Posted: Apr 15th 2011 2:32PM Vorender said

Ya, I'm one of those million. Riddle me this: How many of those million accounts have logged more than an hour of in-game time?

Lemme know, K? Thanks.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 5:56PM sortius said

@Vorender Not mine.

They sent out an email saying they've revamped the graphics, which to me is a sign that they released way too early.

I might give it another go if it wasn't for the fact it is so utterly boring. How they've done this with a space combat game I'm not sure. They've actually trumped Eve for boredom (ex-cap pilot here).

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 2:34PM (Unverified) said

Since this game is still in beta will all the characters get wiped when it really goes live?

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 3:17PM DemonXaphan said

@(Unverified)
Surprisingly they haven't said if they will.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 2:52PM PaperSpeaks said

Leave the TV show to remain in our memories untainted.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 3:18PM DemonXaphan said

@PaperSpeaks
It's not a bad game for beta.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 3:21PM relgoth said

And i thought rift had a big hype machine. This guys get something out there like everyday lol.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 3:29PM Russell Clarke said

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 5:06PM hansh0tfirst said

They didn't "revamp" the graphics. They simply updated to a newer edition of the Unity engine that has better performance and improved lighting. The game looked great before (at least on par with Star Trek Online), and now looks even better (almost-but not quite-as good as Eve Online).

At first I nearly gave up on BGO as the tutorials are horribad, and I didn't understand the game's focus. Once I got past that and realized it's a pvp-centric sandbox, I started having fun. If you're looking for a pve, quest-driven themepark, look elsewhere.

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 5:37PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the update on BSGO. I wanted to keep an eye on this game but it fell off the radar. I played through the tutorial and first mission. Fortunateness the game is not compatible with Chrome, but it seems good with IE.

@Hansh0tfirst. Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I'll need to get further into the game before it feels more like pvp. Right now it seems like it could be a decent pve game.

Posted: Apr 17th 2011 5:49AM hansh0tfirst said

@(Unverified) I play BGO exclusively on Chrome, and from those I've spoken with (including moderators of the game) it's the most widely recommended browser to use. Some other alternatives are Opera, Firefox, and Camino (for Macintosh). I've heard nothing but horror stories from those attempting to run it under Internet Explorer, but if you're the exception more power to you. :)

Some tips for newbies:

1. The second tutorial (it's mining-oriented) can be excessively frustrating. The hostile NPCs within are quite challenging (unreasonably so IMO, particularlly for a beginner) and if you're defeated, there's a very strong possibility you'll have to quit/exit the game in order to respawn. I recommend skipping it.

2. Press (and hold down) your keyboard's space bar while inside an outpost to run.

3. Buy at least one mining cannon as soon as possible, even if mining doesn't interest you. Do this BEFORE you buy ANYTHING else. The reason being is it can be quite easy for a new player to blow through all your ammo and fuel without realizing it. A mining cannon (which does not require ammunition) is your ticket out of such situations.

4. Bear in mind this is a PvP-centric game (like Eve Online). The first three immediate systems around your "home base" are PvE only, but everything else is essentially open PvP. Don't let that intimidate you (the death penalty is fairly mild; you simply have to pay repair costs), just be sure to keep your eyes open when leaving the introductory systems.

5. Try the different camera options to see what best suits your playstyle; some might make piloting your ship (especially in a dogfight) easier than others. I prefer using the "look at target" option, placing my pointer near the center of the screen while holding down the right mouse button to steer, and using WASD when needed for sharp climbs, dives and turns.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 8:05AM Lorell said

I wanted to check this game, but I've registered my account and they never sent me any registration e-mail to finish registration... Tried several times, and no my gmail didn't put theirs emails in "spam" :S

Posted: Apr 19th 2011 6:14PM (Unverified) said

Ron Moore and David Eick are HACKS! BTW, has anyone gotten to the level where Mrs. Ron covers you with MEAT SAUCE and attempts to eat you?