Posted: Apr 13th 2011 9:53PM winterborn said

• 1 heart
This story is a preview of upcomming lore behind Rift and not currently in Rift. You can take all the time you want and you will not find it in game hence it is very much lacking.

After the fact lore from fansites must be the next gen content.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 10:54PM socialenemy2007 said

• Half a heart
@winterborn agreed 100%. Looks like Trion was hoping nobody would notice. Subscription worthy? Nope.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:18PM (Unverified) said

@winterborn

Actually, this story begins to tell us some stuff before we meet Kira and Uriel in game. I'm not sure if you actually play Rift, but Kira and Uriel have a storyline that takes place in game. You start a series of quests with them at level 21, and they continue all the way to level 50. It's interesting to see how they grow as important characters as you level up:

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 9:07AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Oooh Snap :)

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 12:38AM (Unverified) said

BBB is a snare and a racket.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 9:44AM KDolo said

So what is this article saying? That the game doesn't present lore in an interesting- or cohesive-enough manner so most people skip the lore entirely and it's OUR fault?

It's hard to read blocks of text from an NPC when they're constantly getting mobbed by waves of invaders.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 10:14AM Gaugamela said

@KDolo

No, the game presents the lore in the same way as most other MMOs, including WoW present. But if you want to know more about it you have to dig deeper to find more about it in the game.

If you are lazy enough to read a couple of lines of quest text then it is your fault and speaks volumes about your level of literacy.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 10:34AM KDolo said

• Half a heart
@Gaugamela

I never said every other MMO does lore better. I said RIFT does it badly. This is supposed to be a game, not a book. Additionally, if you have to dig for the lore then it's an afterthought. This is clearly the case with RIFT since the game is not designed around an immerssive world but around goatse holes ripped in the sky and spilling monsters at random all over the countryside.

And I read just fine, but nice ad hom. Not that I have to prove anything to you but im currently reading John Fante's Arturo Bandini series. What's the last book YOU read that wasn't High School required reading?

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 4:21PM Gaugamela said

@KDolo

For someone who reads a lot you sure lack comprehension.
The game has a lot of lore for those that want to find out more about it:
- Open up your character sheet by pressing C and go to the books tab. You can collect books spread out in the world and read them and they have plenty of small stories of this world.
- Go to the artifact tab and read the two or three lines of each collection. Some of them have little snipets of information and some are even humorous.
- The quests, if one bothers to read the text actually have some interesting stories. You have questlines that span the entire leveling like the Saga of the Endless questline. Each area also has their specific storylines and some of them are more interesting, others worse. For example the Moonshade Highlands has a great storyline involving the lost city of the Dwarves and the Death Rifts.
- Then you have some noticeable NPCs that you see throughout your leveling process and that have their own storylines.

As I said the game has plenty of lore to offer but if you don't give a damn about it and don't bother to dig for it (as you dig for artifacts and explore a lot in this game) then a lot will fly over your head.

As for the last book that wasn't high school required reading that I finished reading: Gomorrah from Roberto Saviano. Right now I am reading Wise Man's Fear from Patrick Rothfuss. :)
And my high school years are long behind me mate. I lost count to how many books I read since then. I love reading.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 10:05AM (Unverified) said

Rift features an original IP. The more you invest the more you'll be rewarded with plenty of story, lore, etc ... I'm not sure how anyone could think there's no cohesive or interesting stuff here - they just don't want to absorb anything new I guess.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 11:28AM (Unverified) said

I enjoyed the snippet of lore and look forward to reading the continuation.

I'm also squarely in the camp of those that don't understand how anyone can say that this game has no lore or that it is an afterthought. There is a LOT of it in-game if you take the time to read the quests and some of the other extra dialogue options. The Guardian starting area even has a set of 12-14 books that you can collect as artifacts and add to your "collection" -- which is it's own tab in your character panel.

I don't know if people are just lazy, expect to be spoon-fed or some combination of both. There comes a point wherein if story is integrated too heavily into the game play (questing), you end up with very linear progression. The game starts to feel like it's on rails and the player becomes more of a spectator than actually becoming a part of the lore themselves.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 4:41PM winterborn said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Umm origional IP ?
Nope the Rift idea was borrowed from another game called, wait for it............... Rifts.

So they added a S in the name and tailored a story or lore to thier Rift/s game. I dont think Palladium? will win the lawsuit but its obvious trion borrowed ALOT of things.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 1:26PM Gloon said

I fully admit to being lazy and not reading 99% of the text in-game. Actually, it's more a product of the fact that I don't have much time to play at all these days and I prefer to spend what little time I do have to play on crafting and combat. Perhaps, if my free time increases, I'll roll an alt and pay more attention to the in-game lore. What little I've experienced thus far seems very well done.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 3:14PM Joshinu said

@Gloon
This is what I have done. I'm almost level 50 on my main and pushed through not reading much of the quest text since I want to hit 50 for the final portion of the River of Souls event. I made an alt mage that I am going to take through the game at a much slower pace to get the story and lore of each zone. I know the lore is there but I decided to pass on story for my first character to hit cap quickly. The nice thing is that Trion is giving you the option to power through and not go through all the RP/lore stuff if that's what you want to do. If you want the lore you have access to it the entire time you level. At least it isn't like some games where you have a cut scene after you take two steps to spoon feed you the lore whether you want it or not.

Posted: Apr 14th 2011 4:43PM winterborn said

Oops I mean removed a S not added one.