Posted: Apr 14th 2011 1:37AM (Unverified) said

Actually, I have a question. In regard to coverage of the MMO industry, do you guys (the writers) write articles and/or blogs based off of developer; publisher; company updates on websites? Are specific writers acquainted with specific companies and their games to provide coverage?

Lets say for example: writer A playtests alot of MMORPGS for Nexon, does that mean amongst only his articles he will be the one to write about them given that he keeps up with the new information?

Ive always noted that there are alot of Eve Online news blogs here, so can I assume that, actually I could probably verify that, a certain writer or writers are affiliated with that game and even though they do write articles covering various other games, they reliably and perhaps are expected to write articles concerning what is going on in the Eve Online Universe? (Or CCP in general)

I actually love* my close to but not actually MMORPGS, online games that are RPGS that ALOT of people play, but not in a consistent world. Such as Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter (series), League of Legends. I could imagine covering information regarding the possible upcoming games like these to console and PC from those specific companies. (That would be SEGA, Capcom, Riot Games, and games like them.)

I still need to re-install Vindictus and give it another go, but I just picked up a new game on console >

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 6:31AM ShawnSchuster said

@(Unverified)

The only time we have specific writers working with specific publishers or games is with weekly game columns. Those columnists cover one game, and that's it. Our news bloggers all need to have a working knowledge of most MMOs, or at least specialize in an aspect of MMOs they enjoy most, like Beau with free-to-play games. But even then, he's primarily a columnist.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 5:45AM Addfwyn said

I imagine somebody in Japan is probably a bit out of the proper time zone for the work, unfortunately :(

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 5:59AM pcgneurotic said

As I understand the time thing, EDT is New York time, so you can work backwards from there. Britain is X hours ahead of NY, and Europe is X+1 ahead. Japan, I know not.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 9:17AM Snichy said

"If we like your application, expect to hear from us by April 29th to schedule an interview!"

If someone from UK (or the EU) were to apply and get through to interview stage, how would that work? Do you have resources in UK so the interview would take place here at an arranged time and place, or would we be expected to fly to the USA to attend an interview?

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 11:19AM ShawnSchuster said

@Snichy All interviews would be conducted over AIM and/or Skype. The work environment itself is "virtual", as we have no central office to work from.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 11:10AM Jamie Dewhirst said

I'd imagine it'd be via telephone or Skype.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 8:31PM EgoPoisoning said

Applying for this was the most fun I've had in weeks!

Posted: Apr 15th 2011 11:56AM neilsonsound said

I'm curious, is the core mechanic of the news blogger to monitor other RSS feeds in relation to MMOs and crawl through the different forums in order to post any relevant news here?

I personally would have to locate a feed other than Massively for once.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 6:28PM Brianna Royce said

@neilsonsound That's a pretty good summary. The lead editors are usually doing the same thing, so we assign work as we find it too, in addition to the topics the bloggers dig up on their own and get approved. ;) We also kick around various features, interviews, sometimes the Soapbox, that kind of thing, on top of the regular newsy posts.

You should see our feed readers... they take on lives of their own!

Posted: Apr 16th 2011 3:20AM (Unverified) said

Well, I've submitted my application. Nervous isn't the word! Best of luck to all my fellow candidates, and an early well done to the future News Blogger.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 9:50AM (Unverified) said

I haf maid aplikation. I can haz English very nice.

Posted: Apr 18th 2011 2:19PM (Unverified) said

Cool! Good luck to everyone who applied.

Posted: Apr 20th 2011 6:33PM (Unverified) said

Excited now as well as nervous! The 29th is fast approaching! :D

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 6:54PM rockman0 said

I'm thinking of applying. I'm a college Sophomore right now.

Posted: Apr 21st 2011 6:59PM rockman0 said

I posted before, but now I want to ask a question. Do we have to know expert information of how MMO's work?

For instance, I suck at building characters with stats and whatnot. I also suck at choosing the right skills. I do best with games that require skill and timing instead of stats building and weapon farming. Would I still be a good candidate for the job?

Posted: Apr 22nd 2011 10:30AM Orvi said

I spoke at a short sort of length with Seraphina about joining Massively ages ago (I believe during the very first or second Massively Guild Wars event) but I just haven't taken the time to apply for the last couple of hiring phases. I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring and see what happens. Admittedly, grammar and spelling are two of the things that have utterly escaped my grasp after leaving public schooling, so I doubt anything will come of it, but we'll see! Either way, luck to everyone else applying.

Posted: Apr 25th 2011 10:51AM Pyrii said

Why is this still being advertised on the front page when it says "by April 24th". I would've applied if I saw that bit a little sooner XD

Posted: Apr 30th 2011 3:38PM pcgneurotic said

Is it all over bar the shouting yet? :D

The Stream Team: Adios, Elite: Dangerous