Posted: Apr 13th 2011 4:28PM crainey92 said

Now this is an opportunity, I'd love to apply but I've a feeling that there will be prejudice against european applicants as we don't fit into US timezones very well. If somebody from the UK, like myself, was to apply for this position I'm fairly confident that it would be a heck of a lot harder than it would be for somebody from the states.
Anyhows, like a said at the begining, this is a cracking opportunity and I suggest you people from the states snap it up and hope to see you writing for Massively soon :)

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 4:50PM (Unverified) said

@crainey92
12pm - 6pm EDT is 5pm - 11pm GMT. It's perfect for UK applicants!

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 5:03PM Skellybob said

@crainey92 Hi there. This is Adrian Bott, former Massively blogger (big up to the old crew!)

Just wanted to say I never had any problem with working from the UK, so don't let that put you off. :)

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 5:05PM ShawnSchuster said

@crainey92

"For this time slot and for possible event coverage purposes, European writers are encouraged to apply."

We would love to have more European writers, hence that line in the post. Apply away! :)

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 5:32PM tk421242 said

@ShawnSchuster

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 5:44PM Brendan Drain said

@crainey92 I'm in the UK and I've been writing for Massively for the past 3 years without any problems. Lately I've even expanded into doing some news writing (which is the type of position Massively is hiring for) and I can definitely say the timezone differences on that are absolutely fine. It basically just means you're working in the evenings and have to schedule yourself around that.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 5:51PM crainey92 said

@Brendan Drain "It basically just means you're working in the evenings and have to schedule yourself around that." Precisely, I'm not sure about this as I've never worked during the evening.

"Shawn only wants more European writers so there will be more instances of people using words like tele, theatre and of course bloody good time. "
I'm from Ireland (Or the North if you wanna be pickey about it, which I do), this can be a burden online as you might imagine but also good craic (see what I did there?).

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 6:26PM Brendan Drain said

@crainey92 Woah, I'm from Northern Ireland too. West Belfast, to be precise! The only time it's gotten in the way of my work was when I was on the podcast and I accidentally swore a few times because it's just part of the language. Don't worry, they bleeped it out :p.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 6:37PM crainey92 said

@Brendan Drain I remember listening to you on the podcast, although the others at Massively are also alot of fun I particularly enjoyed listening to you "Massively" due to your accent haha. This may sound weird but you sound alot like my ICT teacher a few years back who's into gaming, just the accent playing mind tricks though it was quite amusing.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 4:53PM foobessional said

This is a great opportunity. Application sent!

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 4:55PM Seffrid said

"12pm - 6pm EDT is 5pm - 11pm GMT. It's perfect for UK applicants!"

But I eat at 7pm!

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 5:03PM Ryn said

What I wouldn't GIVE to work with such a team as the one you have here at Massively! I have often thought, hey that would be really an awesome opportunity! I currently work during the times you need someone available, of course, as would be my luck. What a great way to break into the industry.

@Dblade, I saw your post and have thought some similar things, but Huffpo would have to be crazy to mess with Massively.

But I also think that everyone here on the Massively staff could reform to a BLOG of their own, and have a great success of it if things were to go south. Shawn has put together a great team, and with the forward thinking I have seen from him and his team here, I would not be surprised if there was a plan B. Either way, I think we will be well entertained in the future.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 7:23PM johnmatthais said

I went ahead and applied to the best of my ability. My semester got screwed up due to extenuating circumstances, so I've got plenty of time. It's also given me time to rethink where I am and what I want to do, and with not having a job currently and all, this offer couldn't have come at a better time, really.

Hopefully years of experience in dozens of MMOs help my case a bit. :D

...and if they don't, then hopefully some other nice offer will come along sometime soon. :D

...and if one doesn't, then I'll plan an attack on the Choose My Adventure guy. It's perfect! I already know where he'll be because I'm part of the group choosing his adventure! Muhahaha!

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 9:46PM Kaoss said

I'm Australian and would love to apply but that's a 3am to 9am time-slot for me :( Pretty much THE only hours I sleep.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 10:09PM MrsAngelD said

As an avid MMO player, and housewife who loves to write, I am quite interested in this position, I sent in application. Good luck to all whom have applied.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 10:56PM Rhoan01 said

Gee; that sounds exactly like my current job at a TV station, except I'd have a hell of a lot more fun writing about freemium MMOs than murders and elections.

Good luck to the applicants. Don't forget to spellcheck.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 12:18AM ImperialPanda said

Massively has some of the best writers who cover MMOs. The blog-style posts here are significantly better written than "articles" from most other sites. Prose is cleaner and actually progresses in a logical manner. Congratulations to the person who ends up joining the team.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 1:23AM (Unverified) said

I have played and play tested MANY MMORPGS on a low end machine, ive lived in an internet cafe as a NEET, with no job or home, playing MMO's. But I cant say that I could deliver articles about various MMOs, not because I cant write, because I most definitely can. However, I have never relied on writing as an income, and I cant risk letting go my day job to do so. Furthermore, I am too critical with certain developers based on their previous products that I have tried or reviewed. I find that writing for me is too passionate to be delivered in such a consistent way. Certainly I could provide works that range from the philosophical comparisons to the down right beta testing reviews, but it would all be specific to my own interests.

Thanks for the brief hope, Massively, but I couldn't expect to apply my love for MMOs in such a fashion so conditionally. Too bad you dont accept volunteer work, because I love freelance work. And I dont work 12pm to 4pm either :(

-Dave

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 1:37AM ImperialPanda said

@(Unverified)

I don't know if this is serious or a joke. But if it's a joke it's not bad, just needs to be more clear.

Job advertisements for gaming sites (e.g. ignvault, mmorpg) always bring out some hilarious posts.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 1:39AM (Unverified) said