Posted: Apr 14th 2011 3:07PM Halldorr said

I really miss housing from my UO days. I was really looking forward to Vanguard and what it offered but my computer just died in beta playing it. So I have been waiting and waiting but WoW doesn't seem like it will ever add them...or the dance studio! ;)

I like housing as it gives players something else to do. As for community, how often do you randomly talk to people in games most days and most of them are without housing. I'm not talking about trade chat trolling either...

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 9:21PM Bluefyre said

@Halldorr I know that I was certainly more willing to communicate with the in game community in games that offered social atmospheres. The best times I ever had was hanging out in night clubs in Anarchy Online, listening to Gridstream, and chatting it up with people.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 11:09PM Halldorr said

@Bluefyre

Which ones in particular? (am currently looking around for good communities). I used to hang out around my house in UO and chat with people nearby :-P

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 3:15PM Saker said

Love player housing, it has so much potential. Same with guild housing. In EQ2 it was very good.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 3:39PM jeremys said

About a full year of expansions, level raises and tons of decorations are all gone with my old Runes of Magic guild who started switching leadership. It got shuffled around to someone who sold their character account and the buyer just disappeared.

The leadership controls were reset to the strictest settings so no one has access to guild vault, decorating, opening/closing gate or anything.

It's a ton of time and money invested in that guild castle that's all gone because the leader didn't pass leadership to someone else.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 4:35PM Triskelion said

Wait a minute...what does this have to do with Rift? The staff at Massively made a blood oath with Trion to only post pro-Rift related stories, someone is going to pay for this!

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 4:52PM Interitus said

Hah! 5 stars for Jurassic Park quote

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 5:49PM Lenn said

@Interitus The Lost World, actually.

/pedantry off

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 8:01PM Interitus said

@Lenn

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 7:43PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

As a guild leader of a small guild on EQ2 (Level 58, 250 accounts, started 11/12/10) I know all to well some of the problems described here and also some of the benefits.

I think that socialisation is less of an issue than claimed. Most people still run [1-9] world chat and that is where they talk to people outside the guild. I don't call standing at the broker in Gorowyn with a number of people around you silent silently staring at the list of items on the broker socialisation in any sense of the word.

Agreed that there is nothing like the old dirt hill in WoW between the bank and the AH where people would just stand while they waited for their next dungeon to pop, but I think that comes down to game mechanics. Then again, is a dirt hill full of silent avatars waiting for something to happen socialising?

Creating the guild, decorating the hall, leveling it, working towards the next amenity are a huge bonding experience for the guild members, especially if you tie lower levels of progression to status. It gives people things to work for. To make the guild more cohesive, to make people feel like they belong, that this hall is a result of their work is far better than standing motionless amongst of a sea of silent toons.

Likewise our guild bank 1 which has close to 600 plat towards our T3 GH as soon as we hit level 70 is a huge motivating force for my guildies. Weirdly I am seeing that having those guild funds on public display but not withdrawable from has a great weeding out effect for new members who would cause problems later. Temptation can really help weed out the undesirables long before you get to distributing loot.

Having all of the NPCs you need to clean your bags, repair, buy supplies, turn fertiliser into shinies and having portals to docks, spires and druid rings makes the hall a central - and very busy - hub. If you need a group it is very easy to ask in guild chat then meet in the hall to set off together.

Decorating has been hard work for sure, I found that setting clear criteria on what you had to do in order to get trustee rights made this much easier. I have a few capped craftmen and women now who are trusted enough to have that level of control, we work as a team ultimately myself having the final say but generally letting them brainstorm on their own. I think the hardest part of decorating was learning to say "no" when a starry eyed initiate hands you a level 5 tin sconce and asks if they can put it in the guild hall.

Housing and guild housing are amongst the best features of EQ2, the guild-hall ties the guild together as you work for it and it creates an impressive show of every single member's efforts so far with a dream of what is to come.

I have been in a number of guilds that failed so when I created my own I have built in succession so that I leave or get run over by a bus the guild will continue along the path it is going down now. However even without that I would point out that in EQ2 if a guild leader abandons the game for 90 days a ticket can be lodged with the GMs to have an election held. The person with the most votes after a period of time is then automatically elevated to guild leader. Not as desirable as a succession plan but at least recognising that the guild must go on.

I always found it funny when I played other games that hard-core raiders would be up in arms about guild halls, opposing them so strongly lest they take developers away from the latest raid. Yet on EQ2 the GH, especially for a raiding guild, becomes a form of meta-progression with a real benefit to members and instilling a modicum of guild pride to boot.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 10:05PM mysecretid said

EverQuest II had my favorite in-game housing out of all the MMORPG games I've played this far.

You're right that housing can take away from one's sense of social interaction ... but that sense of actually being a resident of a favored fictional world more than compensated, in my opinion.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 10:08AM Starseeker said

One thing I loved about AOC, which there were very few things. Was the guild hall.

Basically once you got enough cash and levels, you could go to an instanced zone (not like an instanced building like everquest 2) but an entire zone that had 3 plots for guild halls. There were a couple different styles of instances. You would share your instance with 3 other guilds...there were names/monsters, resources, and quests in the instance.

But the thing was like vanguard you had to craft it...so get the wood, the rocks, the hide etc, you built it from the ground up. Once it was up (if you were on a pvp server) it could be invaded and destroyed, but we were on a pve server. As your guild hall aged, the more it got populated with npcs...guards and peasents running around, just people so it looked populated...amenities there wasn't a whole lot...a broker, banker, a few vendors and the main hall would give you buffs.

I quit that game 3 months after launch (my guild had just got the guild hall put together), I went back nearly 2 years later while i was waiting for Rift, to find our guild hall was now a bustling city, waiting for its masters to return...it was kinda nice.

Posted: May 16th 2011 7:42PM hiyaman said

I had a lvl 7 guild in megaten there were no guild halls in megaten though since we were based in me starter city we kinda just took over the newbie dungeon room that you enter to do the 1st main quest dungeon type thing since no 1 was ever in there for more than like 5 secs except us when we had meetings (i think it was the security entrance area) we were very popular when we were around we were a lowbie help guild and we'd do weekly cash shop giveaways (just cheap cash shop iteams) to help lowbies though most of our guild were lowbies my sister recruited and helped useing my money and I left for a few months leaveing 6 subs incharge and 1 of those subs and his brother kicked half the guild and quit i came back to see the guild lvled down to lvl 4 and had no members so i disbanded it 10 mins later my sister got a pm from several of the old members saying they wanted to rejoin the guild but sadly at that point she replied she joined a new guild and i disbanded the guild they seemed so disapointed tht i felt bad about it shortly after a GS(volunteer gm type player) in a differand game made by that site told us we were breaking the tos by account shareing though i talked to the gm and the way we were doing it wasnt agenst the tos so the gs's got mad and harassed my 13 yr sister and i till she said something to get them to leave her alone not knowing it was agenst the tos and i filed a ban apeal and they made some bogus excuse to keep us banned cuz i guess we were makeing them look bad cuz i had to report the gs's like 12x for countless insults and harassment and nothing was done even when i gave multi screen shots after loseing a guild and being harassed by a volunteer member of authority and banned for very lil reason at all I'm sworn off that sites games for ever

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM