Posted: Apr 15th 2011 10:53PM Palebane said

Great article. I've always thought FE had such great potential as a faction-based world PvP game. This article definitely makes me want to try it out.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 3:33PM Hookan91 said

@Palebane You should try it. I'm on my 2nd week of the trial and loving FE.

In 1-2 weeks i should by the game. BTW, if you buy the game, you get a 2nd copy free with also 30 days of game time.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 1:42AM 2DruNk2FraG said

I don't see why wearing the best gear is against RP. I mean you want to survive, right? FE is about making the best of a destroyed world, so why would you be concerned too much about style.

PVP and RP are not mutually exclusive. In fact RP can provide some insane rationalizations to PVP.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 5:51AM Space Cobra said

@2DruNk2FraG

Actually, it is more about the way a character looks than what equipment you wear. If you are into looking like a soldier (that may or may not have the same armor-graphic as every other NPC or PC soldier), then go for it.

It isn't a hard/fast rule. With some MMOs (like DCUO), this can be alleviated with an appearance Tab, so you can wear whatever you like and still get your armor bonus.

It's just what you want your character to look like, cool or crazy. If there is a cool wide-brimmed hat in game or you want to look like a cowboy/Clint Eastwood, then you may switch to that clothing set for the "look", or at least, the hat. While troublesome, in older MMOs, if there was a hat or piece of armor I liked the look (or color) of, I'd keep it in my backpack and wear it during non-combat times. When in combat, I'd try to switch it out quickly for my more armored version (and look like everyone else).

It is more about style than substance. There is a middle ground but how you come up to it or what makes you comfortable is up to you. Do you swap gear like I suggest or just wear the same stuff like everyone else? Do you (or can you) dye the clothes a different color? All black or all purple with gold highlights?

It's basically getting a "look" that you are comfortable with and having people recognize you based solely on your individual look. "There's the bad-assed cowboy hunter." or "That must be Joe, the crazy guy in green. He is good for a laugh."

RPers are not the only one that care about this, even people who just PvP and are OOC all the time can find benefit and satisfaction with a look that is like no one else in the game (or close to this ideal). Sure, there are hovering names, but nothing quite like having people ask you, "Where did you get that cool looking hat?", even if you are OOC chatting.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 3:22AM (Unverified) said

It was actually pretty sweet seeing all of the KAOS and Saints folks in New Flagstaff. I don't think I saw a single member of the clan who shall remain nameless.

I think it'd be awesome if KAOS wanted to make a weekly stop in New Flagstaff, the enforcers seriously need something to do.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 4:13PM Rowdy said

Very nice article, as always.

I've always loved PvP, this is my first game RPing in, and to me RPvP is the best of both worlds. Since I run the Wednesday show, I prefer to remain neutral because I have to alt tab out of the game to make announcements and keep the music and requests going, therefore I go purely for fashion.

Otherwise, it depends on who you're going up against, if you're outnumbered, etc. When RPing law enforcement, I try to wear appropriate attire that is higher end gear and a decent trinket item. I get a little annoyed when I'm in carefully planned RP gear and whomever I go to fight wants to instantly switch into their best gear for the kill. In real RPvP it isn't so much about the kill, its about the random encounter and spicing it up.

Fun times last week, it was great seeing you all out there trying something new.