Posted: Apr 14th 2011 5:54PM SocksForYou said

@Triskelion What are you guys expecting?

For one, Massively doesn't do overly critical pieces on games, at least not with any regularity. I'll leave it at that without going on a rant myself.

The other thing is, Rift hasn't failed. It's been a critical and commercial success (at least to this point on the commercial part).

Most of the people foaming at the mouth in anger over Rift are upset at the way it was marketed, or they're angry that this latest fantasy MMO didn't cure their MMO burnout. Or maybe they're upset about X changes to their character's class, or the lack of a revolutionary endgame (let me know when you find an MMO that has one).

So really, what are you expecting? There's no conspiracy to unearth, no injustices to expose for all the MMO world to see. It's a successful game liked by many people, and not liked by many people.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 5:57PM SocksForYou said

@SocksForYou Hmm, my comment was in response to a remark by Trisk about the (perceived) lack of substance in articles about Rift. Don't know where it went, but that's what I was addressing.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 4:03PM Gloon said

I've been so preoccupied with Death rifts the past couple weeks, I almost forgot what a fire rift looked like!

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 4:29PM Triskelion said

• 1 heart
The first Rift you see is pretty cool, then after a while they're just meh, seeing that the game is centered around these upside down geysers I would expect more from them then just Warhammer PQs. And after chasing them around a zone for an hour I was ready to slit my wrists.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 7:38PM Deadalon said

@Triskelion

I would like to point out that Devs can be putting new things - new effects into the game instead of Rifts. This is a dynamic system - something that PQs in WAR were not.

The potentials for this system is great. We will probably see a new map that has diffrent events for high levels. Im enjoying RIFT very much atm - runnin expert dungeons - rifting abit and getting ready for raiding.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 6:55PM (Unverified) said

So what if it's a retread? Nobody wants a brand new experience, or we'd all be playing A Tale in the Desert or something.

Reading between the lines of 'criticism', it's pretty clear that the complainers/trolls are just worried that Rift's popularity is going to steal thunder from GW2 or ToR. Both of which are, of course, utter retreads as well.

(For me, the difference is that I've got no interest in those games and am quite enjoying Rift. )

In any case, I really wish you naysayers would go find a different hobby. Coming in here and harshing the buzz of people who enjoy the game doesn't serve any useful purpose. Remember, this isn't a game criticism site -- even if what you were offering was criticism.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 7:43PM Deadalon said

@(Unverified)

I dont think RIFT is gonna prevent ppl from tryint out GW2 and SWTOR. What I do know tho is that there are ppl that will be going back to RIFT - instead of going back to WOW:

WOW is now game for kids. It has not evolved at all in Cataclysm and all basics systems of the game are stagnant - repeatable junk from TBC days. And the focus from BLizzard is to put in Store mounts.

Rift has got the same basic gaming elements as WOW - but with more mature settings - more customization and very open and versatile soul system. If Trion gets this right then RIFT has all the potentials to overtake WOW in terms of actual gaming quality in the next 1-2 years. OFC - that is based on alot of hard work from Trion devs - but they are on the right track for sure.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 8:15PM (Unverified) said

@Deadalon

Once all the shine of a new gameworld and theme wears off, Rift is nothing different than WOW and offers little to entice people away from their old MMOs. The rifts are nothing more than daily'esque quests set in random locations on the map. The biggest challenge with the dungeons is getting a group together prepared to slog through them again (no different than wow before dungeon finder).

Appart from graphic styles the only real difference I see between WOW and Rift is the PVP. And in my opinion that's why people will return to WOW over games like Rift.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 4:46AM Gaugamela said

@(Unverified)

Then its good that everyone has their own opinions.
And you are quite thick if you canºt see the difference between the Rift system and PQs.

For one you didnºt have giant PQs that occupied an entire area.
Nor could you create events like the River of Souls events.
Even in the most basic Rifts you see variations on the usual kill mobs untill next phase...

For example thereºs a death rift where you have to atract werewolves to a specific light to be able to kill them, or another one where you need to stop a bunch of souls from charging a skeletal dragon.

If you like WoW so much then worry about the worrying decline it has been seeing in population since Cataclysm. That is more than a sign that the game isnºt healthy.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge