for people to inhabit it for the length of time to form a community?

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 1:57PM SFGamer69 said

@Paradigm68

Exactly my thoughts. i subscribed to both PC and PS3, and I was a bit taken back when after hitting level 30, the game simply stops using the fully detailed cities that you were leveling through. Other than the two (poorly) implemented PvP events, you spend the majority of your time in instances. No open world PvP of any value with any type of rewards for participating.
the game, although beautifully rendered, missed on many areas, and that simply falls to the fact the Mr. Cao didn't do his homework. By that, i mean there is a book for anyone interested, Developing Online Games, that talks about the ins and outs of creating these things, and spells out very clearly all of the issues this game has, and the reason it has them. From the constant breaking of things with each attempt to fix something, to the lack of any meaningful player retention mechanics. The game had, and perhaps still has a great amount of potential, but I don't believe it will ever live up to that potential while Mr. Cao is directing it.
Just to read some of his interviews, he just doesn't get it, and likely never will, and this game will suffer for it.

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 4:38PM pixelmonkey said

I heard Logictec is making a special keyboard for the awesome combat this game has - it only has 2 huge pillow sized buttons where you can smash your head against to win.. or if you are gifted enough face roll to victory...

Sorry this game was a huge let down - I like what they tried to do with more story in their game than the other superhero MMOs , but this game fails on so many levels.

They really need someone new driving the future of this game - or go F2P, there is no way it has the content or is worth premium MMO sub fees.

For those who are actually sticking it out in this game and having fun... that's great and I wish you well.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 9:44AM blackGeisha said

I have to ask why one would pay $50 + $15/month for a game that's designed for 5-10/hr week players when there are other games out there with more depth at the same price?

It has to be the IP.

FTR, I played DCUO for a couple months. I ultimately dropped my subscription because, with my odd working schedule, even in a league (or two) I had problems hooking up with people in my league for raids, let alone the problem of finding people for PUGing raids. I just had the hardest time justifying a sub when I was getting frustrated trying to find players to do something and then having to deal with the monotony of grinding away at the same boring content.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM