Posted: Apr 13th 2011 9:41PM ScottishViking said

Skills? Rewards? Balance? My god, Turbine, how many times have these been fiddled with? GIVE US A NEW ZONE FOR GANDALF'S SAKE! FOR THE LOVE OF THE GREAT EYE GIVE US A NEW ZONE! Let the creeps out of the Moors, at least into another fenced-in area!

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:13PM Dread said

• 1 heart
@ScottishViking

They gave you a new zone a few months ago.

*sheesh*

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:17PM Liltawen said

@ScottishViking
They should clone part of Moria and some Mirkwood; or maybe just dedicate a whole server to it.It's been pretty same for a long time now.
Good luck on their Manifesto.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:21PM yeppers said

@Dread

I think he meant for PvMP.

@ScottishViking

Agreed. I haven't played LotRO since they went the F2P route. If they did something radical like add a PvMP server with free-roaming creeps I would resub with monthly $$ in a heartbeat.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:35PM ScottishViking said

@Dread @yeppers

Yes, PvMP. I've long believed that they should open up Creep-play to F2Pers -- that would get the numbers up hugely, drive traffic, and competition.

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 12:44PM Space Cobra said

@ScottishViking @yeppers @Dread

Oh god, yes!

I used to love Monster Play back in the day (before F2P) because it was so different from the usual. I just wished it was more fleshed out. I wouldn't mind being an armored spider (collecting items) but you can just give me invisible stat improvements. Still, even with limited leveling, it was still fun and different.

I haven't been back in years (and didn't know you couldn't gain access to it with F2P) but I'd be back if Monster Play was made better. Hell, I had the same hope with Skaven in Warhammer and the reviews weren't kind (so I never got to try it).

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 10:23PM Alph said

As much as I've come to expect from them after the last two years.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:11PM Dread said

I wish they would leave it as is.....if people want pvp there are plenty of MMO's that provide it and do a far better job, go spend your money there. Turbine can then put ALL their resources into areas that take the game forward.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:37PM ScottishViking said

@Dread

"Turbine can then put ALL their resources into areas that take the game forward."

Forward like...towards PvMP?

Why don't we rehash the tired old "LOTRO is a PvE game, not a PvP game" discussion! Because, like, all the people who've been playing PvMP are apparently delusional and have been hallucinating all this time.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:48PM JaySpeed said

They are adding a new PvMP zone when Isengard launches in the fall. They have some surprises planned for PvMP so hopefully they'll open it up to F2P but they gotta figure out how to balance the sides because most F2Per's are not lvl 65 so they're gonna go creep side. It won't be fun with 200 creeps vs 40 freeps. Hopefully they add PvMP skirmishes for instanced battlefield combat. A capture the flag mode would be cool in an 8v8 skirmish.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 12:09AM ScottishViking said

@JaySpeed

The new zone thing has yet to receive full confirmation. Everybody's going on a "hint" that was dropped, but which was later retracted.

Although I agree that the skirmish model would be amazing for PvMP.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 10:46AM Amaxe said

@JaySpeed

"They are adding a new PvMP zone when Isengard launches in the fall"

Rumor has it they'll be taking the Hobbits there.

;-)

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 1:28PM Kaoss said

@Amaxe
haha, win!

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 3:35PM shipwreck said

I'm all for opening up particular zones to Creeps, or even letting them take control of mobs in certain areas of the existing game world, but they'd have to launch new servers to do so.

I wouldn't mind a global PvMP server at all! It would just need some specific boundaries; like MPs can't leave Northern Bree-fields (or whatever) and go rampaging in Bree-town proper.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 7:43PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Not to knock the weak lore in LOTR, there is some, just not in keeping with the theme of good verse evil but the developers of this title are backpeddling now to regain subs.

Orion, arguably the worst developer i have ever had the chance to talk with is clueless and has pushed the game in their direction and vision, the result? An MTS game. The quote by orion, "LOTR will never be a pvp game" is coming back to bite them in the behind, tens of tens of thousands left because of orions choices, why this person still has a job is beyond me. Nothing personal, i just do not feel from what LOTR has degenerated into, an endless trial with microtransaction store, and with what orion has stated openly that while this dev is at the helm it will show success.

Orion has made grand statements such as "My station demands..." and "i am entitled too...." This type of thinking does not bode well for any titles future and people that think like this are a bad influence to a team and not an asset to any title.

Some very bright folks had some great ideas that were dismissed by orion all those years ago and now i read a third party was brought in to rig something up for the pvp portion of the title. Too little, much to late for LOTR, a small, dedicated fanbase will not save this title from shutting down in the future (my prediction), you have orion to thank for that. A title can only operate in the red for so long regardless of what they spin.

I look forward to an animated LOTR screensaver when they start tossing that idea around to try and bring in some type of cash, make sure its DX11 compatible.....(Grin).

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014