Posted: Apr 12th 2011 2:03PM (Unverified) said

Well, the man is clearly a gaming genius and has a lot of insight to offer. His top ten gaming list is also remarkably similar to my own, save for the arcade game and the Football manager. I'd probably replace those with some tawdry FPS or two.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 2:21PM copperbird said

He didn't mention Elite, he's gone down in my opinion.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 2:26PM SgtBaker1234556 said

Yay, BatMUD!

Anyhow.

"Players shouldn't be playing to "learn more"; they should be playing for fun. Academics and journalists play to learn; players play for fun."

So much truth in couple simple sentences it almost brought a tear in my old gamer eye.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 3:11PM Dunraven said

My Dad showed me a couple muds that are still ongoing, and how things were before M59 Ultima Online and EQ. Gaming today needs more people like this, he would probably never do it for any amount of money but I would love to see him as lead producer for a MMO.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 4:02PM Ebaon said

I'm still happy to say that many MUDs are still thriving today! I would highly recommend checking out the soon to be released Lithmeria for a seriously awesome MUD. I know that I can't wait to play this thing! Long live MUDs!

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 8:37AM Dread said

Gah! Bartle again...he's another Garriot...except Garriot has done a few things since 1978.....ok, another Lum the Mad then...no wait, Jennings aint done squat....inbetween those two then

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 2:29PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Dread

And you? Pray tell us about the songs written in your honour?

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 11:16AM plausitron said

Thanks for the vote of confidence in Ancient Anguish, Richard Bartle! Nineteen years of active development, a strong community, an immersive world, and engaging areas make AA a true gem. Come for idle chat and board games, adventuring and questing, or even join our ranks of coders and design a new area yourself.

Always free to play and no pay-for-perks or cash shop, give it a try today!

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 2:25PM Nepentheia said

*chuckles*

Wow, Bartle does not contend with contrived bulls**t at all. He's so refreshingly blunt!

I think what's so glaringly absent from current games is actualizing the concept of creating a *whole* world for people to be in. Nowadays its about stuffing various game systems into some thing people run around in.

Posted: Apr 13th 2011 6:04PM (Unverified) said

Dread>Gah! Bartle again...he's another Garriot...except Garriot has done a few things since 1978.....

I don't know if you spotted, but this piece is called "The Game Archaeologist". It's not about people who have done things since 1978, it's about people who did things in 1978...

Richard

Posted: May 25th 2011 12:12PM RTrubshaw said

If anyone is interested the move from Macro-10 assembler version to the BCPL version was brought about by the fact that I had at that time recently gained access to the source files for an updated version of the original "Colossal Cave" adventure game. Known as "ADVENT" on the DEC 10.

ADVENT was written in ForTran IV and attempted to split the implementation into an in-memory database and code to interpret it. However there were masses of special case code. E.g. for the Pirate and the Bear. And there was also the fact that the database was basically a series of tables of numbers that were read into arrays of various sorts. I felt that their had to be a better way and this lead to the first implementation of Muddle, which I wrote the 'compiler' for in the Christmas vacation.

Of course having written a compiler I needed to prove that it would work so I needed an Interpreter and this is the point that Richard got involved in a much more hands on way E.g. pushing me to code in templating for implementing commands. Up until this point there was one verb = one action, which meant that one could open a door but not an umbrella - which is the original reason that you can 'unfurl' an umbrella. Richard "poured scorn" (humorously of course) on the idea that people would memorise loads of synonyms for all the 'action' words so I implemented something to "get him off my back". He was also instrumental in helping me to understand the ins and outs of traditional D&D combat systems and acting as a great sounding board for the original combat code.

Oh happy days!

Regards,
Roy

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM