Posted: Apr 12th 2011 8:40AM (Unverified) said

@The Ogre True, but think of how dead Stormwind and Ogrimmar and the like were during Wrath when everyone hung out in Dalaran and only went back to the main cities for training and the auction house. That's the sole reason they never put auction houses in Dalaran. It's also a big reason why there was such a push to get people -back- in the main areas of Azeroth in Cataclysm. New players would get into these main cities and with everyone in Dalaran it wasn't an active place. So they closed down those portals and got people back into these areas again.

You can't keep every zone full of activity, and I am not trying to say Blizzard has done it perfectly, it was just an example. But if they were to put instanced player homes in -on top- of what they already have, then yes the world would seem even emptier. It's one of the reasons I keep hoping Trion won't give in and do it for Rift. I'm not against the idea of farming plots or housing, it just needs to be done differently. Instanced areas for individuals is not the way to go.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 9:40AM The Ogre said

@(Unverified)

That push to get people back into Azeroth (and there wasn't a problem back then, really: Orgrimmar & Stormwind had plenty of people during at least the first 5 months of WotLK before I let my subscription lapse, as did Undercity and Ironforge, but now the latter two are almost as unpopulated as Darnassus and the Exodar!) did nothing but cause lag in Org & Storm and empty out Shattrath...

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 11:40PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
In a game for adults I agree, although a lot of players in our games love housing. In Free Realms that isn't the case. We have a simple system that lets players discover each other's houses and housing is the biggest thing in the game (although farming is going nuts right now so we'll see).

Long term I'd love to see non-instanced housing because I wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying.

Smed

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 7:43AM Naru now in 3D said

When I first read the title, I thought Free Realms died!

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 10:50AM Carolina said

I don't see how it would be so bad to remove some mammoth riding players on top of mailboxes from SW/Org to an instanced housing neighborhood.

Besides, if there are both players who would love the peace and quiet of their own housing, and those who like to have a game that feels "alive", then there would be space for both. Who likes housing will be there, who likes to feel the "life" in the games will be around towns.

Another thing is, if housing has no bank, AH or crafting limitations, people won't stay there all the time. And not everyone likes housing systems. But that is just me, and I don't care to log into some areas of the world that are not packed with people, even being towns. That feels more like a town, to have people pass every now and then, then to have this pack of full plated warriors sitting on some bank stairs. Are they beggars or something?

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 10:51AM Lateris said

I wish SWG would go back to the Uncle Owen concept.

Posted: Apr 12th 2011 1:03PM DevilSei said

@Lateris
You mean accept the kid of an unstable Force-powered loon, then raise the ungrateful brat until you get a heaping helping of Napalm?