Posted: Apr 14th 2011 8:51PM ActiveNick said

I got the lifetime sub. And what did I do with the $60 I saved? I spent it on 5000 Atari points to buy a bunch of things on the C-Store. That's basically $320 for the Deluxe Edition (bought on Steam last year), a lifetime sub, a lot of cool perks from both and a boatload of cool things from the C-Store. I'm set for a while and the lifetime sub will pay for itself in 18 months.

Thinking back over the 36 months I've played WoW (and still do), add 36 months of play, 3 minipets, the Starpony, base game, 3 expansions, and a bunch of loot cards, I've spent well over $1000.

Thanks Cryptic, despite all the negative posts online, I'm having fun in Star Trek Online :)

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 9:54PM ActiveNick said

My point about the negative comments online is simple: Just try the game for yourself, there is a free trial, and build your own opinion. Sure, it may not be perfect, no MMO or game is, but it's damn fun... And it's Star Trek!

Shameless plug: If you wanna try it, hit me on Twitter (same handle), and I'll refer you :)

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 11:51PM Ryn said

@ActiveNick LOL glad you are enjoying your time in STO! I am too, and like you, my account is Lifetime and the game continues to get better and better.

See you in game!

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 12:34AM ActiveNick said

Larry, quick FYI, you should change that post picture. It turns out that *everything* is 20% on the C-Store for STO... well, everything except the Bajoran uniforms you have pictured here, lol! :)

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 12:56AM Anatidae said

If the Cryptic sales were not so common, I'd feel almost impressed.

As it is, if you don't buy today they will be on sale again tomorrow.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 6:16AM Zuljundwumn said

what's amazing it's that there's been some pretty hot debate on champs' forums for the past weeks, some leading to some actions by Cryptic, but that's all the coverage we get from the game... The C-store sale.
Good job.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 9:05AM Tazmanyak said

Well done.
Just hope it will help them realize they would gain more money if prices were 20% lower :p

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 12:20PM ActiveNick said

@Tazmanyak Yes, I think we would all love to see this stuff offered cheaper, but at least they have frequent sales we can take advantage of.

On one hand, I do think the balance of free in-game stuff vs C-Store stuff is off. There definitely need to be more things obtainable in game, like playable races, ships and *especially* uniforms.

However, let's put this in perspective:
- Most uniform packs cost 240 points, that's $3
- Pets are 120 points ($1.50)
- Some items are as cheap as 80 points ($1)
- The most expensive bundle is 1400 points, or $17.50, and you get a ship, bridge, weapon, 3 uniform packs, etc. great value)
- Most ships are 1200 points ($15) and the most expensive ones are 2000 points ($25)

Now compare that to the "micro-transactions" on the Blizzard Store. Granted, Blizzard offers a LOT of in-game stuff, very few items in store, but these items are expensive!

- Blizzard Minipets are $10, that would be 800 points on the C-Store if converted
- The Starpony mount is $25, which is the equivalent of 2000 C-Store points, and you get the top ship for that price in STO!
- And don't get me started on WoW TCG Loot cards which can run you at $5 to $200, or more on eBay or wootloot.

So while I still think Cryptic needs to put more stuff in game, and less in the C-Store, at least their prices are not too bad, and they often have sales.

And for the record, my main MMO is still WoW, but I'm also a STO lifetime subscriber and I bought all 4 mini pets and the Starpony for WoW. I love both games.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 11:52AM Dunraven said

Time to use those points that have been burning a hole in me pocket since Chrstmas.