Posted: Apr 15th 2011 7:11PM Dunraven said

I had some American friends tell me that Pax east had a very hostile vibe to it, they saw people smack talking each other on the floor...a few were even asked to leave booths or escorted off the premises.

If that is factual what is up with gamers lately? I hope Pax prime is more serene

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 8:18PM ScottishViking said

@Dunraven

I didn't go to this year's PAX East, but I went last year, and there was nothing like that.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 7:29PM Space Cobra said

I don't see ANY schedule listed for Pax Prime...

...have these things gotten so popular that they now sell out without knowing what is scheduled or who will appear?

I mean, I doubt I'll show up and see dirt farming seminars, but it would be nice to know who is showing up and what the schedule is before I register.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 11:34PM UrkenInvader said

@Space Cobra They will sell out of three day passes well before a schedule is released in all likelihood. Last summer was my first PAX and I will be going back.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 8:27PM Dunraven said

Yeah I was a bit surprised when my friends talked about that, but they really aren't prone to exaggeration…dunno

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 6:07AM Space Cobra said

@UrkenInvander

Well, that's a bit sad. I mean, I understand it and all, but I just like to know things like, "will Shatner be there?" or "Will this certain studio be there?" or "Will they have a booth to playtest their game?" or whatnot. That way, I'd be more happy to plan ahead of time and gladly part with my money and not "gamble". Some of these events on some years can be real turkeys, depending on the economy and what is happening in the game industry (or not happening).

I've seen the other side of hype, even a long running event turning bad. This almost gives them a "blank check" to add or not add anything to an event. Even tentative events listed would be welcomed.

@Dunraven

I guess this could apply to my earlier comments. Sometimes, these events are not all that could be and at others, you don't get lucky if you do not mingle. But it's hard to say without any details of what your friends went through. I've been to great cons and I've been to boring/mediocre cons. I've been to small cons that turned out fun, and big cons that were duds. While the people around you and how they treat (or not treat) you is a big factor, it is also how you decide to enjoy yourself. Sometimes, being a stranger and new kinda makes you follow the trend and that may not be the best to enjoy an event. Sometimes you have to make your own path and find out about parties and such. And sometimes, one can have the best time OUTSIDE these events and enjoying the city.

It's easy to say, "Events are what you make of them or how you perceive them," and while that's true, sometimes the mood/people around you can be so bad, that you can't enjoy it. Just try to make the best of a bad situation is my philosophy, even if it can be hard to do or you have to go outside that situation and just turn it into sight-seeing around the city.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 6:30AM Wurm said

At PAX Prime you will be able to see what already have been shown one week before at Gamescom :)

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays